Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Profile expertise categories replaced with new taxonomy (no more BSOs)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:58
SITE FOUNDER
Feb 23, 2004

The BSO category structure for specifying fields of expertise was unpopular and under-used. Therefore, it is being replaced by a new custom category structure, which is more reflective of the questions and jobs posted at ProZ.com. (The new categories have already been integrated into parts of KudoZ.)

Now, the new category structure has been put into the profile expertise area, replacing the previous BSO categories. A method was used to convert, roughly and to the extent possible, previously entered BSO categories into the new format. As a result, if you had specified BSO categories (as 'specialty', 'working' or 'interest'), you will now have different but (roughly) corresponding categories in your profile. They may or may not be reflective of your true expertise, so please check and make any corrections or updates that may be necessary:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=settings_disciplines

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:58
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
15? Feb 23, 2004

Henry,

Why only a max of 15? Some of these fields are too specific (the engineering subfields, for example) so have to tick most of them. Add that to the others you don't want to miss like marketing, advertising, contracts, finance, etc. You end up with at least 20.

Could we at least have 20?

Marcus

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
great! Feb 23, 2004

Thanks, Henry, that will help. However, I just updated my list, and the new specialty areas that I have entered don't show in my profile (the old BSOs are still there). Am I doing something wrong?

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
It is not designed for people with extensive experience Feb 23, 2004

I started translating professionally on April 3, 1982. That is almost 22 years ago. With that many years, it is not easy to avoid having worked in so many different categories. I would be lying if I were to report less than 26-30 of the 105 categories as "working" categories. In fact, even the list of specialties may look odd to someone new to the field. How can you specialize in so many fields? Isn't that an oxymoron? Well, it is a relative matter. Given the length of time, one can easily acquire a specialty-level experience in more topics than one could when one was a beginner. So an adjustment needs to be made.

I would also suggest including an explanatory key:

-Specialty: Have translated extensive material over a long time and acquired speacialty-level expertise.

-Working: Have translated a significant amont in this area.

-Interested: Have translated a minor amount, but possess special background knowledge and personal interest in the field that enables me to handle this topic with professional competence.

My last point is that when the entries are rejectd by the system, the system should not reset the choices, but should leave them the way they are so that the user can amend them rather than start from zero. It is a long list, and the process is very time consuming. I have gone throught it several times, and I still can't get it right. I want to continue to work on it, but I can't if it is reset every time.

Some categories may need change. For instance, we have Computers (general), Computers (Hardware), Computers (Software),
Computers (Systems, Networks), and IT (information technology). At least one of these needs to go.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
How many is the right amount? Feb 23, 2004

Marcus wrote:

Why only a max of 15? ...
Could we at least have 20?

OK. I would be interested in hearing what numbers other people think would be appropriate for 'specialty', 'working' and 'interest' categories (assuming Fuad's definitions.) I have temporarily raised it to 10 spec, 30 working, and unlimited interest.

Bear in mind that one way to approach the narrowing of tasks is to indicate not what you can do, but what you are *best* at. This approach is encouraged.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Cindy Feb 23, 2004

Cindy Chadd wrote:

...the new specialty areas that I have entered don't show in my profile (the old BSOs are still there). Am I doing something wrong?

Nope, nothing wrong. You were just ahead of me in my rollout. (A problem remains in your list. I'll address it tomorrow...)

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
I think 20 is enough Feb 23, 2004

I think 20 Working and 5 Specialty are more than enough.
Monika

Henry wrote:
I have temporarily raised it to 10 spec, 30 working, and unlimited interest.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Grouping specialty fields acc. to one's preferences Feb 23, 2004

Henry,

First of all, the new categories are a major step forward - congratulations!

But I have a problem: I currently don't seem to be able to group my profile specialties according to my preferences. As a consequence, this sequence looks a bit cluttered.

I have chosen the following fields (and they should appear in my profile exactly in this sequence in order to list related areas one after another):

Architecture
Construction / Civil Engineering
Business/Commerce (general)
Finance
Medical (general)
Cardiology
Medical: Pharmaceuticals
Marketing / Market Research
Mining & Minerals / Gems
Government / Politics

Could you arrange for a feature whereby specialty fields appear in the profile in exactly the sequence as I tick them in the list?

Also, "Cardiology" to be found under "C" should be changed to "Medical: Cardiology".

MTIA for your efforts,
Steffen

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Agree with Steffen Feb 23, 2004

I would like to be in charge of the order of my specialties, not the computer.

Also, strange enough, one of my specialties repeats itself twice (Social Science, Sociology, Ethics, etc.) What did I do wrong? I certanly did not intend to specify this one more than the others.

Other than that, I want to thank Henry and all of the members who have helped with their ideas on the particular issue of Categories and in general on how to improve our site.
Thanks again and have a pleasant Monday everyone.
Monika

[Edited at 2004-02-23 09:09]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
Member (2004)
English to Italian
20 specialties... Feb 23, 2004

Many translators would have become experts in many fields over the years... 10 specialties is too limited.

Giovanni

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Absolutely, Steffen Feb 23, 2004

Steffen Walter wrote:

Could you arrange for a feature whereby specialty fields appear in the profile in exactly the sequence as I tick them in the list?

Also, "Cardiology" to be found under "C" should be changed to "Medical: Cardiology".

I also agree with Fuad that even 30 'working' fields may be a problem if you've been in the business for a long time.

In fact, why bother filling out 'working' or 'interested' if these fields are being referred to as merely 'multiple'. Or am I missing something?

[Edited at 2004-02-23 10:18]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Years of experience Feb 23, 2004

I tend to agree with Fuad and Giovanni. Maybe "years of experience" may influence parameters?

Thanks for the improvement!

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Repetition in Expertise list Feb 23, 2004

I can choose only one field for Manufacturing in the specific fields http://www.proz.com/?sp=settings_disciplines, that's ok, but on my profile page Manufacturing is shown 2 times in the 'Specializes in:' list.
---------------------------------
It's looking fine now

[Edited at 2004-02-23 18:48]

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"years of experience": a caveat Feb 23, 2004

I support the idea of expanding the number of specialty and working areas, as I had to leave a few out with the 5 and 15 limit. I think 10 and 30, respectively, should be fine.

However, I don't think "years of experience" should be used in setting parameters here, IF the experience refers only to translation experience. I spent 20+ years working in different fields before becoming a freelance translator, so my expertise in certain areas doesn't come from my 6 years of translation experience.

Lars Helbig
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It says 'science' twice in my profile Feb 23, 2004

When the specialities were coverted from the old system I ended up with two entries " Science (general)." How do I change this?

Some of the categories are rather broad and others really specific, but I like this a lot better then previous system.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile expertise categories replaced with new taxonomy (no more BSOs)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs