Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Hijacking of our Proz. profile information by Indian site (Mod: ProZ.com staff are working on it)
Thread poster: CJG (X)
TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Look on the bright side, Kevin, ... Sep 29, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:
... though who the wanker is in the picture for my alleged profile I don't know ...

... at least he's got some hair.

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:57
Arabic to English
+ ...
I just had a chat with my Indian alter ego Sep 29, 2008

My profile is on the site. I called the mobile number listed as my own and spoke with the person who answered. I pretended to be a potential customer and asked for a quote on an AR-EN translation and he asked me to email him the document. I then told him the truth and that I wanted my profile removed. He apologized and said it had already been removed but that "Google has yet to update all its databases". In India, he said, my profile was no longer accessible. He said all the other stolen ... See more
My profile is on the site. I called the mobile number listed as my own and spoke with the person who answered. I pretended to be a potential customer and asked for a quote on an AR-EN translation and he asked me to email him the document. I then told him the truth and that I wanted my profile removed. He apologized and said it had already been removed but that "Google has yet to update all its databases". In India, he said, my profile was no longer accessible. He said all the other stolen profiles were being identified and removed one at a time, so please be patient, blah blah blah. In short, the guy is very dishonest but such a bad liar it's almost humorous!

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Nathalie Elson wrote:

Does anybody know if gmail could actually ban the email address/IP address they use for say identity theft or something similar? I can't find anywhere how to contact google to report a gmail user. But it would at least be a start, even if only temporary.

This is what I found on Google's site:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=58347&topic=12787

Impersonation

If you believe someone has created a Gmail address in an attempt to impersonate your identity, you may wish to file a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov), a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center.

In addition, we recommend contacting your state's Office of Consumer Protection.

Gmail is unable to participate in mediations involving third parties regarding impersonation. To read the Gmail Terms of Use, please visit: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/terms_of_use.html

Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
French to English
+ ...
Scary Sep 29, 2008

yes, I'm there too - this is seriously scary. Surely something can be done about these fraudsters?

Claire

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:57
Spanish
+ ...
Ram Kesarwani Sep 29, 2008

This is the information on Whois:

domain: translationindia.com
created: 28-Jun-2004
last-changed: 24-Aug-2008
registration-expiration: 28-Jun-2009

nserver: ns1.hostingstudioz.com 67.228.93.59
nserver: ns2.hostingstudioz.com 74.86.201.190

registrant-firstname: Ram
registrant-lastname: Kesarwani
registrant-organ
... See more

nserver: ns1.hostingstudioz.com 67.228.93.59
nserver: ns2.hostingstudioz.com 74.86.201.190

registrant-firstname: Ram
registrant-lastname: Kesarwani
registrant-organization: Info Lingua
registrant-street1: K- 42 B.K. Dutt Colony, Lodhi Road
registrant-street2: ..
registrant-pcode: 110003
registrant-city: New Delhi
registrant-ccode: IN
registrant-phone: +91.1124625364
registrant-fax: +91.1124625364
registrant-email: [email protected]

Check out this guy's email domain: planetindia.net. That site seems very legit as well, probably another scam.

So what can we do?
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Planet India Sep 29, 2008

If you notice, Planet India's contact information in the USA and Switzerland doesn't include any phone numbers, and the Indian phone number doesn't have the India prefix.

INDIA
A 51 A Hauz Khas
New Delhi - 110 016
Tel.: 011 - 2696 2129
Fax: 011 - 2651 0156

SWITZERLAND
Beau Site 25, P.O. Box 17,
CH 2400, LeLocle
Fax: 0329 - 317 439

USA
1442 Paseo Maravilla
San Dimas,
CA 91773
<
... See more
If you notice, Planet India's contact information in the USA and Switzerland doesn't include any phone numbers, and the Indian phone number doesn't have the India prefix.

INDIA
A 51 A Hauz Khas
New Delhi - 110 016
Tel.: 011 - 2696 2129
Fax: 011 - 2651 0156

SWITZERLAND
Beau Site 25, P.O. Box 17,
CH 2400, LeLocle
Fax: 0329 - 317 439

USA
1442 Paseo Maravilla
San Dimas,
CA 91773

11505 Craig Court, Suite 206,
St. Louis,
MO 63146
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
blatent piracy Sep 29, 2008

What's the point of telling your friends? I just looked at the Dutch-English profiles on the site (519 in number according to the language pair selection page) and everybody I know from Kudoz (and lots of other people) are there.

And they have the brazen gall to post a copyright notice on the site...

Incidentally, the Proz privacy policy says (among other things):

Security of the information

ProZ.com has attempted to create a dat
... See more
What's the point of telling your friends? I just looked at the Dutch-English profiles on the site (519 in number according to the language pair selection page) and everybody I know from Kudoz (and lots of other people) are there.

And they have the brazen gall to post a copyright notice on the site...

Incidentally, the Proz privacy policy says (among other things):

Security of the information

ProZ.com has attempted to create a database that is secure from theft. In order to collect the personal information listed above, it would be necessary for a thief to bypass password protections, etc., that have been put in place to protect user information.

Control of the information

Members have full control over their personal information and the manner in which it is used. Members who wish to change any of the information they have provided, may do so at any time.

Apparently the protection isn't good enough (or the pirate had inside help), and 'members have full control over their personal information...' is subject to interpretation.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:57
English to French
+ ...
Questions Sep 29, 2008

I have two simple questions:

1. Has anybody seen me by chance on that website?
2. Is anybody willing to provide any proof of this having occurred?

I would just like to bring to your attention that if your identity has been stolen, it is not ProZ's job to protect it, even if the data was taken from this site. It is your identity that was usurped and it is your reputation that has suffered. While it was ProZ's job to keep your data safe, it is not ProZ who will suff
... See more

I would just like to bring to your attention that if your identity has been stolen, it is not ProZ's job to protect it, even if the data was taken from this site. It is your identity that was usurped and it is your reputation that has suffered. While it was ProZ's job to keep your data safe, it is not ProZ who will suffer from this, but the freelancers whose personal data was stolen. So, if legal action is to be taken, it should come directly from those whose personal information was stolen.

I am not a lawyer, but informally, I would like to suggest that everybody do their own legal homework on this. If my identity was usurped, I will take it to court. Who knows the damage done to my reputation? Also, people need to learn that you just can't steal personal info like that - what better way to go about it than legal action?

[Edited at 2008-09-29 22:26]
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jumping to conclusions ... Sep 29, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Check out this guy's email domain: planetindia.net. That site seems very legit as well, probably another scam.

Claudia Alvis wrote:

The fact that the 'registrant-email' is the sales department of a web-hosting company in no way implies that planetindia.net is not perfectly leigitimate and above-board. It is not at all unusual for a web-hoster to register the domain name of its clients.

Nor is it uncommon for people not to include the international code when publishing their phone numbers for 'in-country' readership. FWIW, the Swiss fax number, although missing the code for Switzerland, does have the correct area code for La Locle.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with planetindia.net.

MediaMatrix

BirgitBerlin
BirgitBerlin  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I am on there too... Sep 29, 2008

... and the person's photo on the profile isn't even female, although my first name is obviously female!
This is scary. They have even copied my project history and even my "user message"!
I want it removed now!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 29, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

You are no. 928 on their list.

Proof? - I just searched for you in the 'Canada' list.

MediaMatrix

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
French to English
+ ...
Here you are, sadly Sep 29, 2008

[quote]Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Check out the link below:

http://www.translationindia.com/Resume/Resume928.html

[Edited at 2008-09-29 22:38]

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Outrageous! Sep 30, 2008

Outrageous in at least 4 ways.

1. They've missed my beautiful profile. Shame, as I am in a fighting mood right now

2. They think they can do as they please? Not only should the profiles be removed from that "website" asap, but compensation for colleagues "listed" by them should follow! I'm sure it's doable, one way or the other. There's a "bit" of one's professional image at stake, right?

3. E
... See more
Outrageous in at least 4 ways.

1. They've missed my beautiful profile. Shame, as I am in a fighting mood right now

2. They think they can do as they please? Not only should the profiles be removed from that "website" asap, but compensation for colleagues "listed" by them should follow! I'm sure it's doable, one way or the other. There's a "bit" of one's professional image at stake, right?

3. Exactly how long does it take the ProZ.com staff to locate, identify and "neutralise" [ok, annihilate!] the "object"? I beg your pardon... This is a clear case of data AND identity theft. I thought the US law was quite specific and worldwide effective on this. Or so I heard...

4. Nobody as yet has reported this to a talented hacker they know? Might be useful. I'd love to see that "website" crushed and burning. ;D

Kind regards to all of you.
Agnieszka

PS.: Did I already mention my hate for all sorts of Internet scum?
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
I doubt it Sep 30, 2008

mediamatrix wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:

The fact that the 'registrant-email' is the sales department of a web-hosting company in no way implies that planetindia.net is not perfectly leigitimate and above-board. It is not at all unusual for a web-hoster to register the domain name of its clients.

Nor is it uncommon for people not to include the international code when publishing their phone numbers for 'in-country' readership. FWIW, the Swiss fax number, although missing the code for Switzerland, does have the correct area code for La Locle.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with planetindia.net.

MediaMatrix

I really doubt it. Usually, when the registrant information is kept hidden and the hosting provider's information appear instead, ALL the information of the registrant is kept hidden. In this case, the phone number of the registrant and **start of sarcastic tone** Mr. Kesarwani's **end of sarcastic tone** are the same.

By the way, this is the company's Blue Board record: http://www.proz.com/blueboard/7253

I also talked to someone that had worked with this person and apparently he's a real translator, albeit an extremely dishonest/fraudulent one.

[Edited at 2008-09-30 00:44]

Lorena Vicente
Lorena Vicente  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion Sep 30, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I can´t believe this! They have even copied/pasted Proz´s layout...

For future reference and in case of legal action, it would be a good idea to capture your profile on their site (you may also use print screen).

Lorena

Lorena Vicente | Technical, Scientific, and Literary Translator - EN ES

[Edited at 2008-09-30 01:22]

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 03:27
Clearly malafide Sep 30, 2008

I've found my details on the site as well.

There is clear malafide intention in the impersonation. Not only are the phone numbers and e-mail addresses cooked, but the city of residence as well. In my case, the impersonator has even added his own phrases such as "I completed many other small-to-medium sized technical translation projects." This shows the impersonator had every intention of customizing the data stolen to suit his convenience.

More than impersonation o
... See more
I've found my details on the site as well.

There is clear malafide intention in the impersonation. Not only are the phone numbers and e-mail addresses cooked, but the city of residence as well. In my case, the impersonator has even added his own phrases such as "I completed many other small-to-medium sized technical translation projects." This shows the impersonator had every intention of customizing the data stolen to suit his convenience.

More than impersonation of individual translators, this appears to be large scale theft of data from ProZ servers for illegal purposes.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hijacking of our Proz. profile information by Indian site (Mod: ProZ.com staff are working on it)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »