Recent Hungarian, Bulgarian and Romanian etc. postings - plea from agency
Thread poster: FirstTrans

FirstTrans
Local time: 09:43
English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2003

Dear all,
As director of "First Translation" (not "First Translation Company"), could I possibly ask translators bidding for the following jobs
http://www.proz.com/job/41837 and
http://www.proz.com/job/41838
not to send their resumes to me but to bid online? "First Translation" has no connections with "First Translation Company". I have been inundated with resumes. If someone would kindly supply me (privately) with the e-mail address of Theresa Stillwell I would be very grateful.
Kind regards,
Amy Williams
First Translation

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't like people who try to do things otherwise Aug 26, 2003

In these job offers there's no email nor website because the person who posted these offers wants the interested translators to bid through the bidding page.
But there are translators who think that they are clever and act as detectives and contact otherwise the outsourcer (I think that behind this behavior there's no good intention, either they want to cut prices down or to remain anonymous).

If I was the outsourcer I wouldn't even dare looking at these biddings that didn't follow the indicated process.

In this case it's even worse, they didn't reach the right company at least.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 10:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
unsolicited CVs or direct contacts are rarely welcome Aug 26, 2003

Hi Amy,

Some colleagues seem to think that a direct contact might increase their chances to get the job, even if the job poster has chosen to post a *bidding job*. Pretty unprofessional... IMHO. Or a way not to pay some BrowniZ.....

I am very sorry you are on the receiving end

I don't know her email address, but if you'd like to get in touch with her quickly, why don't you use the bidding function (not for bidding, of course)?? .... This wouldn't stop the flood, I presume, but the job poster might add a note to her job posting.

Giuliana

FirstTrans
Local time: 09:43
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 26, 2003

Thank you for your comments - just one of those unfortunate incidents! I did place a bid last night, but there have been a fair number across three job postings, so I doubt that it will stand out!

All the best and enjoy your weeks,
Amy

Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
Could someone please explain...?! Oct 20, 2003

I might be wasting my time in posting this comment, as this is such an old thread, but still... I'm a bit confused by some of the writings concerning this matter, with people saying that contacting potential clients directly is unwelcome/bad thing to do, etc., like e.g. Claudia Iglesias wrote above:

"But there are translators who think that they are clever and act as detectives and contact otherwise the outsourcer (I think that behind this behavior there's no good intention, either they want to cut prices down or to remain anonymous)."

But isn't this exactly how translators acquire new clients, especially translators just getting/trying to get established?!
I mean direct marketing of your services.
There must be something I'm missing here...
(You can see I'm new in this!) Or is it just that you're not supposed to directly contact any agency who has recently posted a job in Proz.com..? No, I haven't done this myself, but to be honest I can't really see a big difference in sending your CV to agencies whose contact information you've found while browsing the internet, and sending it to agencies whose contact information you have found via a Proz.com job posting! If there IS a big difference, I would be thankful if someone pointed that out to me, so that as a newcomer to freelancing world I could avoid such pitfalls...

[Edited at 2003-10-21 09:41]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Explanation Oct 20, 2003

Hi Heli

We were talking about job offers posted in ProZ, for which bidders had to contact the outsourcer through the bidding page. Instead of that, some translators tried to see who was the outsourcer, they found a profile (Amy's), and wrote to her, and she had nothing to do with the offer.

Some translators do that in order not to spend BrowniZ, it took me some time to realize that.
What I was particularly referring to is to cases as one that we saw in detail, where there was an offer, with a website for reference. Via the website somebody had managed to contact the client directly, not the agency who had offered the job.

But isn't this exactly how translators acquire new clients, especially translators just getting/trying to get established?!
I mean direct marketing of your services.
There must be something I'm missing here...
(You can see I'm new in this...) Or is it just that you're not supposed to directly contact any agency who has recently posted a job in Proz.com..? No, I haven't done this myself, but to be honest I can't really see a big difference in sending your CV your to agencies who's contact information you've found while browsing the internet, and sending it to agencies who's contact information you have found via a Proz.com job posting! If there IS a big difference, I would be thankful if someone pointed that out to me, so that as a newcomer to freelancing world I could avoid such pitfalls...

My view on this matter (and there must be different views) is that there's nothing wrong with that, if we are not talking about a particular job.
The Blue Board has plenty of reliable agencies, with good marks and I see nothing wrong in contacting them.
I hope it's more understandable.

Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
Yes, that's what I was thinking, too Oct 21, 2003

...but with such negative comments like
"unsolicited CVs or direct contacts are rarely welcome", I wasn't sure anymore...
Thanks for clearing it out, in any case!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recent Hungarian, Bulgarian and Romanian etc. postings - plea from agency

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs