Thread poster: Elvira Bianco
Elvira Bianco
Elvira Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 13, 2009

According proz policy "Profiles of users who have chosen to remain anonymous can only be found by entering the username".
Does anybody know why this rule exist?
I always supposed professionals and wouldbe translators enter this website to gain visibility on the net, agencies can look at their page and offer them jobs...we all know that.
As a matter of fact if I enter this website and I prefer to remain anonymous I would be invisible.
Did anybody ever asked himself who are
... See more
According proz policy "Profiles of users who have chosen to remain anonymous can only be found by entering the username".
Does anybody know why this rule exist?
I always supposed professionals and wouldbe translators enter this website to gain visibility on the net, agencies can look at their page and offer them jobs...we all know that.
As a matter of fact if I enter this website and I prefer to remain anonymous I would be invisible.
Did anybody ever asked himself who are the invisible users and what are they here for?
Did anybody ever checked how many 5 rating were placed on Blue Board by invisible users?
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reasons for anonymity Dec 14, 2009

Hi Elvira,

I've often had the same thoughts as you: If you are not going to use your real name, what is the point of being here? I also don't think that it particularly enhances one's credibility for commercial purposes to use monnikers--of either the glib or incomprehensible variety. I imagine that the answer of those who make such choices is that they don't use proz.com for commercial purposes--which is of course all well and good. But it still begs the question.

I k
... See more
Hi Elvira,

I've often had the same thoughts as you: If you are not going to use your real name, what is the point of being here? I also don't think that it particularly enhances one's credibility for commercial purposes to use monnikers--of either the glib or incomprehensible variety. I imagine that the answer of those who make such choices is that they don't use proz.com for commercial purposes--which is of course all well and good. But it still begs the question.

I know of one case where a woman had been harrassed and therefore prefers not to use her real identity for reasons of self-protection. This I can certainly understand. I have no idea what reasons others might have, but I would be interested in finding out. Perhaps some of those who have chosen to remain anonymous can enlighten us.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Post deleted by poster
Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other reasons Dec 14, 2009

The first possibility that comes to mind after reading Elvira's thread is that they are created fictionally by fraudulent outsourcers for the purpose of posting 5s to their WWA stats.
There are some other reasons, however, why a commercial user might want to be anonymous: to avoid business and income taxes; as an in-house translator to hide from the employer the fact that one is moon-lighting; and to evade a reputation for doing bad work. I'm sure there are more.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Elvira Bianco
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Jessica you real got to the point: Dec 14, 2009

"The first possibility that comes to mind after reading Elvira's thread is that they are created fictionally by fraudulent outsourcers for the purpose of posting 5s to their WWA stats."

I wasn't talking about professionals using a nickname instead of their username (I have my nick too). I'm talking about invisible users.
Yesterday I spent some time checking the BB of an agency with which I had an unpleasant experience. I was curious to find out how could other professional hav
... See more
"The first possibility that comes to mind after reading Elvira's thread is that they are created fictionally by fraudulent outsourcers for the purpose of posting 5s to their WWA stats."

I wasn't talking about professionals using a nickname instead of their username (I have my nick too). I'm talking about invisible users.
Yesterday I spent some time checking the BB of an agency with which I had an unpleasant experience. I was curious to find out how could other professional have all this WWA to give them 5.
One of them was agency's owner himself (already submitted to support to staff) and other 3 users were invisible users; when I say they are invisible I mean that when searching either by username or real name I got the result that there were no members with either that nick or real name.
To get to the point: someone had registered on proz just to give the rating and either remained invisible or left proz.com
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Elvira, are you sure you are seeing things correctly? Dec 14, 2009

Elvira,
I saw your post yesterday (in the other thread) and I think I know which agency you are talking about. I looked at their BB record, and yes, I see the 9 entries you mentioned, 8 of them are 5's and yours is a 1. As a paying member, I have full access to the BB, and I see the names of all those that posted the ratings, none of them left the site. I can click on their name and see their profiles.
Former users, who deleted their profiles, would have their names or nicks displa
... See more
Elvira,
I saw your post yesterday (in the other thread) and I think I know which agency you are talking about. I looked at their BB record, and yes, I see the 9 entries you mentioned, 8 of them are 5's and yours is a 1. As a paying member, I have full access to the BB, and I see the names of all those that posted the ratings, none of them left the site. I can click on their name and see their profiles.
Former users, who deleted their profiles, would have their names or nicks displayed with xxx before it.
So, it is either that I am looking at a different agency (would be weird to find two agencies with the same description you gave in the other thread), or you have a different view. I see you are not a full member, which means your access to the BB is limited.
Perhaps what you see is due to this limitation?
Katalin
Collapse

Elvira Bianco
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you are right Dec 15, 2009

Hi, Katilin
I think you are right. Maybe as no-paying member I don't see all details to identify users.

Thank you

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Posting self-LWA entries in not in line with site rules Dec 15, 2009

Hello all,

Jessica Noyes wrote:

The first possibility that comes to mind after reading Elvira's thread is that they are created fictionally by fraudulent outsourcers for the purpose of posting 5s to their WWA stats.

Note that Blue Board rules state that outsourcers, and owners and employees of outsourcing companies listed in the Blue Board, may not make entries concerning their "likelihood of working again" with themselves or their companies.

So, if you suspect that any outsourcer is posting LWA feedback for their own company, please submit a support request and provide all relevant evidence or information so that staff can look into it and enforce the above mentioned rule accordingly. Just remember that forums rules state that outsourcers are not to be discussed publicly in forums.

Many thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anonymous users?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »