Uploaded CVs: How public are they?
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Italian to English
Sep 11, 2003

An old school friend sent me an E-mail this week - the first contact for 30 years.
He found me by entering my name in Google and it brought up my ProZ.com CV (not my profile).
It doesn't work in Altavista however.
Personally I have no reason to want greater privacy but others might prefer to restrict access to those with a genuine reason for searching via the ProZ.com site.
Shouldn't this accessibility at least be publicised on the appropriate profile editing page?

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Russell Sep 11, 2003

I remember the first time I discovered that I could be found in Google. I had been contacted as a teacher, because of the data in my CV.
I think I was scared. Now I know, I got used to it, I've been contacted by old friends and I've looked for old friends too, but it's a good idea to warn about it, at least.

Another point is about the contacting pros feature, as we can receive e-mails through our profiles. There has been some abuse (hate mails, advertising mails...) and ProZ S
... See more
I remember the first time I discovered that I could be found in Google. I had been contacted as a teacher, because of the data in my CV.
I think I was scared. Now I know, I got used to it, I've been contacted by old friends and I've looked for old friends too, but it's a good idea to warn about it, at least.

Another point is about the contacting pros feature, as we can receive e-mails through our profiles. There has been some abuse (hate mails, advertising mails...) and ProZ Staff has implemented a filter, you can now select

Profile mail preferences
Allow anyone to send me mail via my profile page
Allow only ProZ.com members who are logged in to send me mail via my profile
Allow no one to send me mail via my profile page

And it's also possible to block somebody if you know his/her ISP.

It seems that through the search engines you can find much more than the key words.
It's useful to know it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uploaded CVs: How public are they?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »