domain registration - how long should I wait?
Thread poster: Adam Podstawczynski

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2004

Hi,

I registered a .com domain via Proz.com. I received the following confirmation:

"Registration for podstawczynski.com has been completed and should show up in tomorrow's WHOIS database update."

This was 2 days ago. As I understand, Proz.com takes care of pointing the new domain to my hosting account on Proz.com. However, how long should I wait? What is the usual domain registration time? It's been a few days now, and the domain still looks as if it was not registered.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:57
SITE STAFF
Domain registered; you already had a different hosted domain Sep 27, 2004

Hi Adam,

Your domain was registered successfully.

The reason that your domain didn't automatically point to your hosting account was that you already had a different domain for your hosting account: podstawek.my.proz.com. The standard hosting package allows you to host only one domain.

I have changed the domain associated with your hosting account to podstawczynski.com. Everything should work as you expect it to now.

In the future, to change the domain associated with your hosting account, please submit a support request.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Sep 27, 2004

Thanks a lot, it's working! I'm yet another happy snob (YAHS, not to be confused with JAPH or YaST ) with own name as a domain.

Maybe it would be worth adding your answer to the Hosting HOWTO? I knew about the one-domain-per-account rule, but somehow I thought this referred to the free domain I got when setting up the account, not the one I've bought.

Anyway, thanks again.

Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more question: mail problem Sep 27, 2004

Hi again,

now that the domain is working, I've set up an e-mail account via CPanel. I can send e-mail to this account, and I can read it via the Web interface (e.g. NeoMail).

However, when I try to download mail via POP3, I get this error message:

Sorry, cannot find owner for that domain (podstawczynski.com).

Could you help me with this, too?

Regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

domain registration - how long should I wait?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs