Pamela Brizzola  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:14
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2008

Dear All
even in times of full workload, I'm curious to see the details of jobs posted on Proz and today I did it again.
It was a translation agency from China offering 0.05 USD per source word.

Actually, I wasted my time.

So, I'd like to propose that Proz system for my account is set so that I don't receive offers for my language combination below a specificed minimum rate.

I don't know if this is already settable or if anybody has already proposed that.

What do you think?

Pamela

Direct link Reply with quote

MariusJacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I second that Sep 10, 2008

I recently received an offer from a company offering $0.03 per source word for a very technical translation. To be honest, it's almost insulting.

I would really like to see a system, which allows you to set a minimum rate.

Anybody else?

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 10, 2008

Easytrad di Pamela Brizzola wrote:
So, I'd like to propose that Proz system for my account is set so that I don't receive offers for my language combination below a specificed minimum rate.

I don't know if this is already settable or if anybody has already proposed that.

Great idea!
I support the suggestion...

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:14
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
This filter already exists! Sep 10, 2008

But it appears to be broken. I've had an open support ticket for ages on this issue.

Jennifer Neikes  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Yes! Sep 10, 2008

I would absolutely love to have such a filter possibility. Mostly to prevent myself from getting annoyed with how lowly our qualified work is esteemed by some companies.

If something like that once existed and doesn't work anymore despite support tickets it makes you wonder why it hasn't been repaired yet.

We actually just had a very lively discussion about dumping prices in the business at the Danish powwow last week. From what I gathered there, there would be a lot of colleagues who'd surely appreciate such a feature.

Jon Peck  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English
Filter works for Connect jobs, will retrofit classic job filter Sep 10, 2008

All,

Thank you for sharing your concerns; the Connect job system currently utilizes a per-word/per-hour filter based on minimum rates per language pair that does currency conversion with daily updated conversion rates. I'll fast-track the implementation of the newer filtration system into the classic job system.

Best regards,
Jon
ProZ.com Staff Developer

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:14
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Fast-tracking the filter implementation Sep 10, 2008

Jon Peck wrote:
I'll fast-track the implementation of the newer filtration system into the classic job system.

Please do, Jon. It's very annoying to get spammed with a bunch of trash jobs from the zookeepers of the translation world.

Dana Rinaldi
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Great Sep 10, 2008

I never knew about this feature.... Thanks Pamela for picking up the subject!

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Agree Sep 10, 2008

.. and if those job-posters will have he sense to note a (spectacular, I hope) drop in the number of candidates who will receive the offers, then maybe this is the best way of telling where the level is.
Birthe

Jon Peck  Identity Verified
English
Feature re-implemented Sep 10, 2008

All,

Thank you for your feedback. I've updated the feature to utilize the same system of currency conversion that the Connect jobs system uses so your minimum rates will be respected regardless of what currency they're in and the number of recipients adjusts appropriately.

Best regards,
Jon Peck
ProZ.com Staff Developer

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
Actually... Sep 10, 2008

Birthe Omark wrote:

.. and if those job-posters will have he sense to note a (spectacular, I hope) drop in the number of candidates who will receive the offers, then maybe this is the best way of telling where the level is.
Birthe

... it has been suggested numerous times that whenever an outsourcer states their per-word rate, a sign appears stating something along these lines:

"Your stated rate is XXX; please note that [number] proz members have asked not receive job notifications under XXX treshold"

As far as I know, this suggestion has gone by unnoticed and hasn't even been given serious (if at all) consideration.

Greetings

Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:14
SITE STAFF
Notifying the poster when the rate offered is below the community average Sep 10, 2008

Hello Andrea,

As far as I know, this suggestion has gone by unnoticed and hasn't even been given serious (if at all) consideration.

Actually, both job systems do notify the poster if they are posting under the average community rate. Connect notifies the job poster of the number of candidates they will not reach when there are candidates who have set their minimum rate higher than the rate offered.

Best regards,

Jared

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
I stand -somewhat- corrected Sep 10, 2008

Thanks for the info, Jared, I wasn't aware of that.

Still, it is not quite the same as the suggestion I mention (in the case of the "regular" job postings, I mean), since merely stating that their rate is below the average rates is quite different from stating actual, hard numbers.

I appreciate the improvement on the Connect jobs, though.

Greetings

[Edited at 2008-09-10 21:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A filter not to receive jobs under a specified rate

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs