Mobile menu

Distinction between European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese when posting jobs
Thread poster: Stefanie Sendelbach

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:32
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2004

Hi Proz.com team,

I noticed that job postings with Portuguese as target language are often a bit confusing (and time-wasting) for both the translators and the agencies. The reason is that mostly the job is posted without the specification Brazilian or European. If the Brazilian translators send their bid, they are often refused with the reason that the job needs to be done into European Portuguese. I can imagine that this also happens the other way around.

Will it make sense to split the two versions of Portuguese up into two separate languages? Like this the poster has to differentiate WHEN POSTING THE JOB and the translators know what´s up.

What do you think?

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Yes I agree and Mar 10, 2004

it is very simple to apply the same system used by CATs programs.
That means to use language (ISO 639-1) + country code( ISO 3166).
German fron Germany would be DE-DE and from Austria DE-AT.
Same with Brasil (PT-BR)

DE-AT>PT-BR

Better than the system used here in Proz

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Couldn't agree more Mar 10, 2004

sundari wrote:

Hi Proz.com team,

I noticed that job postings with Portuguese as target language are often a bit confusing (and time-wasting) for both the translators and the agencies. The reason is that mostly the job is posted without the specification Brazilian or European. If the Brazilian translators send their bid, they are often refused with the reason that the job needs to be done into European Portuguese. I can imagine that this also happens the other way around.

Will it make sense to split the two versions of Portuguese up into two separate languages? Like this the poster has to differentiate WHEN POSTING THE JOB and the translators know what´s up.

What do you think?

Stefanie

I've been quite surprised it's not there already. The way I get round the problem is to write an individual e-mail to all those living in Brazil, but it's time consuming and cuts out all of the Brazilians living elsewhere.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Noted - moving the thread... Mar 10, 2004

...to ProZ.com Job Systems.

Thanks for the suggestion. You may be aware that we're getting ready for an overhaul of the Jobs Area, so we're gathering all the suggestions in this forum.

Best regards, Ralf

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Any news here? Oct 11, 2005

I'm bumping this thread, because it's important for us as outsourcer too.

I'd also like a more comprehensive language list, but I'll post that as a separate Request For Feature.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Distinction between European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese when posting jobs

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs