https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/17787-interpreter_postings_not_specifying_location.html

Interpreter postings not specifying location
Thread poster: Marla Sanchez (X)
Marla Sanchez (X)
Marla Sanchez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2004

A suggestion for posting an interpreting job, especially for one hour consecutive assignments (like the one today in Wichita) where the agency ONLY wants a locally-based interpreter: Include location in the job title when you post, that way we busy interpreters won't bother opening it up if we live elsewhere.
As a simultaneous conference interpreter I often travel to cities where the meeting takes place (all expenses paid), so it's normal for me to assume that if a company needs 4 interp
... See more
A suggestion for posting an interpreting job, especially for one hour consecutive assignments (like the one today in Wichita) where the agency ONLY wants a locally-based interpreter: Include location in the job title when you post, that way we busy interpreters won't bother opening it up if we live elsewhere.
As a simultaneous conference interpreter I often travel to cities where the meeting takes place (all expenses paid), so it's normal for me to assume that if a company needs 4 interpreters in Chicago, they'll pay for me to come there.
Also, the postings for interpreters could me more precise listing the type of interpreting involved in addition to the language requirements. Something like, "medical interpreting in Cedar Rapids", "consecutive interpreter for deposition in Tampa."
Anything PROZ could do? Perhaps the form job posters fill out could require more precision?
Thanks,
Marla Sanchez-Pietton
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:03
English to German
+ ...
Difficult to catch all Jan 27, 2004

Hi Marla,
Thanks for your suggestions. Thing is, it's very difficult to devise instructions that would work for each and every type of job posted... That said, we might think of some sort of checklist for interpreting/translation jobs that could be displayed to job posters. What do you think?

Best regards, Ralf

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
2 separate checklists? Jan 28, 2004

"Either" interpretation "or" translation. When you choose interpretation, you come up with other possibilities more tailored to the field (no word count, mandatory free-text location field, hour/day rates, per diem yes/no).

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Good thinking, Ceci... Jan 28, 2004

Parrot wrote:

"Either" interpretation "or" translation. When you choose interpretation, you come up with other possibilities more tailored to the field (no word count, mandatory free-text location field, hour/day rates, per diem yes/no).

...says the interpreter half of me

Steffen

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sure... Jan 28, 2004

...sorry, should have worded that more clearly. I was thinking about two separate checklists, of course...

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter postings not specifying location

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »