Mobile menu

How can be jobposters checked?
Thread poster: Ruxi

German to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2004

I am knew here and I have many questions, I am sorry.
(I have just noticed the topics have to be approved by the moderator.It never happened to me before in other forums)
I am a little concerned about the jobposters, if they are reliable and serious.
I mean is there any possibility to check them in order to protect yourself?
That means, if they are serious people, if they pay in time a.s.o.
I have read here in the forum they have a lot of severe conditions when choosing a translator.What about the translators?
What is your experience?

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Apr 5, 2004 Job Systems.

Welcome to, Ruxi.
The Blue Board is a directory of clients for which members have worked, with associated review ratings and comments. members use the Blue Board both to rate their likelihood of working again with clients they have worked with at least once in the capacity of freelance provider, or to solicit such information from other members.

Check out the BB FAQ for more details.

There are other mailing lists outside, most of which are focused exclusively on payment practices. Enter "payment practice" in the Search window on the left and search the forums for related topics.

HTH, Ralf

Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
French to Spanish
+ ...
Blue Board Apr 6, 2004

Ask as much as you want, this is a community.

The Blue Board is a really useful tool. It rates not only the payment practices, but the rates, the seriousness of the agency, the attitude of Project Managers.. Sometimes, specific abuse is denounced here on forums ( and I think abusive outsourcers are banned from posting any more jobs.

I am also more or less new here (I registered in December 2001, but became an active member in October 2003) and only two agencies contacted me through Proz. I checked them on the BB, both had good marks and everyting has been fine with them up to now. Of course, you will have to negotiate rates, deadlines- that goes with th job. The BB just ensures that you're dealing with honest people.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Welcome to ProZ, Ruxi Apr 6, 2004

I think that you need to do as much checking as you can (the BB is an excellent source). Furthermore, when offering a job, most reputable agencies will immediately send you a Purchase Order with all the particulars for that job: the delivery date, number of words, price per word, total price based on that number of words, whether they go by the source or target translation for the word count, payment terms, things that you need to focus on, delivery format, etc., etc.

I do not start a job without having that.

Or you may send them a contract if they do not have a PO system and have them send the original back to you signed.

This may not be feasible for small jobs - but then with a small job, the loss is not so big if they do not pay. Still, you want to protect yourself no matter how large or small the job is, so that you do not lose time and money.

I hope that this helps a bit. Happy translating!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can be jobposters checked?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs