Is it easy for non-payer users of ProZ.com to get jobs?
Thread poster: karinakardos (X)
karinakardos (X)
karinakardos (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

I just wanted to know if it's easy for non-payer users of proz to get a job through this website?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-31 15:05]

Anna Lanave
Anna Lanave  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:20
French to Italian
+ ...
No I don't Oct 29, 2005

in almost three years of non-payer memebership I got only one assignment.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think so Oct 29, 2005

When an agency or fellow translator posts a job at ProZ, they have the option to choose to restrict the job to Platinum (paying) members for a number of hours before non-paying members are notified. I believe by the time the restriction expires and notifications are sent to non-paying members, many of the jobs have already been assigned.

[Edited at 2005-10-29 18:15]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:20
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Right Oct 29, 2005

I can say lately about 80 or 90 % of job postings are restricted for Platinum members for 12 hours from the moment of job posting . (Please note- to restrict or not is up to the outsourcer, ProZ provides an option, but doesn't impose it.) However, overwhelming majority of job posters choose to check this option- (my reasoning- of course, your being Platinium doesn't guarantee anything, but at least job posters feel they are dealing with a professionals, who have felt it worth while to invest in ... See more
I can say lately about 80 or 90 % of job postings are restricted for Platinum members for 12 hours from the moment of job posting . (Please note- to restrict or not is up to the outsourcer, ProZ provides an option, but doesn't impose it.) However, overwhelming majority of job posters choose to check this option- (my reasoning- of course, your being Platinium doesn't guarantee anything, but at least job posters feel they are dealing with a professionals, who have felt it worth while to invest in their business).

BTW, ProZ members' surveys show that platinium members get jobs via Proz 4 times more often than non-platinium members.

Uldis
ProZ jobs/BB moderator

Nora Diaz wrote:

When an agency or fellow translator posts a job at ProZ, they have the option to choose to restrict the job to Platinum (paying) members for a number of hours before non-paying members are notified. I believe by the time the restriction expires and notifications are sent to non-paying members, many of the jobs have already been assigned.

[Edited at 2005-10-29 18:15]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Timing is everything Oct 29, 2005

Uldis,

Are there any statistics about how soon after posting are most jobs closed/assigned?

-Nora

karinakardos (X)
karinakardos (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much? Oct 29, 2005

How much would I have to pay to become a Platinum member?

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
And to not to mislead you Oct 29, 2005

Going Platinium will increase your visibility, you will get access to all jobs as they are posted, major search engine crawlers will index your ProZ profile, yes, that's a lot, but- to set up that profile so it looks professional is up to you- to provide right keywords, downloadable attractive CV, references, accreditations (that is a general advise, I haven't analyzed your profile), as well as even if you are Platinium, on translator search Platinium members are shown first- but by their KudoZ ... See more
Going Platinium will increase your visibility, you will get access to all jobs as they are posted, major search engine crawlers will index your ProZ profile, yes, that's a lot, but- to set up that profile so it looks professional is up to you- to provide right keywords, downloadable attractive CV, references, accreditations (that is a general advise, I haven't analyzed your profile), as well as even if you are Platinium, on translator search Platinium members are shown first- but by their KudoZ points ranking. Also- your own Homepage will not hurt- ProZ provides a place for the link to that- left lower corner of your profile.

Uldis
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hmmmm... Oct 29, 2005

I'm afraid such details only Staff (or Henry himself) knows, and then if they have ever made such calculations. Anyway, that's an interesting question.

Surely in my language pairs (Baltic languages) no job ever lives these 12 hours to become available to non-platiniums.

Uldis

Nora Diaz wrote:

Uldis,

Are there any statistics about how soon after posting are most jobs closed/assigned?

-Nora

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Probably true for most pairs Oct 29, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Surely in my language pairs (Baltic languages) no job ever lives these 12 hours to become available to non-platiniums.

Uldis

Nora Diaz wrote:

Uldis,

-Nora

Agencies need to assign jobs quickly.
I got a few jobs before going Plat after about 6 months of being a non-payer.
I didn't go Plat to have access to more job offers. I did it mainly to have complete access to the BB and to support Proz.com. Proz.com has really changed the market (for the better).

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the Platinum page Oct 29, 2005

Hi Karina,
How much would I have to pay to become a Platinum member?

Check the Platinum page for details.

Best regards,
Ralf

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 07:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
The answer would be Yes and No. Oct 30, 2005

I am a non-paying member.

Of course there are jobs which when I got the notification, guess what, they had been assigned already to somebody else. That happens for sure. In such cases, the answer to your question is YES.

However, I still manage to get jobs now and then from new clients as well old ones. Once you have the business relationship in place, they just keep coming. A good transltions in the end is a much better CV. Like the old saying:"action is always more c
... See more
I am a non-paying member.

Of course there are jobs which when I got the notification, guess what, they had been assigned already to somebody else. That happens for sure. In such cases, the answer to your question is YES.

However, I still manage to get jobs now and then from new clients as well old ones. Once you have the business relationship in place, they just keep coming. A good transltions in the end is a much better CV. Like the old saying:"action is always more convincing than empty words". Here you got a NO as an answer for your question.

Plat or not, personally I think it's just a stepping stone which will only get you close, but not THERE. Nonetheless it helps for sure.
Collapse

Joanna Krahelska
Joanna Krahelska
Polish to English
+ ...
depends Oct 30, 2005

come on, it's not this bad
I might go Platinum one day (who knows) but even as a non-paying member I get 1-2 jobs a month via proz.com (and then, of course, the outsourcers keep coming back with new jobs)
goes to show a lot depends on factors other than payment...
the best, jk

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
A very wise reply Oct 30, 2005

Angus WU wrote:
...Of course there are jobs which when I got the notification, guess what, they had been assigned already to somebody else. That happens for sure....
..Once you have the business relationship in place, they just keep coming. A good transltions in the end is a much better CV. Like the old saying:"action is always more convincing than empty words"....Plat or not, personally I think it's just a stepping stone which will only get you close, but not THERE. Nonetheless it helps for sure.

Wise and meditated answer. Quite true also. I agree.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:20
SITE FOUNDER
Please consider going platinum, Joanna. Oct 31, 2005

Joanna Krahelska wrote:

come on, it's not this bad
I might go Platinum one day (who knows) but even as a non-paying member I get 1-2 jobs a month via proz.com (and then, of course, the outsourcers keep coming back with new jobs)
goes to show a lot depends on factors other than payment...
the best, jk

Thanks for posting, Joanna.

You are an exception to the rule. In a survey run earlier this year, platinum members reported meeting clients at four times the rate as non-platinum site users--and the disparity is growing.

In any case, Joanna, you should know that platinum members are subsidizing the creation, and your use, of the site, and this situation will not last forever. Please consider investing in your business and our shared workplace by becoming a paying member. Most members have not regretted it.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:20
SITE FOUNDER
By design, no Oct 31, 2005

karinakardoso wrote:

I just wanted to know if it's easy for non-payer users of proz to get a job through this website?

Certainly the site has been designed in such a way that opportunities to meet clients go primarily to paying members.

Bear in mind that more clients use the directory than job postings, and that jobs resulting from directory searches tend to be desirable. (Platinum members come up first in directory searches.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it easy for non-payer users of ProZ.com to get jobs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »