Profile - Experience
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2005

Please re-post if this is the wrong forum.

When editing our profile, it asks us how much "full-time" experience we have as a translator. However, when our profile is displayed it does not say full-time.

I have been working 20 hours a week since August as a translator. I also did some other full-time work last summer. I will probably work extra hours this summer. During the next academic year, I have decided to take a Master's and I shall continue working 20 hours per we
... See more
Please re-post if this is the wrong forum.

When editing our profile, it asks us how much "full-time" experience we have as a translator. However, when our profile is displayed it does not say full-time.

I have been working 20 hours a week since August as a translator. I also did some other full-time work last summer. I will probably work extra hours this summer. During the next academic year, I have decided to take a Master's and I shall continue working 20 hours per week as a translator for my university's website.

However, by next July, if I follow the strict wording on the profile editing, I will still have to put "0 years" experience. Is this fair? What if I then decide to get another job to give me a guaranteed income while I get myself established as a Freelance? Will I still then have to put a "0"?

I know the problem is a difficult one. You could add a "part-time" category, but then people may interpret that to include one short translation per month. I just feel that when I'm working 20-hours per week translating (and only translating, not trying to get clients, filling in tax forms etc.), it does not reflect my real situation to see I have 0 years experience.
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
take a look at this topic Jul 11, 2005

Hi Timothy, take a look at this topic http://www.proz.com/post/217830#217830 it might give you an idea.
Ciao DZ

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Does the number increase automatically? Jul 11, 2005

This is slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if the number increases automatically in the beginning of a new year, or does it have to be changed manually every time?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Allow for flexibility Jul 12, 2005

It isn't very realistic to imagine that full-time freelancing will imply 40 hours a week translating (in fact, fatigue factors applied for accuracy's sake, an 8-hour working day can boil down to 6 optimal working hours). In-house, for instance, you may have more work and more hectic hours than in your own business.

Some associations will also measure this experience by volume (turnover based on invoicing). Maybe someone can give you some of their ball-park figures. I recall t
... See more
It isn't very realistic to imagine that full-time freelancing will imply 40 hours a week translating (in fact, fatigue factors applied for accuracy's sake, an 8-hour working day can boil down to 6 optimal working hours). In-house, for instance, you may have more work and more hectic hours than in your own business.

Some associations will also measure this experience by volume (turnover based on invoicing). Maybe someone can give you some of their ball-park figures. I recall that a recent poll showed majority of us were between 40,000 and 60,000 words a month. Hope it helps.
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, according to some of the things I've read on this page and on the other link I was given... Jul 12, 2005

I have been working "full-time" since last July, as that has been my only source of income since then and it's what I've been living off. And, for example, if someone in France were doing his standard 35-hour week, after deducting time spent trying to obtain clients, filling in tax forms etc., he wouldn't have spent that much more time than me on the translation job itself.

Conclusion: I think it would be far from being dishonest to count the summer months of last year as full month
... See more
I have been working "full-time" since last July, as that has been my only source of income since then and it's what I've been living off. And, for example, if someone in France were doing his standard 35-hour week, after deducting time spent trying to obtain clients, filling in tax forms etc., he wouldn't have spent that much more time than me on the translation job itself.

Conclusion: I think it would be far from being dishonest to count the summer months of last year as full months and the rest of the time as half months. That still doesn't quite bring me to the one year, but I'm not far away.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:49
Dutch to English
+ ...
Too conscientious? Jul 12, 2005

Forgive me for asking, Timothy, but are you being too conscientious? From your description I would think that you have every right to say that you have been translating for a year. Full-time means different things in different professions. For a translator, 3-5 hours a day 5 days a week plus time spent on administration, staying up to date in your field(s), taking courses, etc. may well amount to a full-time job. I think it is a matter of being honest with yourself, not over-rating but also not ... See more
Forgive me for asking, Timothy, but are you being too conscientious? From your description I would think that you have every right to say that you have been translating for a year. Full-time means different things in different professions. For a translator, 3-5 hours a day 5 days a week plus time spent on administration, staying up to date in your field(s), taking courses, etc. may well amount to a full-time job. I think it is a matter of being honest with yourself, not over-rating but also not under-rating what you do.

By the way, when I edit my profile, there is no question about full-time or part-time, just how many years. I have always simply filled in the number of years I have been translating. In my language combination it is virtually impossible to earn a living off translation alone. I worked sometimes full-time but more often part-time. But I think that I always did enough work (not to mention participating on the proZ website for up to an hour a day) to justify counting every year as a full year.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Put it this way Jul 13, 2005

Would Social Security be that stringent with you?

They hit me for full-time since the first day. I still had a job then. Didn't even ask me if I was making/would make the minimum wage out of translation. And they didn't inform me of any grounds to appeal for reimbursement in the event I didn't come up to minimum wage as a second income.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi Hynek, Jul 15, 2005

A bit late though...

Hynek Palatin wrote:

This is slightly off-topic, but I was wondering if the number increases automatically in the beginning of a new year, or does it have to be changed manually every time?

... but to answer your question, no, it doesn't update automatically, you should change it yourself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile - Experience

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »