Hosted site email now getting hundreds of returned mail notifications.
Thread poster: Ralph Dunsdon
Ralph Dunsdon
Ralph Dunsdon
Local time: 01:19
Chinese to English
Oct 22, 2006

My web site has been hosted for just over a year. Someone else built the site and brought it on line, and I am pretty much a novice. Recently I started getting many, sometimes up to 50, email non-delivery notifications per day. Has someone hijacked my domain for spam, and if so how do I put an end to it?

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:19
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Remove your e-mail address from your website Oct 22, 2006

Hello Ralph,
Had the same problem some time ago. You are an easy target for spammers looking for addresses to spoof, because your email address is published on your website - and websites are spidered by various robots designed specifically to collect addresses.

My advice is as follows: remove your e-mail address immediately. Ask your website designer either to use a form for contacting you (however not every form is a barrier for robots, you may like to get more info on that
... See more
Hello Ralph,
Had the same problem some time ago. You are an easy target for spammers looking for addresses to spoof, because your email address is published on your website - and websites are spidered by various robots designed specifically to collect addresses.

My advice is as follows: remove your e-mail address immediately. Ask your website designer either to use a form for contacting you (however not every form is a barrier for robots, you may like to get more info on that one) or at least give your e-mail in some protected form, that is readable for human, but not for a machine (good method is e.g. myname-remove- this- part- at mydomain dot com).

I'm afraid once your address is in the hands of spammers, you will probably always receive certain amount of unwanted mail and they will continue to use your name as a sender, but this should at least reduce it.

Also, consider changing your address and publishing a new one already in a secure form.

HTH,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-10-22 23:33]
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
What is spoofing? Oct 23, 2006

Spoofing occurs when an e-mail sender hijacks an unsuspecting victim's address by falsifying its routing information so it appears to come from the victim's account. When the message reaches its intended target, all reply messages go to the victim's address, not the actual sender.

For spammers, using phony e-mail addresses means they can remain anonymous, avoid handling countless bounce-back messages from invalid addresses, and simultaneously bypass software filters set to block lik
... See more
Spoofing occurs when an e-mail sender hijacks an unsuspecting victim's address by falsifying its routing information so it appears to come from the victim's account. When the message reaches its intended target, all reply messages go to the victim's address, not the actual sender.

For spammers, using phony e-mail addresses means they can remain anonymous, avoid handling countless bounce-back messages from invalid addresses, and simultaneously bypass software filters set to block likely sources of junk e-mail. Plus, as spam and other types of junk-e-mail tactics become increasingly unpopular with consumers, spoofing allows spammers to avoid negative publicity.

For the victim, however, spoofing is nothing short of a nightmare. Typically, spoofing victims drown in a flood of bounced-back e-mails from bad addresses. Shortly thereafter, an inevitable wave of angry e-mails pour in from spam recipients asking to be removed from the spammer's marketing list.

In some cases, victims lose account privileges, after their Internet Service Provider (ISP) shuts down their service for violating its anti-spam policy.

=> What to do if you think you have received a spoofed e-mail or your e-mail address is being spoofed

Do not respond to a spoofed e-mail to complain because, it will only arrive in your own e-mail Inbox.

Send a copy of the spoofed e-mail to the spoofed e-mail sender's ISP. The e-mail address for this is usually [email protected] or [email protected] but if you are not sure, visit their ISP's Web site and search for the information - it will be there.

Include full e-mail headers when you file a spoofing report. Find out how to read e-mail headers here.

In the US

The Federal Trade Commission accepts copies of unwanted or deceptive messages at: [email protected]. If an unsubscribe request is not being honored (ignored or inoperative) you can fill out the FTC's online complaint form. The FTC stores spam complaints in a database and actively pursue law enforcement actions against people who send spam.

sylvie
Collapse

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
English to German
+ ...
Thank you...but something's missing! Oct 23, 2006

Thank you for the information, Sylvie!

I'm afraid the same thing has happened to me. Now I would like to contact the sender's ISP and send along the headers of the eMails I've rceived - but you left out the link to 'Find out how to read headers' - I think

Quote: "Include full e-mail headers when you file a spoofing report. Find out how to read e-mail headers here. "

Where?

Many
... See more
Thank you for the information, Sylvie!

I'm afraid the same thing has happened to me. Now I would like to contact the sender's ISP and send along the headers of the eMails I've rceived - but you left out the link to 'Find out how to read headers' - I think

Quote: "Include full e-mail headers when you file a spoofing report. Find out how to read e-mail headers here. "

Where?

Many thanks in advance for your help & best regards from 'das Ruhrgebiet'!

~Christina
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
whoops! Oct 23, 2006

"Include full e-mail headers when you file a spoofing report. Find out how to read e-mail headers here. "

Where?

http://www.wiredsafety.org/safety/email_safety/headers.html

sylvie (red-faced)

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
English to German
+ ...
..awww! Oct 23, 2006

Thank you very, very much, Sylvie! (...no need to blush - it's just like when I send out eMails - in which I explicitly state that I'm sending an attachment along with the mail - and then I hit 'Send' and - whoops, there goes the eMail, but no attachment!)

I was wondering - is it possible that these spammers can spoof the proz.com website - and thus, all the business websites linked to proz?

It would be interesting to know if Ralph and I are being 'spoofed' by the same
... See more
Thank you very, very much, Sylvie! (...no need to blush - it's just like when I send out eMails - in which I explicitly state that I'm sending an attachment along with the mail - and then I hit 'Send' and - whoops, there goes the eMail, but no attachment!)

I was wondering - is it possible that these spammers can spoof the proz.com website - and thus, all the business websites linked to proz?

It would be interesting to know if Ralph and I are being 'spoofed' by the same person/company/whatever...hmmm...

Best regards!

~Christina
Collapse

Emmanuelle Riffault
Emmanuelle Riffault  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:19
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
Same problem Jan 12, 2007

ChristinaT wrote:

It would be interesting to know if Ralph and I are being 'spoofed' by the same person/company/whatever...hmmm...

Best regards!

~Christina

I have the same problem. My mail server is hosted by proz and I've just asked them what I can do to stop this.

Best regards

Emmanuelle

Clara Llamas-Gómez
Clara Llamas-Gómez
Ireland
Local time: 09:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spoofed email address Apr 17, 2007

I am experiencing the same problem. I have been receiving hundreds of bounced back emails and messages from anti spam programs. It looks like my domain name is being used to send spam. My domain is hosted by Proz. Did anyone in this thread find a solution to this problem? I am getting quite worried that my ISP will accuse me of spamming and will therefore cancel my service or that my domain name will be blacklisted. Any suggestions??

[Edited at 2007-04-17 14:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosted site email now getting hundreds of returned mail notifications.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »