Login via SSH?
Thread poster: Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2004

Would it be possible to enable SSH login to a hosting account? For those who know how to use a shell, it would make many things (e.g. file management) easier to do than over the pretty, but sometimes cumbersome CPanel. There are also things you simply can't do over CPanel, but which are possible with standard Linux utilities, like grepping through files and logs, zipping large files for faster download, setting up SMS notifications, etc.

saratone
saratone
German to Italian
+ ...
In which environment do you work? Nov 8, 2004

Which operating system do you use (Linux, Windows, Mac...)? And what do you want to know exactly?

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't matter Nov 8, 2004

saratone wrote:

Which operating system do you use (Linux, Windows, Mac...)? And what do you want to know exactly?

Hi Saratone,

it doesn't matter what local operating system I have. It's the hosting service remote operating system that counts. Since it's Linux, there are many useful things you can do if you know shell basics, and if you can log onto the shell (which you currently cannot do, as far as I've tried to).

Unless you know how to login via SSH. If so: my system is Windows XP, and I have putty installed to connect to the remote system.

[Edited at 2004-11-08 16:24]

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 23:14
SITE STAFF
Shell access is not available Nov 8, 2004

Hi Adam,

For security reasons, shell access is not provided for hosting accounts. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Login via SSH?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »