Strange Job Posting: Medical Translators
Thread poster: Lucinda
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:52
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2004

I just received a strange job posting in my mail box. The title is: "Medical translators" but the rest of the ad refers to something different.

I have reproduced part of the ad:

Mostly for documents for immigration purposes (birth and marriage certificates, etc.).

I really am looking for professionals who translate word-for-word (yes! It can be done!).

The ad never mentions anything else about medical translations and I am also not sure about the word-for-word part. I wonder how the end product will look.

Is this an error or is someone trying to pull our leg? I would like your opinion.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Just skip it! Apr 4, 2004

You will see a lot of strange ads..if you are not comfortable with...just ignore it!

Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:22
English to Hindi
+ ...
Ask the sender... Apr 4, 2004

If it was not a spam then you may ask the sender. Some people are not very careful about the subject of the mail.

Regarding Word to Word translation, sometimes, we need the translation where nothing is added or ignored by the translator. For example, in case of Birth or Marriage certificates. These certificates are used for various legal purposes and need to be as accurate and as close to original as possible, even if those, from translators point of view, look weird.

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree, Lucinda! Apr 5, 2004

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

...professionals who translate word-for-word (yes! It can be done!).

It is really very strange. I have no medical background so I will ask a colleague of mine who does have, to contact this person.

As far as word-for-word translation is concerned, hmm...well... does anybody have statistics at hand? How often is a word-for-word translation feasible? One sentence out of 100?

Very very strange really....

A marketing strategy to get our attention/interest? Strange....

Au, very curious

[Edited at 2004-04-05 01:52]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Maybe a mistake Apr 5, 2004

I saw Lucinda's post before the job offer, so first I thought it wasn't from ProZ.
After I had a look at it I thought that "medical" was a mistake, as sometimes we see En-Sp instead of Sp-En.

As for the "word-for-word" request, maybe it has to fit questionnaires or forms.
If I was interested I wouldn't hesitate to ask, even if not qualified as "medical translator".

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs moderator Apr 5, 2004

Hi Lucinda,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Although jobs moderators generally do not check the precise contents of a job (as long as it is within the definition of a, as set out in the Job Posting FAQ), I feel your concern is justified, and have contacted the outsourcer.

You could have expedited that process by contacting a jobs moderator directly - there is a link in each job posting.

Best regards, Ralf

PS I have moved this thread to Job Systems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange Job Posting: Medical Translators

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs