https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/23066-question_about_deadline_times_on_posted_jobs.html

question about deadline times on posted jobs
Thread poster: eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
United States
Local time: 04:54
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2004

When someone posts a job saying they need it done by, say, 5:30 p.m., I assume that means 5:30 p.m. local time wherever they are? Why doesn't anyone specify the time zone they are referring to?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:54
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jul 20, 2004

...to ProZ.com Job Systems.

When someone posts a job saying they need it done by, say, 5:30 p.m., I assume that means 5:30 p.m. local time wherever they are?

Mostly yes.

Why doesn't anyone specify the time zone they are referring to?

Presumably because the Job Posting Form doesn't cater for that. Already noted in the big "wish list" for improvements...

Best regards, Ralf

Giacomo Camaiora (X)
Giacomo Camaiora (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
localized deadline Jul 20, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

In the meantime, you can use this site:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Kerena raised a good question; in fact the information now available from the Job Postings can mix up the ideas of the bidders.

This matter has already been dealt with and answered by Ralf; and, meantime, he suggested the usage of the above web site.

Now, let's underline the benefit of having a feature that allows each bidder to see a "localized deadline", applicable to its own specific geographical area.

Just one idea.
Giacomo

[Edited at 2004-07-20 15:41]

Sol
Sol  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great idea! Jul 21, 2004

Giacomo Camaiora wrote:
Now, let's underline the benefit of having a feature that allows each bidder to see a "localized deadline", applicable to its own specific geographical area.

Wow, what a great idea! I think it would be wonderful for us to see deadlines in our own time zone. Maybe they could even put a little "count-down timer" that will tell us "If you take this job, you have so many days, so many hours and so many minutes to e-mail it back". I mean, just in case we lose track of time

eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
countdown Jul 21, 2004

I like the countdown idea very much! It would be an easy feature to program, and it would help us to very quickly get an idea if the job is feasible or not.

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
A question Jul 21, 2004

When I found this thread I actually thought it is about another problem I have seen.
Now I see it is about another matter, but I wish to clear up here another related question:

The deadline in the job offers is related to the bids or to the job itsself?
I mean when they write a deadline there, do they mean till that day and hour they receive the bids, or the translation has to be finished and submitted to that deadline?
Many times it is not clear, most of all when
... See more
When I found this thread I actually thought it is about another problem I have seen.
Now I see it is about another matter, but I wish to clear up here another related question:

I mean when they write a deadline there, do they mean till that day and hour they receive the bids, or the translation has to be finished and submitted to that deadline?
Many times it is not clear, most of all when the time is very short.

Maybe a small specification would help: e.g bid deadline.

Thank you
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Delivery deadline Jul 21, 2004

Hi Ruxi,

In the current Job Posting Form, this is defined as the delivery deadline, i.e. the time when the job needs to be finished and/or delivered. This is also shown on job postings, and I believe it's quite clear.

Nevertheless, we have suggested to ProZ.com to include two deadlines when programming a new Job Posting Form: a quoting deadline (=the time by which quotes must be entered or submitted) and the delivery/completion deadline.

Best regards,
Ralf

eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bid deadline Jul 22, 2004

I think that is a great idea too. If ProZ implements all these ideas, these will be some major service improvements for everyone!

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Ruxi,

In the current Job Posting Form, this is defined as the delivery deadline, i.e. the time when the job needs to be finished and/or delivered. This is also shown on job postings, and I believe it's quite clear.

Nevertheless, we have suggested to ProZ.com to include two deadlines when programming a new Job Posting Form: a quoting deadline (=the time by which quotes must be entered or submitted) and the delivery/completion deadline.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question about deadline times on posted jobs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »