Thread poster: Ravishankar Govindraj
Ravishankar Govindraj
Ravishankar Govindraj
India
Local time: 02:48
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Nov 2, 2006

When I registered with proz.com I declared my native languages to be A and B. Now you have redone most of the site and features and finally I am told that I have applied for these credentials from you guys.

Sorry I do not need to apply to you guys for anything. Please appreciate that declaration is totally defferent from application in your oun native language. This situation has arisen because of a total lack of understanding in the field of languages and translation.

... See more
When I registered with proz.com I declared my native languages to be A and B. Now you have redone most of the site and features and finally I am told that I have applied for these credentials from you guys.

Sorry I do not need to apply to you guys for anything. Please appreciate that declaration is totally defferent from application in your oun native language. This situation has arisen because of a total lack of understanding in the field of languages and translation.

Now Balasubramaniam has a raging forum with more than 57 posts discussing whether a person can learn many languages to the level of a native's proficiency. Please let everyone know that translation is an intellectual endeavor and different from speech, for which nativity is a negligible parameter.

I need a definite response about the morality of changing my declaration into an application, without prior information from proz.com especially when there is no last word about the measure of nativity of any person's language.

A 1000 members of proz.com can not pass any judgement on language issues which have millions to be addressed to. Let us think about this a little seriously.

[Edited at 2006-11-02 15:19]

[Edited at 2006-11-02 15:20]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:18
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I'm not sure I fully understand you, but- Nov 2, 2006

at the moment I see only your working languages at your profile, but not native ones. However, ProZ hasn't introduced any new standards regarding declaration of native languages, so most probably your native languages were lost because of some bug during transfer from old profile design to the new one (there were enough bugs in the process, most of them corrected now) and you can set your native languages in your page (Owner's view) - Settings- Native language(s). No permission of any kind from ... See more
at the moment I see only your working languages at your profile, but not native ones. However, ProZ hasn't introduced any new standards regarding declaration of native languages, so most probably your native languages were lost because of some bug during transfer from old profile design to the new one (there were enough bugs in the process, most of them corrected now) and you can set your native languages in your page (Owner's view) - Settings- Native language(s). No permission of any kind from anyone is needed in order to do that.

In the name of ProZ.com I apologise for inconveniences caused and hope that settles the case.

Thank you for your understanding,

Uldis

Ravishankar Govindraj wrote:

Collapse

Ravishankar Govindraj
Ravishankar Govindraj
India
Local time: 02:48
English to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but the Problem Persists Nov 3, 2006

Thanks for your kind response. The problem is I am unable to set 'my native languages in my page (Owner's view) - Settings- Native language(s).'

The entire text is pasted here for reference:

Native language
Declare your native language

Coming Soon: ProZ.com Native Speaker Credential
If you are a native speaker of more than one language, ProZ.com will soon give you the opportunity to prove it.

You may apply in advance for
... See more
Thanks for your kind response. The problem is I am unable to set 'my native languages in my page (Owner's view) - Settings- Native language(s).'

The entire text is pasted here for reference:

Native language
Declare your native language

Coming Soon: ProZ.com Native Speaker Credential
If you are a native speaker of more than one language, ProZ.com will soon give you the opportunity to prove it.

You may apply in advance for ProZ.com Native Speaker credentials in your native languages. There might be a fee for this service.

You have applied for the following ProZ.com Native Speaker credentials

Telugu
Tamil

The second line does not have a link. The next two paragraphs are self explanatory. The next sentence tells me that I have 'applied for proz.com native speaker credentials', which I have not done. All that I had done when I registered was to declare that the two languages were native to me. Declaring is different from applying. By interpreting declaring as applying I feel proz.com is assuming an authority which was not vested in it. This becomes significant when it intends to start a service at fee in the future.

And the site does not provide a link to modify, upgarde or correct my declaration.

So the problem is unresolved. My declaration is declaration, I ought to have the freedom to correct or upgrade it. And it is not an application conceding my agreement for proz.com to act in any manner regarding my declaration either at present or future.

As far as the unscientific concepts of native language and mother tongue are concerned, especially with respect to the profession of translation my views may be aired in other forums.

Hope I have made my problem and the bug clearer.

Thanks and Regards

Ravishankar G
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Native Language How and Why?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »