Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Companies appearing in the freelancer directory - possible discrimination against freelancers?
Thread poster: Vesna Zivcic

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
German to Croatian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2007

Opening the freelance directory in my language pairs today, I have noticed a bunch of companies appearing at the top above the freelancers' list.

http://www.proz.com/directory/?mode=filter&from=eng&to=.cr&pair_emphasis=8&type=na&field=&native=na&country=hrion_list=na&city_list=na&cred=na&software=na&avail=na&expertise=working&location=&keyword=

"Looking for companies?

."

A bit surprised by this intrusion, I wanted to check whether this is counterbalanced in the Outsourcers' directory, but there is no list of freelancers appearing above the outsourcers list.

Just for the record, none of them is located in Croatia (a search criterium that I entered), nor do most of them work in my language pairs.

Whatever the reason for this move by Proz.com, I feel it to be discriminatory against freelancers and would like to see it amended (or counterbalanced).

BR,

Vesna

[Edited at 2007-02-19 07:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Already suggested to ProZ.com staff Feb 18, 2007

Hi Vesna,
I noticed the same, and have already suggested to ProZ.com staff that this should be changed.

Best regards,
Ralf

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I'm not amused Feb 18, 2007

I noticed the same in EN-DE, and I'm not amused at all. For me this another step that leads away from what Proz was when I joined. I do get a feeling that soon it will to far away for me to rejoin again when my membership runs out.

I do understand that Proz has to earn money, that is my main reason why I support it with my membership, but the way how the focus of the site drifts away from supporting translators to "how can we open more money streams" and the lack of proper communication over and over again does not make me happy.

IMO there is a tendency to make Proz broader and broader to get more "paying" members (currently aka companies), more income from Google adds for non-members and the like.

I do not have the feeling that a lot of work goes into making it "deeper" for the current users. (E.g some projects that would go into this direction have been completely lost, what happend e. g. to the often discussed KOG cleanup.)

Let's hope it remains "the" workplace for translators.

Siegfried

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
On the issue of (un)equal playing fields ....... Feb 18, 2007

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Let's hope it remains "the" workplace for translators.

Siegfried

One of new "logos under construction" has already shifted the emphasis to "the translation workplace", so your concerns may well be justified.

[Edited at 2007-02-18 18:24]

xxxZZZZZZ
German to English
Wavering Feb 18, 2007

I was wavering about joining here.

I think this sealed it for me.

I see more and more ads and money-grabbing features, which is fine, but maybe not fine for a company that is still using people (yes, "using" at this point, using the free contributions of people, from volunteering to Kudoz) to build the site up. I see many people joining every day (at a hundred or more per crack), so someone is starting to clean up here.

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I agree Feb 18, 2007

This is NOT fun...

The list of companies is exactly the same in my language pairs, making it extremely probable that they appear on top of EVERY listing...

How many KudoZ have these agencies earned to reach that position?

There are several ways to look for agencies on ProZ. If somebody is looking for FREELANCERS he or she will have good reasons to do so, and NOT to be distracted by a listing of agencies. In that case, why not sell the top space of EVERY page on ProZ to Google-ads???

Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
freelancer directory Feb 18, 2007

... and when I do a search in Directory -> Freelancers in my language pair (English - German), specifying criteria such as language pair, native language, country, city, field of expertise etc etc, all I get is companies and NO freelancers, be it paying members or registered users. How come? I also noticed the search function in the 'Directories' has not been working for some time, even before there were corporate members, and I have been trying from different PCs, too.

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:31
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Same here Feb 18, 2007

Its the same thing in my language combinations as well.
But the thing that bothers me more is that in my main language pair the two freelancers (if one searches without specification, just general language combination) above me are also companies (one registered as freelancer/company and one registered as freelancer but from the CV you can understand its also a company) which also makes things not too fair Id say since Im "only" a freelancer. Especially this annoys me because in both cases my main language pair is not a top pair for them (not that it causes me some big problems, I simply think its not fair).

Stella

[Edited at 2007-02-18 19:19]

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Same Feb 18, 2007

In EN-FR

Including the moderator's company it seems.

Patricia

Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Neither is it nice for clients Feb 18, 2007

So when a potential client choses to open a so-called freelancers directory, the first thing s/he encounters is a "Looking for companies?" message... Sorry but I find that contradictory, even a bit pushy... If I were the client, I would wonder if they are taking me by an idiot who doesn't even know what she is looking for in the first place or else they want to sell me something by diverting my attention from the freelancers... Not nice at all.

As for us freelancers... well, can anyone expect us to be happy about having our directory hickjacked? I for one am not a happy camper.

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Money talks..... Feb 18, 2007

Riens Middelhof wrote:

How many KudoZ have these agencies earned to reach that position?

Not a question of KudoZ, if I'm not mistaken they have all paid up for the new corporate membership.

[Edited at 2007-02-18 21:14]

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
In all fairness .... Feb 18, 2007

Patricia Lane wrote:

Including the moderator's company it seems.

Patricia

Moderator in question has stated he doesn't agree with the practice - see above.

[Edited at 2007-02-18 19:37]

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Indeed Feb 18, 2007

Apologies, Ralf.

----

Proz' management should decide on their business model, target clientele, and give us their clear mission and vision statement.

Mixed messages are never a good thing in marketing and business development.

Patricia

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Looking for a black market? Feb 18, 2007

So what's a freelancer? For 25 years, I thought I'd run a company. One of the keys to success being a freelance translator is to understand that you're running a company.

"Looking for a company?" implies that we're not a company. What are we, black marketeers? AmateurZ? That's offensive IMO. Also, I fail to understand why a prospect locking for business is being directed away from me. The directory was supposed to direct business to me?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Companies appearing in the freelancer directory - possible discrimination against freelancers?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs