Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Announcing platinum hosting release candidate
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 04:31
SITE STAFF
Nov 6, 2004

After six months of beta testing, ProZ.com's new platinum web hosting service is nearly ready for release. Thanks are due to the over 100 platinum members who have volunteered their time to beta test the new hosting system. Thank you for your efforts!

At this time, all known bugs in the new hosting system have been resolved. Hardware upgrades have been completed and redundancy has been implemented. The final, public release of the new serv
... See more
After six months of beta testing, ProZ.com's new platinum web hosting service is nearly ready for release. Thanks are due to the over 100 platinum members who have volunteered their time to beta test the new hosting system. Thank you for your efforts!

At this time, all known bugs in the new hosting system have been resolved. Hardware upgrades have been completed and redundancy has been implemented. The final, public release of the new service is scheduled for early December.

ProZ.com would now like to invite all platinum members to try out the new web hosting service before it is released into production. The purpose of this release candidate is to tease out any final problems with the system before it is released.

Compared to the legacy platinum hosting system, the new hosting service includes robust hardware upgrades, an industry leading control panel (cPanel), greatly improved email service, and a feature set comparable to other advanced hosting offerings. The standard hosting package is available for free to all platinum members in good standing. See the hosting info page for links to sign up or to learn more.

Users of the existing legacy platinum hosting service are also encouraged to migrate. Although the new hosting system is still being tested, at this point it appears to be more stable and to provide better service than the legacy hosting system. To learn more about migrating from the legacy hosting system, see this forum topic.

Please be aware that the new hosting system is still undergoing testing. There is a chance of interruptions in service or unexpected data loss while testing is being conducted.

As always, your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The system is working just very fine Nov 6, 2004

Do I need to change anything on my setting or will am I allready using the RC?
The email funcionality seems to have improved, as recently I was able to send an email with more than 10 MB via my account.
The ftp funcionality has worked stable since the beginning, but now I have the impression, that the connection hs become faster...

Thanks Jason for your great work.
Much appreciated here

Regards
Jerzy

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
No change to existing beta hosting accounts is necessary Nov 6, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Do I need to change anything on my setting or will am I allready using the RC?

Hi Jerzy,

Existing beta hosting accounts are already using the release candidate. No changes to your account are required. Thanks for the kind words and for your help with testing.

Best regards,

Jason

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Email configuration after migration Nov 7, 2004

Hi, Jason

I've just migrated.
Do I have to make changes in the settings of my email account to receive the incoming emails?
Also, I noticed that it offers 5 emails accounts? Where can I find information about them?

Regards,

Clarisa

Note: It's very important for me to know it because this is my main email address.

[Edited at 2004-11-07 02:14]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-11-07 06:50]

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
See the hosting mail howto Nov 7, 2004

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
I've just migrated.
Do I have to make changes in the settings of my email account to receive the incoming emails?
Also, I noticed that it offers 5 emails accounts? Where can I find information about them?

Hi Clarisa,

Your account has been migrated. You will need to update the settings in your mail program to access your mail on the new hosting system. I have just posted a hosting mail howto document that should help you configure your email. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I need some clarification Nov 7, 2004

Hi Jason,

What I have to do in my personal case, since cheddar ist old and ... How do I migrate to a newer system. Currently I am still loggin on to the Cpanel to execute any admin. tasks. Rgds,
Brandis

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How fast is your server/RC? Nov 7, 2004

Hi Jason

I just tried to download a bigger file (approx. 11 MB) via ftp from my account, but the average speed I got (using Internet Explorer as download client) was not very good. I reached only approx 1100 kbit/s (means half of my bandwith, so it is not my Internet connection). Is this OK or did you intend to allow higher download speeds, which would be very welcome from anybody I think.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Uploading works at approx. 190 kbit/s (
... See more
Hi Jason

I just tried to download a bigger file (approx. 11 MB) via ftp from my account, but the average speed I got (using Internet Explorer as download client) was not very good. I reached only approx 1100 kbit/s (means half of my bandwith, so it is not my Internet connection). Is this OK or did you intend to allow higher download speeds, which would be very welcome from anybody I think.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Uploading works at approx. 190 kbit/s (24 kB/s) using PSFtp, which is half of my upstream bandwith too...
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
configuration of the outcoming email server Nov 7, 2004

Thanks, Jason.

I still have another problem (and I have read all the links stated by you). I think I'm doing something wrong.

According to the instructions, the POP3 and STMP configurations should be as follows:

POP3: mail.mydomain.com
SMTP: mail.mydomain.com

I have Outlook express and Incredible Mail, and that configuration doesn't work. I mean, I'm not able to send emails form that configuration. Thus, I had to change the confi
... See more
Thanks, Jason.

I still have another problem (and I have read all the links stated by you). I think I'm doing something wrong.

According to the instructions, the POP3 and STMP configurations should be as follows:

SMTP: mail.mydomain.com

I have Outlook express and Incredible Mail, and that configuration doesn't work. I mean, I'm not able to send emails form that configuration. Thus, I had to change the configuration to the following one:

SMTP: SMTP.MYINTERNETPROVIDER.com.ar

I've read that I have to check the server autentication. Perhaps that is the problem. Where can I find the instructions regarding the server autentication?

Thanks,

Clarisa
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
uncheck "my server requires an authentification" Nov 7, 2004

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I've read that I have to check the server autentication. Perhaps that is the problem. Where can I find the instructions regarding the server autentication?

Thanks,

Clarisa

I had the same problem for sending mails. After I unchecked "my server requires an authentification", it works well.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The correct settings for Outlook (at least...) are Nov 7, 2004

Mail incomming server (POP3): mail.mydomain.nn
Mail outcoming server (SMTP): mail.mydomain.nn

Username: mailbox+mydomain.nn
Password: password you set for this mailbox

Check the box for "Save password".

Click on "Advanced" and on the "Outcomming server" check the box "My server (SMTP) requires authentification" and then choose "Use the same settings as the post incomming server" (which is by default checked in Outlook).

This works v
... See more

Click on "Advanced" and on the "Outcomming server" check the box "My server (SMTP) requires authentification" and then choose "Use the same settings as the post incomming server" (which is by default checked in Outlook).

This works very fine with my Outlook XP, so it should work with Outlook Express as well.

-----------

Dear Jason,

trying to access webmail via Horde, I get the following error message: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _() in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/config/registry.php on line 86
However, with the previous configuration (in August 04) I could access my mailbox via Horde. What happened?

Regards

Jerzy
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
anonymous ftp ? Nov 7, 2004

Jason,

Thank you very much for your amazing work !

I tried to connect my anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.domainname.com, but it works neither with cuteFTP, nor with IE ?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you enabled anonymous ftp in your settings? Nov 7, 2004

Anonymous ftp MUST be enabled in your settings (via cPanel, ftp manager), before anybody (including yourself) will be able to connect to it.

Simply open cPanel X for your account, click on FTP Manager, and then at "Setup anonymous ftp accounts" and check both "Allow anonymous acces to ..." and "Allow anonymous uploads to..." - then it will work.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
With IE you have first to enter the addres, then, after IE has opened it, you need t
... See more
Anonymous ftp MUST be enabled in your settings (via cPanel, ftp manager), before anybody (including yourself) will be able to connect to it.

Simply open cPanel X for your account, click on FTP Manager, and then at "Setup anonymous ftp accounts" and check both "Allow anonymous acces to ..." and "Allow anonymous uploads to..." - then it will work.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
With IE you have first to enter the addres, then, after IE has opened it, you need to login via File-menu (at least so it works with mine).

[Edited at 2004-11-07 16:26]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification for Brandis Nov 7, 2004

Brandis wrote:
What I have to do in my personal case, since cheddar ist old and ... How do I migrate to a newer system. Currently I am still loggin on to the Cpanel to execute any admin. tasks. Rgds,
Brandis

Hi Brandis,

If you are accessing your control panel by clicking the link on your hosting info page, then you are accessing the right hosting server. If you are using the host name "cheddar.host.proz.com" anywhere in your configuration, change that to your own domain name. Otherwise, no changes are necessary to your hosting account.

I hope this helps.

Jason

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Jerzy for your help :) Nov 7, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

I did enable Anonymous ftp in my settings as you indicated, but it does not work

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This works very fine with my Outlook XP, so it should work with Outlook Express as well.

Jerzy

I did the same configuration in Outlook Express, for others , it is OK, but it does not work with Proz mail addresses

[Edited at 2004-11-07 16:36]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure, you are using the right settings? Nov 7, 2004

For the mailbox: you have to set a mailbox with cPanel, define the password for it, and then use both the mailbox+yourdomain.com and the password for login in Outlook.

For the ftp:
use "[email protected]" as login with "anonymous" as password. This works. I assumed it was clear - this is the usuall way to login on "anonymous" ftp-sites.

All the information you can find in cPanel, if using it carefully and reading the given information.

Regards<
... See more
For the mailbox: you have to set a mailbox with cPanel, define the password for it, and then use both the mailbox+yourdomain.com and the password for login in Outlook.

For the ftp:
use "[email protected]" as login with "anonymous" as password. This works. I assumed it was clear - this is the usuall way to login on "anonymous" ftp-sites.

All the information you can find in cPanel, if using it carefully and reading the given information.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing platinum hosting release candidate

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »