Thread poster: ChristinaT
ChristinaT
ChristinaT
Local time: 13:15
English to German
+ ...
Jul 18, 2003

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of thing, but, in job posting #39832, a link to a website is posted. Assumingly, this is the website that is supposed to be translated.

Problem is: when I click the link, I am forwarded to a typical dialer site! Is this a problem only I am having, with MY computer? Or did someone really post a link to a dialer site?? OR, is that site (those
... See more
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of thing, but, in job posting #39832, a link to a website is posted. Assumingly, this is the website that is supposed to be translated.

Problem is: when I click the link, I am forwarded to a typical dialer site! Is this a problem only I am having, with MY computer? Or did someone really post a link to a dialer site?? OR, is that site (those 50 sites that appear, actually) supposed to be translated?

Many thanks in advance! I don't feel very comfortable with mysterious xxx sites being opened in my browser...

With best regards from Germany,

Christina
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Cannot replicate your problem Jul 18, 2003

Hi Christina,

It is the right forum - in addition, it's always helpful to contact the Jobs Area coordinators in case of any issues.

Problem is: when I click the link, I am forwarded to a typical dialer site! Is this a problem only I am having, with MY computer? Or did someone really post a link to a dialer site?? OR, is that site (those 50 sites that appear, actually) supposed to be translated?

Many thanks in advance! I don't feel very comfortable with mysterious xxx sites being opened in my browser...

Neither would I - but all I get is the website that's quoted in the job posting.

Which operating system and browser are you using?

Does anyone else get the behaviour Christina has described?

Best regards, Ralf

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:15
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It does not happen to me... Jul 18, 2003

ChristinaT wrote:

...when I click the link, I am forwarded to a typical dialer site! Is this a problem only I am having, with MY computer? Or did someone really post a link to a dialer site?

I visited the job and the website they provide. I did not get any dialer, just a plain art website with lots of pictures.
I clicked all links and images and nothing strange happened.

Could someone else check this job and site and report if you find all normal or you hit the same problem experienced by Christina?

Gianfranco

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So it IS a prob with my computer.. Jul 18, 2003

Thank you both for checking! So, it's what I was afraid of...my computer is causing problems. Typical. I buy a new system, and things go wrong.

I'm working on a Win XP OS, using IE 6 (Internet Explorer). I suppose Ad-Alert (or what was that great free program called?), would help.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very thankful!

Again, best regards!

Christina

P.S.: It's so strange! Even if I copy and paste the address into
... See more
Thank you both for checking! So, it's what I was afraid of...my computer is causing problems. Typical. I buy a new system, and things go wrong.

I'm working on a Win XP OS, using IE 6 (Internet Explorer). I suppose Ad-Alert (or what was that great free program called?), would help.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very thankful!

Again, best regards!

Christina

P.S.: It's so strange! Even if I copy and paste the address into a new browser window, it sends me to those sites!! It's like, I just cannot connect to the right page. I wonder, if someone posted a web-addy in here, and I click that link - would it send me to those strange sites as well??

This is frustrating.

[Edited at 2003-07-18 08:06]
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
No problem Jul 18, 2003

There are reportedly many such sites under Terra personal pages, but I'm afraid this isn't one of them, just a plain art website.

Maybe ona of the numbers in the URL jumped and directed Christina into the wrong page. I'd strongly encourage her to keep on trying, even copy-pasting the URL this time, to see if this was just a temporary bug.

Saludos,

Ruben

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forwarded to dialer site, even via search engine? Jul 18, 2003

Hello again,

this is insane! Even if I search for the site via search engine, and I find it, it STILL forwards me to this dialer site!

What on earth is causing my computer to do this? Would it make sense to contact the computer store, where I bought my computer? Has someone experienced something like this before?

Again, many thanks in advance, and thanks for letting me vent!

Regards,
Christina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hold your horses... Jul 18, 2003

I cross-posted this on the moderators' list, and one of our colleagues gets similar behaviour.

What kind of Internet access do you use? Are you connected directly, or are you using a proxy server?

Thanks, Ralf

ChristinaT
ChristinaT
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Technical questions Jul 18, 2003

Thanks for checking up on this all, Ralf. For all I know, I'm connected directly to the net.

I'm really pretty much an internet illiterate when it comes to those technical things. If you could tell me where to look, maybe I could provide more info.

I'm connected via T-online, if that helps at all.

hmmm...

Best regards,

Christina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Job closed Jul 18, 2003

Hi again,
I closed that job after similar or identical behaviour was reported by two moderators who use a dialup connection to access the web.

The reason why I could not replicate it might be in the type of connection I use (direct line via proxy server).

Once again, thanks for notifying this.

Ralf

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:15
English to German
+ ...
Maybe a bug of the Terra server? Jul 18, 2003

If I open http://www.artsfairies.com (no matter in which way), using T-Online, I get forwarded to http://www.terra.es/personal5/934280899/

This is a bug, it should rather show the original URL. Maybe it is also responsible for forwarding you to any dialer address?
Some dialers use addresses v
... See more
If I open http://www.artsfairies.com (no matter in which way), using T-Online, I get forwarded to http://www.terra.es/personal5/934280899/

This is a bug, it should rather show the original URL. Maybe it is also responsible for forwarding you to any dialer address?
Some dialers use addresses very similar to good addresses (to catch people who occurred a typo). I recommend inquiring at Terra.
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
It's not a bug, it's a feature... Jul 18, 2003

This is a proxy problem - some servers block access from certain proxies based on the proxys' location. I've seen this before - there's a major American provider of *free* web space blocking access to the page for any proxy not coming from the U.S. I remember reading similar things about terra.es, i.e. blocking some range of IP numbers. The forwarding from the original URL to the Terra site is nothing to worry about, it's just an indicator that a business isn't buying his web space but getting i... See more
This is a proxy problem - some servers block access from certain proxies based on the proxys' location. I've seen this before - there's a major American provider of *free* web space blocking access to the page for any proxy not coming from the U.S. I remember reading similar things about terra.es, i.e. blocking some range of IP numbers. The forwarding from the original URL to the Terra site is nothing to worry about, it's just an indicator that a business isn't buying his web space but getting it free of charge.

I suppose your IP address falls within this range. Use the control panel to enter a different proxy and your problem will disappear.

[Edited at 2003-07-18 10:37]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No dialer - site problem Jul 27, 2003

Hi all,
A quick update on this issue: I exchanged a number of emails with the poster of this job, who is also the operator of the website concerned.

The problems experienced were caused by a temporary problem at their site, and should have been rectified by now.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dialer in job bid?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »