"Professional Translation Services" — what is this?
Thread poster: NGK
NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
May 27, 2005

I just noticed, for the first time, the ProZ section "Translation Services" (http://www.proz.com/translation-services).

Is this new or have I just never noticed it?

And what determines who is listed there and in what order?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:18
English to German
+ ...
New function, methinks May 28, 2005

Hi Norbert,
Looks like a new development on the basis of the new directory. I have asked Henry to comment.

Best, Ralf

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Old wine in new bottles May 28, 2005

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:

I just noticed, for the first time, the ProZ section "Translation Services" (http://www.proz.com/translation-services).

Is this new or have I just never noticed it?

And what determines who is listed there and in what order?

It's a new way to "look for a translator". You can look in the "directory" free lancers or agencies or use this new one which look for the two at the same time.

The criteria are the same as before : platinum / non-platinum, spercialities and the number of points.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Italian to English
+ ...
Other criteria? May 28, 2005

The criteria are the same as before : platinum / non-platinum, spercialities and the number of points.

There must be some other criteria or sort options we're not seeing. Within the two communities I frequent, there are a lot of names I don't recognize, or at least they're not very active within the SCs.

R.
==

[Edited at 2005-05-28 16:27]

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Italian to English
+ ...
re: Professional Translation Services - what is this? May 29, 2005

lien wrote:

It's a new way to "look for a translator". You can look in the "directory" free lancers or agencies or use this new one which look for the two at the same time.

Not at all: platinum and non-platinum members are mixed (see under Directory->Translation Services). Maybe this is the non-ranked list some people have been asking for? Members are grouped in blocks of plat/non-plat, though, so I'm not sure how that could be random(?).

[Edited at 2005-05-29 09:33]

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Where are the other languages?? May 29, 2005

The list of languages seems very limited to me...

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
There is no Kudoz ranking either - Casual (fixed??) order Jun 11, 2005

To find my own page through that link a client should discard many pages of choices, whith no reason for doing so.

I have noticed that "remondini" (No Plat, 0 KudoZ) is the first name in both EN>IT and FR>IT + second in DE>IT!

All in all it looks just as advertisment for the first names in the lists. Is there any rotation criteria involved?

If not, this should be fixed quickly!

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 05:18
English
List Page Jun 15, 2005

Luca Tutino wrote:

To find my own page through that link a client should discard many pages of choices, whith no reason for doing so.

I have noticed that "remondini" (No Plat, 0 KudoZ) is the first name in both EN>IT and FR>IT + second in DE>IT!

All in all it looks just as advertisment for the first names in the lists. Is there any rotation criteria involved?

If not, this should be fixed quickly!

Hi Luca,

The Professional Translation Services page is a list of language pairs organized in an easy manner. KudoZ points do not play a factor, the page is used for quick listings of translators and easy indexing of ProZ.com member profile's by search engines. You have a better chance of getting picked up by a specific search keyword now, such as "biotechnology translator" (if that is something emphasized in your profile). We are increasing the overall exposure to ProZ.com members through this method.

Regards, Justin

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
OK, but... Jun 15, 2005

Hi Justin,

...the page is used for quick listings of translators and easy indexing of ProZ.com member profile's by search engines.

OK, fine, but which are the criteria that brought to those specific listing orders of ProZ.com profiles per language pair? Keywords? (a profile on top of two listings seems to have no keywords (are they hidden by code?!) Or is it really random?

Thanks for an explanation.

Giuliana

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
what keywords? Jun 15, 2005

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

OK, fine, but which are the criteria that brought to those specific listing orders of ProZ.com profiles per language pair? Keywords? (a profile on top of two listings seems to have no keywords (are they hidden by code?!) Or is it really random?

yes, same doubts here also.. I have scrolled through the pages and cannot find my name ..what kind of keywords are required other than those indicated in my profile? if it's random my name should still appear sooner or later but I still can't find it

[Edited at 2005-06-15 22:02]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
ah..easy indexing Jun 16, 2005

I see, it is only easy indexing and listing of all profiles for more exposure.

Giuliana

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
good SEO technique Jun 17, 2005

I think it'll get the site much hight in the search engine result pages as well. The page contains much more keywords that people would type to find a site like Proz.

Good move

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Professional Translation Services" — what is this?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »