potra
potra
United States
Local time: 22:27
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 25, 2009

I think that companies listed under the Proz.com blue board should be removed when repeatedly failing to pay translators.
Is there any kind of disciplinary measure or membership cancellation penalty in the Proz.com statute?

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
That makes little sense Mar 25, 2009

They need to remain, and translators need to post negative entries. If you remove them, you are actually doing them a favor.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:27
English to German
You need to report them Mar 25, 2009

If a company is a notorious non-payer you and others need to make a negative BlueBoard entry. If there are enough such entries - it doesn't take many but more than one - they will be banned from posting jobs on ProZ.com and a notice to that extent is added to their Blueboard entry. I'm not sure I'm allowed to give the URL for a banned company here so I won't but I know of one or two of them.

Removing their entries altogether is counterproductive as David has already pointed out.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
BB Mar 25, 2009

Blue Board is not a board to honor outsourcers. Its purpose is to provide information to translators. Removing entries would mean loss of information.

And, by the way, this is not off topic at all. Should have been posted as an on topic thread elsewhere, most probably under the Proz.com Job Systems forum.

[Adding later to thank to whoever has done the correction.]

[Edited at 2009-03-26 13:22 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:27
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Please don't remove them! Mar 26, 2009

David Russi wrote:

They need to remain, and translators need to post negative entries. If you remove them, you are actually doing them a favor.

I absolutely agree. Bad payers' records must remain for all to see. It's one of the best warnings available to us freelancers, but some notorious rotters are banned from posting jobs on Proz.
Kind regards,
Jenny

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE BAD PAYER'S HISTORY Mar 26, 2009

The whole idea of BB is that we can assess an outsourcer, (to a certain degree) BEFORE taking on 'risky' jobs. Who on earth would want that information removed from our website?
Nigel.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
There is a policy for banning non-paying companies from using ProZ.com Mar 26, 2009

potra wrote:

I think that companies listed under the Proz.com blue board should be removed when repeatedly failing to pay translators.
Is there any kind of disciplinary measure or membership cancellation penalty in the Proz.com statute?

I'm assuming you mean that a company that has had multiple reports of non-payment should not be allowed to use the site to find translators. Yes, that is the policy. An attempt is made to verify that the non-payment reports are current, however. Often they are out of date. If you know of a certain company that you think should be barred from using the site, please submit a support ticket.

http://www.proz.com/support

Silvia Puit V�gelin
Silvia Puit V�gelin
Belgium
German to Spanish
+ ...
and other types of companies? Mar 26, 2009

What about companies (mainly agencies) who offer jobs for the lowest price possible? (not an acceptable price either). If we really want to have a fair market, we should ban this kind of companies from proz.
Example of today: a Spanish company searches for interpreters and pays them 60€ per hour. I have seen worse (in proz.com also), but normally, as the AIIC rules state, one should pay intepreters per day (about 600€ per day, more or less, and depending on the country in Europe), gene
... See more
What about companies (mainly agencies) who offer jobs for the lowest price possible? (not an acceptable price either). If we really want to have a fair market, we should ban this kind of companies from proz.
Example of today: a Spanish company searches for interpreters and pays them 60€ per hour. I have seen worse (in proz.com also), but normally, as the AIIC rules state, one should pay intepreters per day (about 600€ per day, more or less, and depending on the country in Europe), generally not accepting half day rates.
Hope someone caan help me with this one!
Best regards!
Collapse

potra
potra
United States
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Defaulting companies Mar 26, 2009

Thanks to you all for the feedback. On second thoughts, I agree that a record of company misconduct should remain on the Proz BlueBoard for everyone to see.
I do think that Proz should block the company account for future bidding, so that they may not contact translators through the site.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termination Policy Mar 26, 2009

Hi 'potra',
I'm not sure if you read Henry's response.

I do think that Proz should block the company account for future bidding, so that they may not contact translators through the site.

That is precisely what the Termination Policy is about.

Best regards,
Ralf

potra
potra
United States
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Defaulting companies Mar 26, 2009

Yes Ralf, I did read Henry's response, I will give the company another month then I will proceed with a support ticket.
Thank you Henry for your response.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please use Blue Board for reporting experience with outsourcers Mar 26, 2009

The Blue Board should be used for reporting on your experience with an outsourcer, whether the experience was good or bad. In fact, in order to trigger an outsourcer warning under the Termination policy, at least 2 reports of non-payment need to be received via the Blue Board record. Submitting a Support request, in such cases, will only indirectly have the same effect.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board removal for defaulting companies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »