Mobile menu

Can minimum rate restriction be removed from bidding form?
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2004

Hi all,
I don't know about you, but occasionally I do like to bid on a job for which the price being offered is officially less than my "minimum" stated rate.

When I try to do that, the system forces me to enter a price that is within my "stated rates". This means I have to enter a note, and hope that the outsourcer takes the time to read it, instead of just looking at the "price" the system has forced me to enter and throwing my application away!

Can this protective feature (I suppose it's intended to be protective?) be overridden or eliminated, please? I am happy to take responsibility for the jobs I choose to bid on. I don't need to have a filter to prevent me from bidding on a lower-priced job that I may have other, non-financial reasons to bid on.

Thanks!
Terry

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPRen  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I agree Sep 10, 2004

I agree with Terry. I've had the same problem, and I don't really see the utility of the feature.

Paula

(Hi Terry)

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
Just reduce your rates suitably Sep 10, 2004

Instead of asking for a change in the setup, which may or may not take place, why don't you do something, which you can? Just reduce the rates to your new desired level and make the rates generally invisible. It cannot be simpler.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Added in light of original poster's remarks:
And you can disable the email notification of jobs. You can just browse the jobs at your leisure. That's what I do. In that way you will be deciding at all points as to what you want to bid for.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-09-10 17:13]

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is one solution, certainly Sep 10, 2004

That sounds like a useful workaround. I'll certainly keep it in mind. Thanks!

The thing is, though, that I'd rather leave my rates as they are. I don't want to work for less than my stated minimum rate as a general thing, but there are individual cases where I might feel it's worthwhile to do so, either from a marketing or "connections" perspective, because I believe the job is in a good cause (even if it's not purely non-profit), or just because the job sounds like fun and I don't have much to do at the moment! That's why I was hoping this feature might be reconsidered. Also, I don't want to receive all the e-mails for two-cent-per-word jobs, just be able to bid on them when I want to.

xxxBrandis
Local time: 05:05
English to German
+ ...
see this sample offer Sep 11, 2004

Terry L. Thatcher, Ph.D. wrote:

Hi all,
I don't know about you, but occasionally I do like to bid on a job for which the price being offered is officially less than my "minimum" stated rate.

When I try to do that, the system forces me to enter a price that is within my "stated rates". This means I have to enter a note, and hope that the outsourcer takes the time to read it, instead of just looking at the "price" the system has forced me to enter and throwing my application away!

Can this protective feature (I suppose it's intended to be protective?) be overridden or eliminated, please? I am happy to take responsibility for the jobs I choose to bid on. I don't need to have a filter to prevent me from bidding on a lower-priced job that I may have other, non-financial reasons to bid on.

Thanks!
Terry
Hello all, following is a an offer I had studied lately. I didn´t find it bad, considering a potential translation project and hence boosting outsourcers total turnover. I feel going down with the prices is not a good solution, whereas highset pricing is equally bad. So here I found the argument very amicable.
"Mr/Mrs. xxxxxxx,

In the attach please find the sample translation. Currently I am busy with xxx project till the weekend, after that only I can take up yours. I quote €0.xx per source word. DTP €xx,- /Hrs / averaging x-x pages. Webprojection ( shall finish a couple of pages embedded in Html, either your template or mine) €xxx,- per page. Give you / your customer a link or a presentation on my website at yearly at xx% total sales of your product range through my site, ie., all my customers would be seeing it, which is internally revenue for you (r) customer. Passive ereselling model.
Regards
xxxxxxx"
Greets
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can minimum rate restriction be removed from bidding form?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs