Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:35
Czech to German
+ ...
Sep 15, 2003

Hi all,

maybe I'm wrong but since this new job-system has been introduced I notice that much more jobs than before require certification or even verified certification, also for jobs with no security-relevant or other special topics at all.
Is this due to a change in the form for job-offering or do outsourcers really need a "verified certification" for a manual about some household equipment?

Charlotte

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
(verified) certification Sep 15, 2003

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi all,

maybe I'm wrong but since this new job-system has been introduced I notice that much more jobs than before require certification or even verified certification, also for jobs with no security-relevant or other special topics at all.
Is this due to a change in the form for job-offering or do outsourcers really need a "verified certification" for a manual about some household equipment?

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,

Could you please tell us where you read this?

I know outsourcers may choose between a few options (below), but I can't locate the 'certification' bit:

-Must have credentials verified by ProZ.com
-Must have self-reported credentials
-Not required

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
http://www.proz.com/job/42840 Sep 15, 2003

Hi Evert,

this was a job English-German, posted on 12. September, about a "Hair clipper/trimmer manual, 1000 words". In the description itself there was no mention of any certificate but on the Job-page below "Client specs".
This is just one example I remember but there have been more, that's why I'm curious to know what it's about and why all of a sudden people start requiring a certification.

Charlotte

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Not certification, but a credential required Sep 15, 2003

Charlotte Blank wrote:

This is just one example I remember but there have been more, that's why I'm curious to know what it's about and why all of a sudden people start requiring a certification.

This job (http://www.proz.com/job/42840) doesn't require certification, but applicants must have a credential to apply.

To my mind there's a slight difference in meaning between the two - but maybe I'm splitting hairs here.....

FWIW
Alison

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certification or credential? Sep 15, 2003

My former text having disappeared here once again the whole story as in the Job Listings:

Sep 12 English>German
Hair clipper/trimmer manual, 1000 words. Certification: verified required Bids: 2

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

This job (http://www.proz.com/job/42840) doesn't require certification, but applicants must have a credential to apply.

Where did you find that? Or maybe proz writes "certification" in the Job section and "credential" in the Posting section, both meaning just the same?

[Edited at 2003-09-16 12:52]

[Edited at 2003-09-16 15:43]

L. Russell Jones
L. Russell Jones  Identity Verified
German to English
Translation Credential or Certificate/Certification Sep 16, 2003

Hi,

I have noticed an increase in the number of German-English jobs that require a credential and, since I do not have one, also a marked decrease in the daily job notifications I receive via email. As I write this, five of the 10 DE-EN jobs listed require a credential. As an experienced translator, I like to find a way to obtain a credential without extensive schooling, costs etc. Any advice? Many thanks!

Russell

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:35
Georgian to English
+ ...
IOL membership (AIL or MIL) may be a suitable option Sep 16, 2003

L. Russell Jones wrote:

Hi,

I have noticed an increase in the number of German-English jobs that require a credential and, since I do not have one, also a marked decrease in the daily job notifications I receive via email. As I write this, five of the 10 DE-EN jobs listed require a credential. As an experienced translator, I like to find a way to obtain a credential without extensive schooling, costs etc. Any advice? Many thanks!

Russell

if residence in the UK isn't essential, which I'm not sure about. Worth enquiring perhaps ? Or if your links to country or language make it more suitable, perhaps another translation association that has procedures to verify members ability, knowledge, experience and qualifications, etc.
Best wishes
Giuli

~Eng Russ Geo~

[Edited at 2003-09-16 17:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification wanted?!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »