Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 12, 2011

Hi all,

This is a very basic question and I apologize if this post is a repeat of other threads. I haven't been able to find the answer in the forums or in the hosting FAQ and Getting Started Guide.

I registered my domain names a few days ago, and I would like to start working on the content of my site, but I can't figure out how to access the control panel for the domain that I registered. I previously started working on a site using the free subdomain of ProZ, and I
... See more
Hi all,

This is a very basic question and I apologize if this post is a repeat of other threads. I haven't been able to find the answer in the forums or in the hosting FAQ and Getting Started Guide.

I registered my domain names a few days ago, and I would like to start working on the content of my site, but I can't figure out how to access the control panel for the domain that I registered. I previously started working on a site using the free subdomain of ProZ, and I still have access to that control panel. I read in the Start Up Guide to go to www.mydomain.com/cpanel to access my control panel, but when I do this the site isn't found and so instead a Google search comes up (and I am changing "mydomain" to my actual domain name).

Can anyone explain how to access my control panel and/or point me in the direction of information that would clarify how to do this?

Thank you for your help.
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
You need a hosting service as well May 12, 2011

Not too sure about your situation but a domain name needs to be hosted (different from registered) by a service provider before you can have a website.

Ashley Wans wrote:

Hi all,

I registered my domain names a few days ago, and I would like to start working on the content of my site, but I can't figure out how to access the control panel for the domain that I registered. I previously started working on a site using the free subdomain of ProZ, and I still have access to that control panel. I read in the Start Up Guide to go to www.mydomain.com/cpanel to access my control panel, but when I do this the site isn't found and so instead a Google search comes up (and I am changing "mydomain" to my actual domain name).

Can anyone explain how to access my control panel and/or point me in the direction of information that would clarify how to do this?

Thank you for your help.

[Edited at 2011-05-12 02:50 GMT]

Ashley Wans
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think ProZ is my host. May 12, 2011

Antipodean wrote:

Not too sure about your situation but a domain name needs to be hosted (different from registered) by a service provider before you can have a website.

Ashley Wans wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you for your help.

I believe I should have free ProZ hosting as a paid member. However, I am not sure exactly how to verify if that is the case.

Ashley Wans
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Think I figured it out. May 12, 2011

Because I started working on the free subdomain of ProZ, and I do not have the upgraded hosting option, I think I need to have the free site deleted because ProZ only hosts one domain at a time if you don't have the upgraded option. I am going to put in a support request to have the free domain deleted.

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Name server address May 12, 2011

Check if you have entered name server addresses for your domain correctly. In any case, your hosting service provider should help you.

Ashley Wans wrote:

Antipodean wrote:

Ashley Wans wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you for your help.

I believe I should have free ProZ hosting as a paid member. However, I am not sure exactly how to verify if that is the case.

Moreechika
Moreechika
Bangladesh
English to Bengali
+ ...
How did you solve your problem ? Jun 19, 2011

So how did you solve your problem ? I have exactly the same problem.
How did you get rid of the free subdomain of ProZ and start working with your own domain ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confused about how to work with my domain name

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »