Agency that has been banned from posting jobs still allowed to be a corporate member?
Thread poster: Niraja Nanjundan
Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
German to English
Apr 24, 2008

A few days ago I was contacted by an agency and checked their Blue Board record. They have eleven 1s, all because of non-payment (some of the translators haven't been paid for years, and it seems they are still waiting!). Fortunately, they have been banned from posting jobs on ProZ.com, presumably because of this poor record. Needless to say, I did not reply to their enquiry.

I was looking through the list of corporate members today (just out of curiosity) and was surprised to see this very agency listed as one of the corporate members! Surely, if they have been banned from posting jobs, they should be banned from ProZ.com altogether. Doesn't being a corporate member mean the agency has the special privileges associated with the Connect platform? Isn't it possible that an agency with such a poor record could behave in the same way when using Connect, which is supposed to be bringing together the best clients and translators on a "premium" platform?

I have obviously misunderstood ProZ.com's policy on outsourcers that are banned from posting jobs. I thought they were automatically banned from the site altogether, but this does not seem to be the case.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:52
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That is so strange Apr 24, 2008

I don't know what is the agency you are referring to, but obviously, it doesn't make any sense that they keep being listed as corporate outsourcers. That means they can contact translators through the profile and those who have no access to the BB may be deceived.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:52
English to German
+ ...
Please contact ProZ.com staff, or a moderator Apr 24, 2008

Hi Niraja,

Please identify this outsourcer to ProZ.com staff (via a Support Request), or contact a Jobs moderator - we'll look into this straight away.

Thanks, and best regards,
Ralf

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Support ticket submitted Apr 24, 2008

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply.

I have just submitted a support ticket to staff.

Best regards,
Niraja

Jason Grimes
Local time: 12:52
SITE STAFF
Outsourcer already banned from using site features; corporate membership revoked Apr 24, 2008

Hi Niraja,

Thanks for submitting your support ticket about this outsourcer. This corporate member's account had already been banned from posting jobs or contacting others via the site (though they still might make contact via other channels or accounts). I have revoked this company's corporate membership, in line with the ProZ.com termination policy.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

Best regards,

Jason

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jason Apr 24, 2008

Thanks for your prompt action.

The outsourcer concerned did in fact contact me through the directory of one of the more prominent CAT tools vendors and not through ProZ.com, so I probably should have guessed that they were already banned from using site features after seeing their Blue Board record.

Still, I hope this also serves as a warning to others to check out clients thoroughly before accepting jobs. Thanks to features like the Blue Board, this can be done fairly easily now.

Many thanks to you, all other staff members and the moderators for monitoring, looking after and continuously improving all these site features.

Best regards,
Niraja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency that has been banned from posting jobs still allowed to be a corporate member?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs