Prices/rates on profiles - who are they aimed at?
Thread poster: markj
markj
markj
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2006

Hi

Can anyone tell me whether the prices/rates displayed on profiles are meant for agencies, direct clients or both?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:17
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
It depends May 25, 2006

Hi Mark,
it depends. If your profile is visited by many direct clients, you should consider that.
My profile is mainly visited by agencies and colleagues.

http://www.proz.com/faq/rates#rates_entering
"After an initial one week period, rates can be modified only once every three months."
(..)
If you are not comfortable entering a specific range of r
... See more
Hi Mark,
it depends. If your profile is visited by many direct clients, you should consider that.
My profile is mainly visited by agencies and colleagues.

http://www.proz.com/faq/rates#rates_entering
"After an initial one week period, rates can be modified only once every three months."
(..)
If you are not comfortable entering a specific range of rates, consider adding a note to your profile page that says
"Rates are for estimation purposes only, and are subject to change upon review of the job."

By the way: my rates are not visible, because I do not see the advantage of it.
Regards
Steffi

[Edited at 2006-05-25 13:50]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
There is one advantage in displaying one's rates May 25, 2006

Tuliparola wrote:

By the way: my rates are not visible, because I do not see the advantage of it.

Now that I have my rates displayed, potential requestors for information know in advance what to expect in terms of rates, so I get much less unprompted messages. And I no longer waste my time replying to agencies that are only after cheap rates.

As I live in Africa, the layman thinks you can get anything for much cheaper than in more industrialized continents. Yes, a kilo of oranges is 3-5 times cheaper, as well as the minimum wage. But just compare the price of a car or LCD screen in Morocco and in Europe and you'll see that it is the other way round for many goods/services that a translator needs.

I display these rates to agencies because I have never been in contact with direct customers through Proz.com. If ever it happens, of course they cannot expect this price.

All the best,
Philippe

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I'd be curious... May 25, 2006

Philippe Etienne wrote:
I have never been in contact with direct customers through Proz.com.
Philippe

...to know how many Proz members have been contacted by direct customers. Probably not many. I'm not putting down Proz but I do think they should find some way to attract more direct customers.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Proz already high ranked May 26, 2006

Hey Joe,
Proz is very high ranked, at least that is what I see at Google.
But you have to have the right and enough keywords, in order to attract direct clients via search engines.

And by the way: the more Kudoz you got the more visits by spiders.

Regards
Steffi

RCS
RCS
English to Spanish
Direct Client v Agencies May 30, 2006

John Walsh wrote:

Philippe Etienne wrote:
I have never been in contact with direct customers through Proz.com.
Philippe

...to know how many Proz members have been contacted by direct customers. Probably not many. I'm not putting down Proz but I do think they should find some way to attract more direct customers.

According to the members' posts, very few people did any work for direct clients (which could have improved their rate).

Sadly, it seems that ProZ can only be valuable for those who either are new in the trade or, because they lack local work must search out there for clients.

I have been offered many times to become a paid member (last offer with lower monthly payments and even a webpage).

And that's OK. From the point of view of ProZ, more is better.

To date I still don't see the point, as much as I wouldn't mind to increase my flow of work.

To begin with, I don't want to enter into a bidding frenzy with a bunch of strangers who may or may not be qualified (everyone looks great online).

Even if I should "win" the job, this agencies will make me wait 30/60 days to get my money.

It's entertaining to visit ProZ a few times a year, read some posts and all that, but the mood is generally the same, with more people than not complaining about rates.

Becoming a member? Why?

After 35 years of work in this field I'm used to negotiate in person, with the client, each and every job without the help of agencies; receive a good faith deposit before the work starts, fifty percent on delivery of the draft, and the balance upon completion. All that at .10 per word minimum rate.

Translation is like any other business and the moment I have to lower my rates I'd look for something else to do or do it pro-bono.

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices/rates on profiles - who are they aimed at?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »