Mobile menu

Is this possible? (Use Proz as backup MX record)
Thread poster: Kurt Hammond

Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
Japanese to English
Nov 25, 2004

I currently host my own mail and web services. However, sometimes my site is down and when that happens email to my site queues as the server specified in the DNS MX (mail exchanger) record is not available.
Does anyone know of any way I could take advantage of ProZ hosting to set as my backup MX?

I currently own and my name servers are hosted at, which dynamically adjusts records according to whatever IP address my network connection has. It's also possible to manually enter any number or type of records, including MX. I guess the question then is: is it possible to have accept mails if the primary mail server (mine) is not reachable. Sure, they won't reach me automatically when my site comes online but presumably I would be able to go to the servers and pickup those messages.

Maybe an odd question, but curious anyway.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Grimes
Local time: 10:31
Secondary MX possible, but probably not what you want Nov 29, 2004

Hi Kurt, hosting does not provide secondary MX services at this time. I could manually set up a secondary mail server for you, but it would only spool mail for you while your primary MX server was down--you would not be able to check your mail until it had been delivered to your primary mail server. Since the sending mail servers also spool mail for you until your primary mail server becomes available, I don't think this would improve service for you in any way.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this possible? (Use Proz as backup MX record)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs