https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/102979-feedback_requested_on_new_rates_format.html

Feedback requested on new rates format
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:10
SITE STAFF
Apr 22, 2008

Hi everyone,

ProZ.com is working on improving the way rates can be entered and displayed in profiles. The goal is for the new rates system to more accurately reflect the way translators describe their real-world rates to their customers. New features will include:

* Different rates for different services, language pairs, and fields of expertise
* Specifying rates as a range or as a single amount
* Surcharges and discounts
* Minimum charges
* Diff
... See more
Hi everyone,

ProZ.com is working on improving the way rates can be entered and displayed in profiles. The goal is for the new rates system to more accurately reflect the way translators describe their real-world rates to their customers. New features will include:

* Different rates for different services, language pairs, and fields of expertise
* Specifying rates as a range or as a single amount
* Surcharges and discounts
* Minimum charges
* Different rate lists for different types of customer (agencies or end clients)

A beta version of a tool for entering and displaying rates in this new format is available for review. The new rate data is stored in an entirely different place than your existing rate data, so you can experiment freely. (Please note that before the system is put into production we plan to purge any rate data entered now for testing.) Rates you enter using this tool will be visible only to you--in the future, we will provide the option to show these new rates to others, depending on your preferences.

Click here to try out the new rates system.

To get started, you might want to import your rates from the old system (by clicking "Import old rates data" in the yellow box at the top of the page). As you experiment, please note how accurately and how easily this new system allows you to describe your own rate tables, and let us know what you think.

I thank the moderators who spent many months discussing potential improvements to the rate system, and who tested several previous versions of this interface.

If you have any feedback of your own to share, please do so by posting below. Thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:10
English to German
+ ...
Typo Apr 22, 2008

Thanks, Jason!
A minor typo: when posting a minimum charge, this is listed as a "Minumum charge".

Best, Ralf

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Different rate lists for different types of customer Apr 22, 2008

Dear Jason,

This looks like a good idea, especially the division between agencies and end clients. But, before I enter anything, how will ProZ distinguish these rates in the future? Will prospects be able to see both rate lists? Will any member be able to see the agency rate lists and will the end client rates be the public rates? Will you sell the new differentiated information as premium content (only) to those using the dashboard to the database?

Cheers,
Gerard

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
We should maintain full control on the visibility of our rates Apr 22, 2008

Gerard de Noord wrote:
... Will prospects be able to see both rate lists? Will any member be able to see the agency rate lists and will the end client rates be the public rates? Will you sell the new differentiated information as premium content (only) to those using the dashboard to the database?...

The idea, agreed in principle but not in every minute detail yet, is that the profile owner should have complete control on to whom the rates are displayed.

For example, we could enter rates for Direct clients and show them to anyone visiting our profile, and keep the page for Agencies restricted to registered agencies only.
Or keep all rates not visible and enter them only for our own use, as a reference, but also used by ProZ.com for statistical purposes.
And finally, something I would like to see implemented, have the option to keep them confidential, and disclose them only on request, on a case by case choice.

In practical term, I would suggest a tool where anyone interested in knowing our rates, sends a "one click appliication", communicating the reasons for asking to access our rates, and we accept or reject the request, according to our decision. Once we agree, the rates will stay visible to that person/agency indefinitely, unless we withdraw the permission.

The main reason for asking this feature is that many translator consider their rates as something of great confidentiality, but they are important to produce accurate and realistic statistics on the average rate per language pair, country and specialization.

Taking care of our right to confidentiality, the site could have a large number of records on which the statistics could be based.

bye
Gianfranco

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Different rates for different types of interpreting Apr 22, 2008

Hi Jason,
Thanks a lot for your hard work

Under types of services it would be useful to have 3 types of interpreting: simultaneous, consecutive and liason as the rates are typically different for each one and not all interpreters offer all kinds of it.

Best,
Magda

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Seems a great set-up! Apr 22, 2008

I have carefully listed rates for both direct clients and agencies, however the information does not appear in my profile yet. My profile still shows the old system.

I first listed all my rates - aimed at agencies - before I realised that we could list rates separately for agencies and direct clients. It transpired that I had listed them under a third heading called "Default". I therefore removed my rates from the Default heading, and differentiated them under the "agency" and "dire
... See more
I have carefully listed rates for both direct clients and agencies, however the information does not appear in my profile yet. My profile still shows the old system.

I first listed all my rates - aimed at agencies - before I realised that we could list rates separately for agencies and direct clients. It transpired that I had listed them under a third heading called "Default". I therefore removed my rates from the Default heading, and differentiated them under the "agency" and "direct client" headings. My question is, "What is the default section for, if our rates are already differentiated?" There is nothing left to write in that section.

The only other comment I have is that I do not wish direct clients to be able to click on the "agency" tab and see the (lower) agency rates. The other way round, however, would not matter much. Maybe it can be ensured that the agency tab is hidden from the view of direct clients?

Astrid
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Default rates Apr 23, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
My question is, "What is the default section for, if our rates are already differentiated?" There is nothing left to write in that section.

I asked the same question, when we were testing the layout of the new rates structure, and got an answer that I report here

"The Default rates are for those not interested in differentiating between direct clients and agencies"

It is for the case when a member prefers to have a single rates structure for everyone.
The programmers have planned, following this query, to add a short explanations on top of each of the 3 pages (Direct clients, Agencies, Default).

... The only other comment I have is that I do not wish direct clients to be able to click on the "agency" tab and see the (lower) agency rates. The other way round, however, would not matter much. Maybe it can be ensured that the agency tab is hidden from the view of direct clients?

I agree. This is a very strong need for many of us.

See above my detailed proposal on a possible method to allow us to maintain full control on who is allowed to see each set of rates.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-04-23 03:21]

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting May 1, 2008

Specially because the current system does not work properly and does not allow me to properly change rates. However, I've tried the beta version and did not experience any special probloems.

I specially like the possibility to add surcharges & discounts, which is certainly very useful because I provide discounts for high-volume work, but wanted also to add surcharges in those cases where my productivity is reduced due to some specific customer requirements.

The causes f
... See more
Specially because the current system does not work properly and does not allow me to properly change rates. However, I've tried the beta version and did not experience any special probloems.

I specially like the possibility to add surcharges & discounts, which is certainly very useful because I provide discounts for high-volume work, but wanted also to add surcharges in those cases where my productivity is reduced due to some specific customer requirements.

The causes for surcharges/discounts do however look however very limited. But it was a good idea to allow to enter "Other causes". You might wish to have a look at the "other causes" entered by the users, so as to add those causes that seem to be used a lot.

One thing that would be *very* interesting is that if a translator enters his rates in, say euros, the customer could view the rate in his preferred currency, instead of having to go to a site like XE.COM to find out how much the translation would cost him. This is specially important given the drop of the dollar.
Collapse

Maynard Hogg
Maynard Hogg  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:10
Japanese to English
Death to bean counters! May 2, 2008

I don't see any support for my "or portion thereof" approach to billing:
US$x.00 per 100 source Japanese characters, or portion thereof
US$y.00 per 100 target English words, or portion thereof

In fact, for larger projects, I'd prefer 1000, not 100.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
When will the new rates figures appear in our profiles? May 2, 2008

I carefully put in all mine on 23rd April, and now the only thing that shows in my profile is the old, single rate - which is my rate for end clients.

Astrid

allangua
allangua  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Price per line must be specified May 3, 2008

It must be specified whether a line has 50, 55 or 60 characters and whether it is with or without blanks. As most translators count 55 characters with blanks per line I suggest that you do not only write "per line" but "per line of 55 characters with blanks".

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
Japanese to English
I would like to know this, too. May 8, 2008

I carefully put in all mine on 23rd April, and now the only thing that shows in my profile is the old, single rate - which is my rate for end clients.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback requested on new rates format

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »