Mobile menu

website translations - shouldn't they be returned with same tags?
Thread poster: a2ztranslate

a2ztranslate  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:56
English to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 29, 2004

ok, i may be in the wrong forum but i can't find one that is an exact fit. recently posted a small website translation job (2 screens, about 1800 words) and selected a translator that had an excellent resume listing websites that had been done.

delivered said web files in html; but when returned they were as word documents. now, my question is, when posting an html translation job, should the translator not return as html (i.e. set charset and language and translate within source code?) rather than send back as word and make us do a lot of (unneccesary) cutting and pasting? when queried translator responded that he did not know how to translate within source. But he had websites listed in resume and had bid on a specifically posted website translation?

Am I right to be a bit annoyed?

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
html=html and doc=doc Feb 29, 2004

Hi "a2ztranslate",

Did you agree on keeping the html or just translating the visible text?

I don't know how other translators work, but when I am given a job in whatever file format, I assume the client wants it in the same format UNLESS requested otherwise and think that's the general rule.

In the case of more complex formats (e.g., html, xml, pdf, etc.) I usually ask to make sure what they want.

Anyway, before agreeing on taking the job (the translator) and assigning the job (the client), both parties should make sure of all the details to avoid this kind of problems.

Regards,
Grace.

New Zealand
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i just assummed Feb 29, 2004

that whenever you send a file out in a certain format it should be returned in same format. i thought it was convention to translate within whatever format client requested unless specifically asked to do otherwise. kind of like me sending out a psd graphic and getting back a word document, don't you think?

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:56
Partial member
German to English
+ ...
Both at fault Feb 29, 2004

I would say that you are both at fault. You should have said specifically that you need the files back in HTML if that's important to you. But the translator should also have inquired whether you would accept a doc file (since it is pretty much customary to retain the format of the source document unless something else has been agreed on).

However, I do not think that stating "website translation" in a resume means "translation within html." I've translated websites where I received the web copy as xls spreadsheet files. Translating text for websites is not the same as translating html files, just like writing for the web is not the same as html coding — those are separate skills that have nothing to do with each other.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Agree with Graciela Feb 29, 2004

Graciela Carlyle wrote:
I don't know how other translators work, but when I am given a job in whatever file format, I assume the client wants it in the same format UNLESS requested otherwise and think that's the general rule.

But there's no sort of "convention". I've been asked to translate websites, I could see them at the URLs, but the files I received were in Word or Excel. Now, when I bid, I specify that I'm able to work with HTML.
In your purchase order it should be specified that you want the same format, it would avoid this kind of problems.

New Zealand
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i get your point Feb 29, 2004

and will be more specific next time, but considering that i requested meta and alt tag translation and the files were delivered as html, i still feel a bit aggrieved!

thanks for the feedback.

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
What to do next Mar 1, 2004

You can easily remedy the problem by requesting the translator's TM, importing it into Trados and translating your html files with Tag Editor. If the translator didn't use a CAT tool, you can create a TM by aligning his/her translation with the original version.

Best,
Esther

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The translator is much more at fault Mar 1, 2004

Norbert Gunther Kramer wrote:
...But the translator should also have inquired whether you would accept a doc file

I think that the translator is much more at fault in this: as a translator I would certainly assume that, if I don't get any special instruction, I should return the translated files in the same format that I received them (otherwise, can you imagine the mess: translators receiving files in MSWord format and returing them in some other format "just because it was not specified" that the files should be returned as MSWord files!).

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:56
Italian to English
A suggestion Mar 2, 2004

Wouldn't it be an idea to add a field to the job posting form asking outsourcers to specify the format in which the job will be delivered, and the format in which they would like it returned?

A menu with some of the more common delivery formats (Word, RTF, Excel, paper, fax, tablets of stone or whatever) could be offered.

After all, many translators quite rightly charge a premium for texts that arrive in time-consuming formats.

FWIW,

Giles

Christian Flury
Austria
Local time: 04:56
Latin to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Mar 2, 2004

To be frank, I was not sure whether to post this, and I would like to emphasize that I am not attempting to question your professionalism in any way. However, I feel the need to make sure you are aware of the (obvious) fact that everything said in this forum about what a translator is supposed to know or to do applies to professional translators. In case you work with non-professionals, there is no reason to be surprised if such things come to happen.

New Zealand
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
get your point Mar 2, 2004

but who defines who is a professional? you are about to open up a can of worms there! i have worked with many excellent translators who do this kind of work part time, are unqualified and would struggle to win a bid on proz because of that. but they are professional in every sense of the word.

i received a lot of tenders for this job; the one i chose had post grad qualifications in translation, member of his national body, lots of references and work completed to date. the reason i put it out here was that it was quite technical (legal documents/disclaimers) and the person i normally use was unavailable.

the only way to gauge if someone is a professional from a site like this is to give them a test translation and have it reviewed. but for a 1200 word job, i doubt if many people would do a test. would you do a 300 word test for 1200 words?

i guess the golden rule is buyer beware. i will have to be even more explicit in future postings. i really wanted to confirm in my own mind that my assumption (file format out should equal file format in) was not just me alone in my own little universe! thanks for all your comments

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

website translations - shouldn't they be returned with same tags?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs