https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/23318-disappointed_for_a_job_offer.html

disappointed for a job offer
Thread poster: Valentina Cafiero
Valentina Cafiero
Valentina Cafiero  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:34
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Jul 27, 2004

Hi,

I would like to explain what happened to me with a job offer on proz, just to understand what was wrong.
I answered to a job proposed on proz last Friday with precise indications about numbers of words and deadline. At the end of the day I received an e-mail via proz, with Congratulations! beacause I was chosen for the job.
In a hour I contacted the outsoucer and from then I dind't receive any replies from them, even if tried to enquire to understand. I suppose they
... See more
Hi,

I would like to explain what happened to me with a job offer on proz, just to understand what was wrong.
I answered to a job proposed on proz last Friday with precise indications about numbers of words and deadline. At the end of the day I received an e-mail via proz, with Congratulations! beacause I was chosen for the job.
In a hour I contacted the outsoucer and from then I dind't receive any replies from them, even if tried to enquire to understand. I suppose they chose someone else, but is it possibile to change idea after sending the congratulations email?
Looking forward to hearing to you opinions.

Valentina
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
..it happened to me too...ages ago Jul 27, 2004

Hi Valentina,
I know how frustating it is because it happened to me several months ago. It was very frustating because it was some kind of old text that I was going to translate which really interested me a lot. Anyway I received the 'congratulations' e-mail, e-mailed the agency and never got a response back.
It'd be nice if they could say 'sorry but we pressed the wrong button', I'd understand but ....
Take care.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
also from a mass mailing Jul 27, 2004

I shall stick to my policy of instantly deleting all cattle calls that come via Proz mailings. Same difference as bidding on them, it would seem.

I have removed the rest of my entry out of fairness to the agency who contacted me to explain why no work had been sent.There was a lower workload than expected and they admit to not communicating enough with translators. However it does remain a very unpleasant experience.

"quote" : ... but I am think the ProZ.com is a seri
... See more
I shall stick to my policy of instantly deleting all cattle calls that come via Proz mailings. Same difference as bidding on them, it would seem.

I have removed the rest of my entry out of fairness to the agency who contacted me to explain why no work had been sent.There was a lower workload than expected and they admit to not communicating enough with translators. However it does remain a very unpleasant experience.

"quote" : ... but I am think the ProZ.com is a serious web-site and reliable, so when I read a job offer I trust it and this kind of behavior above all in your case should be punished".
First of all this has nothing to do with Proz.com. It is no reflection on them as an organization at all. As for trust/mistrust, everything on the www has be viewed with caution. And there is no basis here for any 'punishment'. No illegal act was committed and I didn't turn down other work, so it had no financial effects. Just a job offer and then job promise that never materialized.
[Edited at 2004-07-27 20:37]

[Edited at 2004-07-27 23:38]

[Edited at 2004-07-29 10:28]
Collapse

Valentina Cafiero
Valentina Cafiero  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Jul 28, 2004

I shall stick to my policy of instantly deleting all cattle calls that come via ProZ.com mailings. Same difference as bidding on them, it would seem.

Dear writeway,

you are right, but I am think the proz is a serious web-site and reliable, so when I read a job offer I trust it and this kind of behavior above all in your case should be punished.

Good luck,

Valentina

Federica D'Alessio
Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
The same happened to me... with the same agency I guess Jul 28, 2004

Hi Valentina, Ciao Valentina,

the same thing happened to me a few days ago, but in my case the worst was that JUST THAT BID was the first bid I ever had in my life via Proz.com, so I was so enthusiastic... and now that I'm like ok, let's wait a few days, maybe they will call back, what a disappointing feeling to understand from your quote that probably It was the same agency (you and me have the same pairs so...) and probably, i guess, they just want to refresh or enrich their datab
... See more
Hi Valentina, Ciao Valentina,

the same thing happened to me a few days ago, but in my case the worst was that JUST THAT BID was the first bid I ever had in my life via Proz.com, so I was so enthusiastic... and now that I'm like ok, let's wait a few days, maybe they will call back, what a disappointing feeling to understand from your quote that probably It was the same agency (you and me have the same pairs so...) and probably, i guess, they just want to refresh or enrich their database or things like this... but I really don't know. As I am new of this community, I also asked to the moderators If what happened was normal, but they haven't answered to me yet.
Good luck anyway...
to all of us!
Federica
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Technical problem on their side... Jul 28, 2004

Hi,

I don't know which job you are referring to, but I have been in touch with an agency after a colleague contacted me for a similar problem. In this case, when the agency closed the job, there was a sort of "technical" problem on their side, so that the congratulations! email was sent by mistake to several bidders. They have contacted some bidders, but didn't manage to contact all and are very sorry for the inconvinience.

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

disappointed for a job offer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »