Mobile menu

New postings by agencies with very bad Blue Board Entries
Thread poster: María T. Vargas

María T. Vargas  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2003

Once again I do not know if it is lawful or not to reject postings from an agency in the US where proZ does business. (As it is not lawful to fix prices)
But what I definitely want to say is that when a certain agency has, for example, three entries in Blue Board stating that they never pay translators, not just that they pay late or find excuses for paying less, etc., just DO NOT PAY period, I cannot understand why they are allowed to keep on posting jobs.
Right now there is an offer from an agency which has kept on posting jobs after being denounced in Blue Board for not paying translators worldwide.
Have these people defended themselves and I have not read their reply? Is there anywhere on proZ where you can find their "side" of the story?
And if nothing of this sort is available and translators are still unpaid, why are they allowed to keep on posting jobs?
My humble suggestion is that when at least three translators have entered this kind of comment and stand by their claim, no more postings from such agency should be accepted.
Regards to all,

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:38
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
We already have such policy in place Aug 3, 2003

María Vargas wrote:

My humble suggestion is that when at least three translators have entered this kind of comment and stand by their claim, no more postings from such agency should be accepted.

Dear colleague,
this site is already acting against unreliable and non paying outsourcers but the action is not simply based on the Blue Board ratings, as they are not sufficient to demonstrate the bad business practices if not supported by more detailed documentation.

We need a minimum of three translators willing to provide material evidence to have delivered a job according to the agreed timing and general terms, having the job accepted and not having been paid.

The documentation should include invoices, terms agreed, relevant email exchanges and a brief summary to highlight the agency's failure to pay.

The site staff or Jobs moderators will examine the documentation, contact the oursourcers, ask them to solve all pending payments and, according to the outcome, ask them to abstain from using the Jobs area again.

In case of not compliance the site moderators and staff will delete any further jobs posted and the agency may be marked as not welcome (effectively as banned from the Jobs area) on their Blue Board entry.

This policy has been recently applied to a number of agencies and we intend to carry out these actions for every case for which we receive the necessary information.

If you have any evidence, please contact the site staff or the Jobs area coordinators
Ralf Lemster and Giuliana Buscaglione.

You can find their profile and email contact on this page:

Best regards
Gianfranco Manca
ProZ Moderators Coordinator

[Edited at 2003-08-04 05:14]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Gianfranco Aug 3, 2003

Maria, operates a termination policy that provides for the ban of outsourcers if there are three confirmed cases of non-payment. Confirmed means that the complaining providers must state that they delivered on time, and in accordance with job specifications, that an invoice was issued (we have seen cases where non-payment was claimed, but no invoice was ever sent...) and that no payment had been made.

Obviously, neither nor any moderator can accept any responsibility for the business practices of an outsourcer. Remember that moderators are volunteers running their own businesses - we simply cannot track each individual BB entry. In fact, we already discussed automated alarms in the event of multiple "1" ratings - personally, I don't think that's going to help because a low rating isn't necessarily based on non-payment. Also, when demanding hard facts, some "1" ratings simply vanish. The BB ratings express someone's willingness to work for a given outsourcer again in the future - we cannot trigger automatic bans on that basis.

In summary: if you think you identified a rogue outsourcer, just contact the Jobs Area coordinators, and we'll look into it.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New postings by agencies with very bad Blue Board Entries

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs