Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Large rush job due tomorrow (title had been "for a good hearty laugh")
Thread poster: ntext
ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Partial member
German to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2004

... check out this job posting:

http://www.proz.com/job/63609

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:49
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yeah, Oct 4, 2004

about 160 pages for tomorrow... And someone has even placed a bid:)

Uldis

MLeiria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:49
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe the post isn't complete... Oct 4, 2004

They might have forgot to say you should do this with one hand tied behind your back

Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
A good machine translation will do the job in even less time Oct 4, 2004

By now, 3 people have submitted a quote. Sometimes I really would love to know who is really that crazy to even think it is possible to do a job like that in such a short time.

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
German to English
+ ...
That's a good one!!! Oct 4, 2004

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Uldis

Not just one... three so far; eventually (at least by tomorrow)someone will need to be picked. I don't even think it is even possible (except for a chosen few, see: http://www.proz.com/topic/24752 ).

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Don't give up in despair... Oct 4, 2004

those 3 bids could very well be people politely explaining them the basics of translation, or just representatives for teams of translators who can actually manage the deadline and will charge accordingly

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:49
SITE FOUNDER
Members have quoted for parts of the job... Oct 4, 2004

... at rush rates. (This is not necessarily a laughing matter, so I have moved this thread to "ProZ.com job systems" and retitled it.)

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Tough Oct 4, 2004

Rossana Triaca wrote:

... teams of translators who can actually manage the deadline and will charge ...

Henry wrote:

... at rush rates.

Now that sounds a little more realistic (but still tough). What kind of rates are we looking at for a job like that?

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
30% + 30% on base price Oct 4, 2004

Derek Gill wrote:

Rossana Triaca wrote:

... teams of translators who can actually manage the deadline and will charge ...

Henry wrote:

... at rush rates.

Now that sounds a little more realistic (but still tough). What kind of rates are we looking at for a job like that?
That is the general calculation, overnight and rush job.
Rgds,
Brandis

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Money? Who's bothered about money here? Oct 4, 2004

Derek Gill wrote:

Min. 100% surcharge. Basically, it's blank cheque time, Derek, even with today's "let's subsidise the customer" rates. What I want to know, though, is a) who told the end-customer this could be done in the first place; and b) which idiot at the end-customer suddenly decided they needed 40,000 words translated in a day?

Back in the glory days of the Neuer Markt, there were some companies that suddenly decided to come to market, and you'd get maybe four days to translate a 250+ print page offering prospectus. They'd be rewriting the German while you were translating and they'd deliver all the figures five minutes before submission to the stock exchange. Those were the jobs where they didn't even bother to ask for a quote, you just sent in your bill at the end. Halcyon days, never to return...

Nowadays, though, you still get asked to do these massive rush jobs. You give them a quote, and they come back a day later and say, how much would it cost for delivery next week, it isn't so urgent after all....

Robin

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
What's realistic and what's not? Oct 4, 2004

Derek Gill wrote:

Another rush one: http://www.proz.com/job/63616
Posted at 6pm, delivery by next morning, at....0,03 per word.
And they want not juts one, but FIVE translators (each one to do some 30 pages during this night).
Tough one...

Magda

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:49
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
It seems it's just a mistake (October instead of November) Oct 4, 2004

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Uldis

Please read this job offer more carefully.

Requirements:
Delivery deadline: 12:00pm Nov 5, 2004

I believe the first deadline (5 Oct 2004) mentioned by the poster is just an unhappy mistake.

Regards,
Vladimir

Mandy Williams  Identity Verified
German to English
Seems November date is the mistake Oct 4, 2004

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

[
Please read this job offer more carefully.

Requirements:
Delivery deadline: 12:00pm Nov 5, 2004

I believe the first deadline (5 Oct 2004) mentioned by the poster is just an unhappy mistake.

Regards,
Vladimir

I suspect the mistake is the November date. The poster clearly says \"tomorrow\"! But I\'m glad I\'m not the only one who thought it was funny. Even if they split it up, they would have to use a LOT of translators and we all know what that means in terms of quality...
MW

Cheverman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
English to Turkish
+ ...
wow Oct 4, 2004

I would really like to see the result...

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
work for a day for your vacation! Oct 5, 2004

RobinB wrote:
Min. 100% surcharge.

And that's just exactly what I did, Robin. I asked for about 6K words yesterday afternoon (EST, -5GMT). Initially I had about 20 hours to do my share.

My De>En TM in Deja vu has close to a 100K entries. About 60% of the terms/phrases in this given project are already in my TM so the actual typing that I did is much less than the 5,400 words that I was allotted. Plus these were simple Excel files with repetitive phrases, terms (which, again, accelerates DV processing because of the 'pretranslate' feature). Not too complex a subject: civil engineering, excavation, compliance, etc.

I could vouch only for the quality of my files. It's TransPerf's responsibility to coordinate all the other translations.

I worked for about 7 hours, less than my normal daily working hours, and earning, in the process, enough to pay for my New Year vacation in Brazil plus some change left for lots o' capirinhas. Who's laughing now?

Marcus

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large rush job due tomorrow (title had been "for a good hearty laugh")

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs