Tobias Ernst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:44
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 21, 2004

Hi!

I am currently evaluating hosting providers, and ProZ hosting might be a reason for me to switch to full platinum membership (currently I am on jobs platinum only).

However, I would like to be able to access my e-mail and to upload my files in a secure way. A lot of providers offer IMAP/TLS for e-mail access and SFTP for uploading webpages. How about ProZ?

To clarify, I don't need SSL for my website in the sense that the website is accessible by SSL to
... See more
Hi!

I am currently evaluating hosting providers, and ProZ hosting might be a reason for me to switch to full platinum membership (currently I am on jobs platinum only).

However, I would like to be able to access my e-mail and to upload my files in a secure way. A lot of providers offer IMAP/TLS for e-mail access and SFTP for uploading webpages. How about ProZ?

To clarify, I don't need SSL for my website in the sense that the website is accessible by SSL to my clients (I understand that for this I would need a SSL certificate and that this is currently not supported). I only want to use SSL or any other encryption feature to fetch my e-mail and to upload my files.

Regards
Tobias
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 16:44
SITE STAFF
TLS available but untested Dec 21, 2004

Hi Tobias,

SSL encrypted IMAP and FTP connections are available, but almost completely untested. In response to your question I ran some brief tests. I was able to connect to IMAP over SSL with no problems. SFTP (in the sense of FTP over SSH) is not supported, but I was able to access the hosting FTP server using the AUTH TLS method (also known as explicit TLS) in CuteFTP. However, NAT routers and firewalls seem to cause problems with this method, so it might be troublesome for some
... See more
Hi Tobias,

SSL encrypted IMAP and FTP connections are available, but almost completely untested. In response to your question I ran some brief tests. I was able to connect to IMAP over SSL with no problems. SFTP (in the sense of FTP over SSH) is not supported, but I was able to access the hosting FTP server using the AUTH TLS method (also known as explicit TLS) in CuteFTP. However, NAT routers and firewalls seem to cause problems with this method, so it might be troublesome for some users.

I will add these features to my list of hosting system improvements to work on in the future; for the time being, it may work but I can't guarantee it.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Tobias Ernst
Tobias Ernst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:44
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks / how to proceed with upgrading to full membership Dec 21, 2004

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

> SSL encrypted IMAP and FTP connections are available, but almost > completely untested.

Well, sounds good enough to me. IMAP over SSL is my primary concern (there are different passwords for e-mail and ftp, aren't there!?), and I'll somehow be able to get the FTP thingy to work as well.

As long as "not guaranteed" only means "might display some bugs" (and not: "might be canceled at any time), I could live with tha
... See more
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

> SSL encrypted IMAP and FTP connections are available, but almost > completely untested.

Well, sounds good enough to me. IMAP over SSL is my primary concern (there are different passwords for e-mail and ftp, aren't there!?), and I'll somehow be able to get the FTP thingy to work as well.

As long as "not guaranteed" only means "might display some bugs" (and not: "might be canceled at any time), I could live with that.

So - my "jobs" platinum membership lasts til mid Feburary, after which I was planning to upgrade to "full". Is there a way for me to start using the hosting service now without losing one and a half month's worth of "jobs" platinum through early upgrading?

Regards,
Tobias

[Edited at 2004-12-21 17:38]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 16:44
SITE STAFF
Partial -> full platinum upgrade applies immediately Dec 21, 2004

Hi Tobias,

Tobias Ernst wrote:
(there are different passwords for e-mail and ftp, aren't there!?)

Your main email account and main ftp account have the same login and password; however, you can create up to 5 email accounts with different passwords (using the standard hosting package).

As long as "not guaranteed" only means "might display some bugs" (and not: "might be canceled at any time), I could live with that.

I certainly won't turn it off, but I can't commit to supporting it until the bugs get worked out.

So - my "jobs" platinum membership lasts til mid Feburary, after which I was planning to upgrade to "full". Is there a way for me to start using the hosting service now without losing one and a half month's worth of "jobs" platinum through early upgrading?

You can upgrade at any time and the full membership starts immediately. After you do so, submit a support request and we will add half the remaining time on your partial platinum membership to your full platinum membership.

Thanks for your support of the site.

Best regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IMAP/TLS, SFTP?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »