Alan Boydell
Alan Boydell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:38
French to English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2004

Hi there all,

Is Proz the actual hosting provider, or are they simply offering these services that are in fact performed by a different hosting provider?

If that is the case, I would quite like to know who that provider might be to go and check their statistics on a comparative performance website such as netcraft.

Thanks for the info,

Alan

[Edited at 2004-12-17 15:11]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-18 22:20]

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 18:38
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com is the actual hosting provider Dec 17, 2004

Alan Boydell wrote:
Is Proz the actual hosting provider, or are they simply offering these services that are in fact performed by a different hosting provider?

Hi Alan,

That is a very good question, you seem to be an informed consumer. ProZ.com hosting is provided directly by ProZ.com, utilizing our own infrastructure and systems expertise. We are not reselling the services of another cheap hosting provider, and we have not cut any corners on our hosting service.

For example, the domain registrar we have chosen to use is Tucows/OpenSRS, who is widely regarded as the best registrar in the business. Using OpenSRS costs more, and we consequently don't make a profit on domain registrations, but it allows us to offer highly reliable domain services and to give our members complete control over their own domains through a domain control panel at ProZ.com.

We have made similar decisions regarding hardware provisioning and the choice of hosting control panel (cPanel, also the most popular in the hosting industry).

We are able to do this because we are not attempting to run a profitable hosting business in that low-margin industry. ProZ.com has identified that having a professional web site, reliable email service, an FTP server, and other hosting features are an important component of a successful language business, and we have found that many of our members are underserved in this area. ProZ.com hosting is intended to serve that need for our platinum members.

Best regards,

Jason

Alan Boydell
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happy days Dec 17, 2004

Hi there Jason,

Thanks a lot for your speedy and informative reply. I hope my question didn't sound too distrusting or anything. It's just that I'm so impressed with the Proz offering that I'm seriously considering transfering everything I have in the world over to you guys, and so I'd like to know this wouldn't be down half of the time. I'm particularly impressed with the PHP / MySQL possibilities as I'm looking into making a dictio
... See more
Hi there Jason,

Thanks a lot for your speedy and informative reply. I hope my question didn't sound too distrusting or anything. It's just that I'm so impressed with the Proz offering that I'm seriously considering transfering everything I have in the world over to you guys, and so I'd like to know this wouldn't be down half of the time. I'm particularly impressed with the PHP / MySQL possibilities as I'm looking into making a dictionary of mine availaible on the WWW.

Another little question: would it be possible to transfer in a .fr domain name? That would really be my dreams come true!

Thanks for everything you do to keep Proz up all the time, by the way. Keep up the good work!

Alan
Collapse

Alan Boydell
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more thing Dec 17, 2004

Just another question that has just popped into my mind:
what is the bandwidth limit on the basic package?
What would the surcharge be for exceeding it, in the highly unlikely event of my site becoming so popular that I would go over the top?

Cheers.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
.fr domains can be hosted, but you must use a different domain registrar Dec 17, 2004

Alan Boydell wrote:
Another little question: would it be possible to transfer in a .fr domain name? That would really be my dreams come true!

Hi Alan,

It is possible to host .fr domains with ProZ.com hosting, but you must use your existing domain registrar for the domain service. You would just need to change the nameservers for your domain to point to ProZ.com hosting. For more information, see the following documents.

Getting started guide: http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/getting_started
Domain name howto: http://www.proz.com/howto/229

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Standard package bandwidth limit is 1000MB/mo Dec 17, 2004

Alan Boydell wrote:
Just another question that has just popped into my mind:
what is the bandwidth limit on the basic package?
What would the surcharge be for exceeding it, in the highly unlikely event of my site becoming so popular that I would go over the top?
Cheers.

Hi Alan,

The standard hosting package has a 1000MB/month bandwidth limit. If you consistently exceeded this limit we would ask you to upgrade to the advanced hosting package, which currently has a 2000MB limit (which may be increased in the future). Please see this forum topic for a past discussion of bandwidth limits: http://www.proz.com/topic/26058

Best regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosting provider for ProZ.com hosting?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »