Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:01
Partial member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Jan 1, 2008

Hello,

I would like to use google apps to handle the email for my domain (qualia-translations.com) -- I have been able to change the MX record through cpanel, but I haven't managed to add a cname record pointing mail.qualia-translations.com to www.ghs.google.com

I believe the possibility exists to change cname records if one registered the domain with proz, but I registered through yahoo (where I could change DNS records easily.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gregory Flanders

Direct link Reply with quote

Linh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 04:01
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Help Oct 29, 2009

gflan wrote:

Hello,

I would like to use google apps to handle the email for my domain (qualia-translations.com) -- I have been able to change the MX record through cpanel, but I haven't managed to add a cname record pointing mail.qualia-translations.com to www.ghs.google.com

I believe the possibility exists to change cname records if one registered the domain with proz, but I registered through yahoo (where I could change DNS records easily.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gregory Flanders

Hi, have you got any solution for changing MX record? I tried to access this function through cpanel (/Mail/Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)) but error occurred:

Can't coerce array into hash at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Email.pm line 2949.
Cpanel::Email::_listmxs() called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Email.pm line 2929
Cpanel::Email::listmxs() called at cpanel.pl line 3564
main::doemail('listmxs') called at cpanel.pl line 1796
main::exectag('') called at cpanel.pl line 4808
main::dotag(undef) called at cpanel.pl line 4691
main::cpanel_parseblock('SCALAR(0x91a0700)') called at cpanel.pl

Could you give more info on that process?

Thank you very much!

Linh Ng.

Maksym Kozub  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:01
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Do you actually want your MX record to point at an alias? Apr 2, 2010

If you want to have something like

mymail IN MX mail.qualia-translations.com
mail.qualia-translations.com IN CNAME www.ghs.google.com

then please keep in mind that it is strongly discouraged. See RFCs 974, 1034, and 1912.
(Formally, it seems possible, since the wording there is "should not" rather than "must not", but still...)

P.S. I know that RFC 974 has been obsoleted, but the way RFCs treat CNAME'd data sections in MX RRs seems to remain the same.

[Редактировалось 2010-04-02 11:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing cname record for mail server

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs