Thunderbird and my ProZ-hosted e-mail:Login fails...
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 8, 2007

Yesterday, something very odd happened: Mozilla Thunderbird sort of erased itself--all my messages and settings vanished. Now, even though I believe I'm following all the instructions for configuring my e-mail, I can't get connected to my ProZ-hosted account. I put in a support ticket, but I haven't had a response, and my workday is falling apart around my ears.

Please if someone has a couple of minutes, could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

First, I've logged onto
... See more
Yesterday, something very odd happened: Mozilla Thunderbird sort of erased itself--all my messages and settings vanished. Now, even though I believe I'm following all the instructions for configuring my e-mail, I can't get connected to my ProZ-hosted account. I put in a support ticket, but I haven't had a response, and my workday is falling apart around my ears.

Please if someone has a couple of minutes, could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

First, I've logged onto the cPanelX and changed my password for my e-mail [email protected] (to be certain I'm using the right password).

When I poll for messages, I connect to ProZ (sometimes it has asked me to okay the authentication certificate but now it's not doing that anymore). Then I'm asked for my password, which I type in and I get a message that says:

"Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.patriciarosas.net login failed."

Is this a configuration problem? Or is it something else?? Any ideas???

Thanks!!
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Username Oct 8, 2007

Maybe it is a problem of the username. I've had that too, before I figured it out (it is described somewhere in the help, but I forgot about it...)

Make sure you use your full email address as the login name (use + instead of @ as some email clients do not process it properly), that is:

username: translations+patriciarosas.net

This should be used when your email address is not the same as your main username in cPanel.

[Edited at 2007-10-08 16:59]

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:07
English to Slovak
+ ...
Check ISP Oct 8, 2007

Hi,

I had the same problem few months ago. My ISP used to be Homechoice which was taken over by Tiscali. Took me forever to figure out where was the problem. If this is the case, you will need to change your SMTP (Outgoing Mail Server) in your settings.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
not sure where to enter the "username" Oct 8, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

Maybe it is a problem of the username. I've had that too, before I figured it out (it is described somewhere in the help, but I forgot about it...)

Make sure you use your full email address as the login name (use + instead of @ as some email clients do not process it properly), that is:

This should be used when your email address is not the same as your main username in cPanel.

Thanks for suggesting this. It's true that the two names are different, but in Thunderbird's configuration there is no place to enter a username, and where it asks for the address it specifically says to use the @.

Because I can't cope with the slow web mail, I let the CPanel automatically configure the account for Outlook Express, and it works just fine -- using the same password -- so it seems to be a problem with Thunderbird.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
YOU WERE RIGHT, JABBERWOCK Oct 8, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

I went back to the CPanel, and stared at the instructions and I suddenly realized that there IS a place in the Thunderbird configuration window to put an incoming username. So, I changed it from "translations" to "translations+patriciarosas.net" and now it works fine.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

(And thanks, too, to Rad for his suggestion ... )

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
No problem... Oct 8, 2007

I'm glad I could help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird and my ProZ-hosted e-mail:Login fails...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »