Couldn´t ProZ.com categorize job postings too?
Thread poster: María T. Vargas
María T. Vargas
María T. Vargas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 6, 2003

Dear all,

Once again in English for the benefit of practically everyone in our big "family".
When I recently complained about postings offering US $ 0.01 (or even less) per word, I was reminded that a a company based in the US cannot fix prices or not accept prices under or over a certain figure.
I have just thought that what proZ could do is "rate" postings. As there are platinum and, like in other sites, we could have gold and silver translators (I'm not suggesting
... See more
Dear all,

Once again in English for the benefit of practically everyone in our big "family".
When I recently complained about postings offering US $ 0.01 (or even less) per word, I was reminded that a a company based in the US cannot fix prices or not accept prices under or over a certain figure.
I have just thought that what proZ could do is "rate" postings. As there are platinum and, like in other sites, we could have gold and silver translators (I'm not suggesting this I'm merely mentioning what you find in other sites), whyc ouldn't we have categories for postings? If such is the case when we would see a "silver" posting, we would, for example, know that the rate offered is one which we are or are not willing to accept. It would save us time and grievances.
If you think my suggestion is silly or could not be adopted, excuse me for taking your time but spending my time reading postings that upset me and maybe even infuriate me have made think that if clients can now "screen" out for a certain period of time non platinum translators, we, the translators, could choose whether to read postings below platinum or gold rates.
Kindest regards to everyone,

Pampi
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
No notification of jobs below your entered minimum rates Jul 6, 2003

María Vargas wrote:

Dear all,

... we would, for example, know that the rate offered is one which we are or are not willing to accept. It would save us time and grievances.
If you think my suggestion is silly or could not be adopted, excuse me for taking your time but spending my time reading postings that upset me and maybe even infuriate me have made think that if clients can now "screen" out for a certain period of time non platinum translators, we, the translators, could choose whether to read postings below platinum or gold rates.
Kindest regards to everyone,

Pampi

Actually, Pampi, there's already a similar system in place. If you entered your rates, you shouldn't receive notifications of jobs below your minimums.

Please check: www.proz.com/?sp=faq#rates:

Rates
How do I enter my rates?

Rates are entered from the profile page.

Why should I enter rates?

Benefits of specifying a range of rates:
(1) Specifying a rate range makes it easier for clients to consider working with you
(2) You will not be bothered with notifications of jobs below your minimums
(3) You will be able to compare your rates with aggregated data from other pros in your pairs

Also, by specifying the range in which you are willing to work, you supply valuable information that will be used in educating clients. For example, if a client wants to post a job at 0.001 cents/word (a very low rate), he or she will be presented with data showing the percentage of pros who are not willing to work at that rate. This helps to head off unreasonable offers

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
That's how it should be, Evert Jul 6, 2003

I'm sorry, but it's not working. We are (at least I am) receiving notifications for job offers under my rates and for what I could see, Pampi has also entered her rates.

I don't know either for how long it has been out of service, but it should answer to Pampi's expectations when it will work again

[Edited at 2003-07-07 00:09]

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Closed job offers Jul 13, 2003

I always get to a page that says : either bidding on this job has been closed...blablabla) so I'd rather not receive job offers as I can go to the site and look at the view jobs (whic I have to click anyway with an e-mailed job offer. It fills my mailbox and wastes my time. I don't want to send an e-mail as I have not been well received when I did but I'd like to have this fixed.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
You can change your mail options Jul 13, 2003

Hello Odette

In order not to receive job offers, go to your profile, switch to "edit" mode.
Under the language you use you'll see "edit email preferences". Go to jobs and de-select "posted jobs".

It also happens with KudoZ, the time of reaction is shorter and shorter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Couldn´t ProZ.com categorize job postings too?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »