Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:00
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2003

Hi all!

I've noticed recently a flood of series of announcements from translation agencies extending their databases of freelance translators. While I myself have nothing against it, as I always try to get in contact with new potential clients, including agencies, I can't help myself noticing this only prevents me from easily reading "real" job ads, not-related to extension of some database. The really bad thing is that the same agency is posting 5, 10 or 20 ads in say half an hour,
... See more
Hi all!

I've noticed recently a flood of series of announcements from translation agencies extending their databases of freelance translators. While I myself have nothing against it, as I always try to get in contact with new potential clients, including agencies, I can't help myself noticing this only prevents me from easily reading "real" job ads, not-related to extension of some database. The really bad thing is that the same agency is posting 5, 10 or 20 ads in say half an hour, in order to cover all the languages they are working in (and God, aren't they many...)

May I ask: wouldn't it be a good idea creating another Forum, dedicated to this issue? Here agencies might post all their ads and language combinations in a regular forum, and I do not have to search for far more interesting job ads, from my point of view, only because I was so unlucky having an agency posting 10 "extending database" ads just after the ad I might be interested in. Frankly, these ads are not within the scope of the Proz.com's Job Board. Am I right?

Best regards from Bucharest,
Doru Voin
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:00
English to German
+ ...
You are right - but please contact the Jobs Area coordinators Nov 18, 2003

Hi Doru,
You have raised a valid point - this is exactly why such practices are clearly prohibited by the Job Posting FAQ, which are shown when posting:

I don't have a specific job -- but I would like to increase my database of translators.

You may post once. Repeatedly posting calls for translators, without actual jobs, is regarded as intrusive by many professional service providers.

When posting a call for CVs for potential future projects, it is very important that you post complete information about your company and the types of jobs you tend to obtain. Your posting may be removed if such information is not provided.

I'm in the process of removing these postings today - if you spot something like this, the quickest way to deal with it is to contact the Jobs Area coordinators.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies extending their databases

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »