Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Blue Board: is it normal to change your mind?
Thread poster: Martine Etienne

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:20
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 7, 2003

I have been contacted today by an agency asking me to change my Blueboard entry because they have paid one year after the job was done (in augustus 2003 for augustus 2002) after numerous reminders and now they contest the second invoice (also more than one year later) because of a incorrect word count...

Is it normal to change a BlueBoard entry? Is the fact of paying after one year BUT paying transform the agency in a reliable agency?

I am very angry and I will never change my entry but I would like to have your opinions.

Thanks

Martine

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Stick to your guns, Martine! Oct 7, 2003

You have definitely no reason to change your rating. You think what you want about them, and they won't change anything in that! If it were so simple...

I agree that you could (maybe you already did it) edit your comment to say that they eventually paid after one year, but that's all. If you don't like them, they won't force you to say you love them!

Sylvain.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What they do is what they get Oct 7, 2003

I would leave my posting as is. That would serve as a warning for other translators. If they want you to change it they should prove themselves trustworthy.

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:20
Partial member
German to English
+ ...
Hello?!? Oct 7, 2003

What kind of rating does an agency deserve that takes one year to pay? Paying after one year is indeed better than not paying at all, but that just makes them a really bad client to work for, rather than a really really bad client. (My record so far has been 5 months, but apparently I've seen nothing yet.)

María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't change your comment! Oct 7, 2003

Hi!

If you are still very angry, do NOT change your entry! After all, they paid you but after one year and that is not a normal practice at all! If you want, you can edit your entry, but not your rating, saying that they made the payment after all. It's up to you.

Regards,

ALE

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would you work for them again? Oct 7, 2003

Because that is what you are asked when you enter your opinion in the BB. If you gave them a "1" because you don't want to work with them ever again, and if you still feel the same way, end of story, I guess.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You can change your comment and keep the rating Oct 7, 2003

Martine Etienne wrote:

I have been contacted today by an agency asking me to change my Blueboard entry because they have paid one year after the job was done (in augustus 2003 for augustus 2002) after numerous reminders and now they contest the second invoice (also more than one year later) because of a incorrect word count...

It can in fact be useful to add this extra piece of information, e.g. for somebody who had not been paid and has abandoned hope to get paid. Perhaps they will try again - and they might get their money, as yourself.

But I completely agree that you should not change the rating.

[Edited at 2003-10-07 17:27]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The second invoice hasn't been paid yet? Oct 7, 2003

If they still owe you money, tell them that you're going to change it when you get full paid.

Then change your comment for something like "Finally got paid 12 months later and was asked to change my comment". This is valid only if you don't mind not working for them again.

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't want to work for them, would you??? Oct 7, 2003

[quote]Claudia Iglesias wrote:

If they still owe you money, tell them that you\'re going to change it when you get full paid.

Thanks to all. I Will not take this argument, because I really think they are not serious at all. Plenty of reminders without reaction, one payment and now a contestation after ONE year. I would only work for them if they paid beforehand.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
BB rating = willingness to work for a given outsourcer Oct 7, 2003

Hi Martine,
The rating you assign on the Blue Board is an expression of your willingness to work for that particular outsourcer again in the future. If that hasn't changed, your rating shouldn't change either.

What you can do if they have paid (at long last) is to reflect that in your comment.

HTH - Ralf

jmml
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ratings are an advice for fellow translators Oct 7, 2003

Please don't change your rating. I am sure you wanted to "punish" the Company for paying sooo late, but it also serves as a reminder/warning for other colleages. Maybe they'll think twice before they do the same to others.

The way I see it, if they really want you to change your rating, they should pay the said amount plus accrued interests. I mean, 100 € just won´t get you as many things in August 2003 as they would in August 2002.

Besides, after reading your comment I understood there's still a secong invoice pending payment. What were they thinking of?

jmml
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your comments are useful for other freelancers Oct 7, 2003

The fact that you got eventually paid is completely irrelevant. Don´t they know there are things such as inflation? I mean, 100 € just won´t buy you as many things in October 2003 as they would in August 2002. If they really wanted to change your mind they could start by paying the accrued interests.

Besides, BB ratings are an outlet for your anger but serve also as a most reliable warning for other fellow translators. Good luck.

smorales30  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes but be careful Oct 7, 2003

I changed one of my comments on the BB Board, but not the rating. The agency sent me a letter through a lawyer telling me I should change my comment or they would pursue legal action. I didn't say anything offensive, just the truth. But right now I don't want to be in a legal action with an agency. Been there, done that...and even though I won before in court, I don't want to waste my time and go through the same again...Just a warning.
Silvia

Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Comment yes - Rating no! Oct 7, 2003

I shouldn't change the rating but, in case, only the comment, stating that they paid your invoice(s), but after a long, long, long time.

In any case I'd wait for the payment of the second invoice.

Claudio

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sorry???? Oct 7, 2003

I don't understand how a legal action could be taken for a personal opinion.

Nobody can force you to evaluate in any way your willing of working for somebody.
And if you stick to the facts i.e. they paid or not, on time or not, they're professional or not (here we must agree on how to evaluate that)...there's nothing to add, nor to discuss.
Legal action? That was intimidation.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board: is it normal to change your mind?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs