profile rank
Thread poster: biankonera

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:51
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

Out of pure curiosity I looked through the freelancer list today in my main language pair and it made me think: ok, Im not a paying member so I cant get into the first-page-list, fine, no problem with that, but why in the list of the alikes - non paying members - my profile is not higher ranked?
I have completed all required info, Im a verified user etc and STILL above me there are people who have empty profiles and things like that. How come they are higher ranked than me? I even have an agency (registered as a freelancer though) above me!!! Maybe Im not getting something?

OK, maybe Im overreacting but I definitely would appreciate some comments on this matter.:)

Thanks and keep smiling!

Stella

Direct link Reply with quote

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A question of Kudoz points Oct 25, 2006

You are ranked according to the Kudoz points you earn answering questions. And I saw in your profile you have 8 points Does that make sense now?

Best,

Cristina

Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
KudoZ Oct 25, 2006

Cristina,
those 8 KudoZ points I have in my second pair: English - Latvian, while according to KudoZ in my first pair (Italian - Latvian) we're all the same - 0 points for all (thats one of those language pairs where you can get no points here for the simple reason that there is nobody to award them to: tried once to ask a question but had to get the answer through another language pair due to no response).

Stella

[Edited at 2006-10-25 14:05]

[Edited at 2006-10-25 14:06]

CristinaPereira  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Stella Oct 25, 2006

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I can see now what you mean. The names aren't ordered alphabetically nor by years of Proz.com, either. I guess the system must have another way to order members in this case. But wait until someone more knowledgeable answers your question.

Best,

Cristina

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Don't find myself Oct 25, 2006

I looked in the profile list and I don't find myself at all. I have 27 KudoZ on German to Romanian and 138 general Kudoz.
Strange.
The list seems to be in order of KudoZ points, first paying members and then non-paying.
My profile is now also almost complete.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:51
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
You are listed Oct 25, 2006

Ruxi wrote:

I looked in the profile list and I don't find myself at all. I have 27 KudoZ on German to Romanian and 138 general Kudoz.
Strange.
The list seems to be in order of KudoZ points, first paying members and then non-paying.
My profile is now also almost complete.

Ruxi,
you are currently in the 7th position of the non paying users page for German-Romanian, as expected for your current 27 KudoZ points in that language pair.

The total number of KudoZ is not relevant for the listing in each language pair. It is the number of specific KudoZ point for that language pair that counts.

Gianfranco

Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
such is life Oct 25, 2006

gianfranco wrote:

The total number of KudoZ is not relevant for the listing in each language pair. It is the number of specific KudoZ point for that language pair that counts.

Gianfranco

And life's unfair I mean come on - and what to do if there is no chance to get those points due to the fact that there are no questions asked in that particular pair??? I cant: ask questions ->answer them myself -> award points to myself (and it would be weird if I could).

My suggestion would be - in favor of all those like me - that you guys think of some alternative for those like us who are stuck in the middle of nowhere just because we have no chance to get any KudoZ points in some particular language pair -> if we cant get any KudoZ points, maybe there can be some other way to evaluate the ranking? Why is there the need to complete the profile then and do all the other things???

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
It's not at all unfair Oct 25, 2006

bramasole wrote:

And life's unfair I mean come on - and what to do if there is no chance to get those points due to the fact that there are no questions asked in that particular pair??? I cant: ask questions ->answer them myself -> award points to myself (and it would be weird if I could).

I cannot see why this would be unfair: If you're the only one working a particular language combination, and thus being able to answer questions in this combination, you're the only one in that list anyway (and thus be shown as number one, even without any KudoZ points!).

The more participants in a language pair, the more chances to gather KudoZ, and the more colleagues to compete with. Few translators in a language pair means fewer KudoZ points, but also fewer translators to compete with.

Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish... Oct 25, 2006

...I was the only one. There are several other colleagues however I seem the only one "alive" in that bunch.

Anyway, maybe its not that depressive after all. I just wish I was a bit higher in that rank, thats all.:)

Stella

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:21
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
It must be pro kudoz points Oct 26, 2006

The listing is as per the kudoz points you have earned for answering pro level questions in your language pair. So if you have answers 2 non-pro questions and were awarded 8 points for these, you will still show up as 0 kudoz-point-earner, as you have not earned any pro-level kudoz point.

The listing criteria as I understand it is as follows:

1) Members are listed first according to the pro kudoz points earned by them.

2) If there is a tie among members on kudoz points, the seniority factor takes precedence, the member who has been a member of the site for a longer period is listed first.

3) Then come the users, who are also listed as per the pro kudoz points earned by them.

4) The same rule applies to them too in case of two users having the same number of kudoz points.

Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
French to English
Could it be BrowniZ? Oct 26, 2006

I tried to find how many BrowniZ you have but couldn't. Maybe you spent some of your BrowniZ bidding for jobs or something like that, whilst the empty profiles haven't even bothered coming back to use theirs!
This is just an idea, it would need a Mod to confirm whether that is indeed the system. If this is the case, then you just need to answer some of the surveys, be more active in agreeing/disagreeing with KudoZ, attend powwows or use any of the other means that exist for winning BrowniZ.

As for your profile, it is worth completing, even if you only do so to give potential employers important information.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:51
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Directory - sorting criteria Oct 26, 2006

I have found the official explanation, as provided by one of the programmer, about the directory sorting criteria.

The current default directory sorting is determined in this order:

- Pro KudoZ points in language pair and field
- Pro KudoZ points in language pair
- Whether the service provider marked this field as a "specialty"
- Years of experience
- Whether service provider has verified credentials
- Whether service provider has reported credentials
- Years at ProZ.com

However, other than KudoZ points (the main sorting criteria), the sorting criteria will likely change over time to improve the relevance of directory listings.

Please note the last sentense, as the explanation quoted dates from 18 months ago and some details may have changed in the meantime.

According to this version, if the KudoZ points are at the same level, the directory shows first the member having a higher KudoZ total score. BrowniZ are not mentioned.

All other criteria are probably applied only when there are no KudoZ.

Hope it is useful

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-10-26 19:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

profile rank

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs