https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/27477-announcing_prozcom_hosting_production_release.html

Announcing ProZ.com hosting production release!
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 09:03
SITE STAFF
Dec 10, 2004

At this time we are pleased to announce the release of ProZ.com's new web hosting service for platinum members.

The new hosting service includes an industry leading control panel (cPanel), web hosting for your own domain name, email service (including webmail), your own FTP server, and a feature set comparable to other advanced hosting offerings. The standard hosting package is available for free to all full platinum membe
... See more
At this time we are pleased to announce the release of ProZ.com's new web hosting service for platinum members.

The new hosting service includes an industry leading control panel (cPanel), web hosting for your own domain name, email service (including webmail), your own FTP server, and a feature set comparable to other advanced hosting offerings. The standard hosting package is available for free to all full platinum members (although domain registration fees may apply). An advanced hosting upgrade is also available providing additional features for a small fee. See the hosting info page, the hosting FAQ, or the getting started guide to learn more.

All legacy hosting customers are now encouraged to migrate to the new hosting system. See this forum topic for information about migrating your web site from the legacy hosting system.

I would like to once again thank the many beta testers who volunteered their time to test the new hosting system over the past several months. Your helpful suggestions and feedback has been greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Domain Transfer Dec 11, 2004

Is there any information on domain name transfers? I couldn't find any. I already have a domain name and am wondering (a) what I'd have to do to transfer it to ProZ hosting and (b) whether there is a fee for the transfer.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Domain transfers are possible for most TLDs; requires a one-year renewal Dec 11, 2004

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:
I already have a domain name and am wondering (a) what I'd have to do to transfer it to ProZ hosting

Hi Norbert,

Domain name transfers are possible for .com, .net, .org, .info, and .biz domains. During the sign-up process, you will be asked whether you want to register a new domain or transfer a domain name you already own. (You will also have the option of keeping your domain at your existing registrar, or using a subdomain of my.proz.com.)

.uk domain transfers are somewhat involved and are not supported at this time.

and (b) whether there is a fee for the transfer.

When you transfer a domain from a different registrar, the domain will be renewed for one year. The current fee for a one-year renewal for all supported domains is €/$10.

I have just clarified these issues in "registering or transferring a domain name" section of the domain name howto: http://www.proz.com/howto/229

Best regards,

Jason

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Is there any way to use Proz.com hosting without becoming platinum member? Dec 19, 2004

Of course it cannot be free of cost. But there may be some rates worked out for that. In that case it might include domain registration as well. As a non-platinum member, I am interested in knowing it.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Hosting available only to platinum members Dec 19, 2004

Hi Narasimhan,

Thanks for your question, I have updated the FAQ to address it. Hosting is available only to full platinum members at this time.

Best regards,

Jason

http://www.proz.com/faq/hosting#hosting_plat

Who can take advantage of ProZ.com hosting?

Hosting service is provided only to full platinum members; it is not for sale to non-platinum members. The main focus of all web sites hosted by ProZ.com must be language-related. ProZ.com is not attempting to run a profitable hosting business in the low-margin web hosting industry. ProZ.com has identified that having a professional web site, reliable email service, an FTP server, and other hosting features are an important component of a successful language business, and we have found that many of our members are underserved in this area. ProZ.com hosting is intended to serve that need for our platinum members.

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
Local time: 15:03
English to Italian
nice package! Dec 20, 2004

2 MySQL databases, Perl and PHP, wow, that's nice!

Are there any bandwidth limits? I don't see anything about it in the main page or FAQ.

Thanks,
Monica

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
Local time: 15:03
English to Italian
another question Dec 20, 2004

If I sign up now for a subdomain, can I later transfer and/or register a new domain?

I was just wondering if that chocie at sign-up can be done later too.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Bandwidth limits: 1000MB standard, 2000MB advanced Dec 20, 2004

Traweb wrote:
Are there any bandwidth limits? I don't see anything about it in the main page or FAQ.

Hi Monica,

The current bandwidth limits are 1000MB/month for the standard package, and 2000MB/month for the advanced package. These may increase over time if the current limits prove to be insufficient. Please see this forum thread for a past discussion of bandwidth limits: http://www.proz.com/topic/26058

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Standard package allows only 1 domain, but it can be changed Dec 20, 2004

Traweb wrote:
If I sign up now for a subdomain, can I later transfer and/or register a new domain?

Hi Monica,

The standard hosting package allows you to use only one domain, but if you sign up for a subdomain it can later be changed to your own domain name. The advanced package allows you to have 5 different domains pointing to the same site, so you could keep your subdomain and add additional domains.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing ProZ.com hosting production release!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »