Mobile menu

Help, my website is blank when I upload the re-designed pages
Thread poster: Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

Hi colleagues,
About half years ago, I registered a domain name in Proz, the address is www.dtptranslate.com, and I design the pages myself after I can access to the server, all of them seems OK before last Sunday. I re-design the pages last Sunday and upload them to the server, but I can see nothing when I type the address in IE or Safari. However, the pages are OK in my computer. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.
I also have submitted a ticket on Sunday, but the problem is still not being solved. Do you have encountered this problem? Could anybody know how to solve it?
Thanks in advance!

I also want to know how many days your problems be sovled after you submit a ticket in Proz.

Best regards,
Han Li


[Edited at 2008-09-17 14:23]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Copy files into Public.html file Sep 17, 2008

Did you upload the new files into the "public_html" folder? Click on the public_html folder and then upload the new files.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:10
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
www Sep 17, 2008

In my case, it's the 'www' folder that's public.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:10
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Broken HTML code Sep 17, 2008

Han Li wrote:

Hi colleagues,
About half years ago, I registered a domain name in Proz, the address is www.dtptranslate.com, and I design the pages myself after I can access to the server, all of them seems OK before last Sunday. I re-design the pages last Sunday and upload them to the server, but I can see nothing when I type the address in IE or Safari. However, the pages are OK in my computer. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.
I also have submitted a ticket on Sunday, but the problem is still not being solved. Do you have encountered this problem? Could anybody know how to solve it?
Thanks in advance!

I also want to know how many days your problems be sovled after you submit a ticket in Proz.

Best regards,
Han Li


[Edited at 2008-09-17 14:23]

Hi Han,

Basically the source code of your page is broken. You used MS Word or Frontpage to write your page. Not a very good idea. These tools insert MS specific stuff which isn't understood by every browser. Many people use MSIE, true, but quite a lot of people use other browsers.

I can see the opening tag of the style element, but I can't see the closing one. That is why style related text can be seen in the contents of your page in addition to Chinese text.

If you must use a Wysiwyg program to author your page, I'd suggest using OpenOffice.org Writer. It will do a much better job of producing correct HTML code.

Hope this helps,

Piotr


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 18, 2008

Thanks you Jeff!
I do upload the files into the folder, but it's not work.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Did you upload the new files into the "public_html" folder? Click on the public_html folder and then upload the new files.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 18, 2008

Thank you for your good advice, Piotr!
Yes, I use Microsoft Web Expression to write my page, it's an upgrade edition of Frontpage.
In fact, the first version was also writed with Web Expression and it's OK after I uploaded them to the server.
I will rewrite my page with DreamWare. I will also try to use OpenOffice Writer.
Thanks again……

Regards,
Han Li

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
Hi Han,

Basically the source code of your page is broken. You used MS Word or Frontpage to write your page. Not a very good idea. These tools insert MS specific stuff which isn't understood by every browser. Many people use MSIE, true, but quite a lot of people use other browsers.

I can see the opening tag of the style element, but I can't see the closing one. That is why style related text can be seen in the contents of your page in addition to Chinese text.

If you must use a Wysiwyg program to author your page, I'd suggest using OpenOffice.org Writer. It will do a much better job of producing correct HTML code.

Hope this helps,

Piotr


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Sep 19, 2008

Now my website is OK. I rewrite it with DreamWeaver CS3 and upload the pages again.
But the pages seem fine in IE, not in Safari; the layout is a little changed in Safari.
I am not sure whether or not it will display correctly in other OS and/or Explorer. Could anyone tell me where I can test the site?
Thanks!

Regards,
Han Li
www.dtptranslate.com

[Edited at 2008-09-19 13:44]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help, my website is blank when I upload the re-designed pages

Advanced search






Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs