Suggest writing comments be mandatory in the Blue Board
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:46
Member (2004)
English to French
Nov 18, 2005

Hi,
I have noticed that some translators, whatever grade they give to an agency, write only periods as comments. I would be interested in knowing what went well and what went bad. I have to write to these translators sometimes to get their opinion, because the comments are clearly insufficient to decide if I should work for the agency in question. The problem is, sometimes the translator doesn't bother to answer. So I think writing comments should be mandatory.

My two cents,
Nina

Direct link Reply with quote

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:46
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Define the scope of responsibility Nov 18, 2005

If a member posts an entry on the Blue Board, he or she is not obligated to answer to you about their post. Sure, it's a nice thing to do. In fact I was helped once by a fellow translator who replied to my inquiry about a particular outsourcer. Were I to force him to do so, he probably wouldn't be so helpful. I don't think your suggestion holds water.

Also, the more you force people to do things, the less motivation they will have for doing them. I think the value of a BB entry is in the grade, not in the comments. I may be the minority here though.

Edit: typo, second paragraph.

[Edited at 2005-11-19 00:54]

[Edited at 2005-11-21 13:22]

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
another proposal Nov 18, 2005

What Nina is suggesting looks fair, I believe.
However, I don`t think it can be "mandatory". My "2 cents": the poster can be encouraged to do so and reminded of the convenience for colleagues and outsources to have access and read these comments.

Walter

[Edited at 2005-11-18 16:42]

Javier Herrera
Spanish
... Nov 18, 2005

It would be a good idea. However, I think people should be exempt from entering a comment if the LWA is 4 or 5. After all, others will know you're happy with the outsourcer. Now, if there's a negative mark, I do think it should be compulsory. I would like to know why somebody is unhappy with an outsourcer, the reasons may not be so serious.
The same thing happened with kudoz. If I'm not mistaken, you could enter a disagree without a comment. Not any more. You can still enter "blank agrees", though.
J.

Javier Herrera
Spanish
... Nov 18, 2005

This does happen:
LWA: 3
Comment: dot dot dot
Reply: [ghastly silence]

What information do you get from that? What's the point?

Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly my point Nov 18, 2005

Javier Herrera wrote:

This does happen:
LWA: 3
Comment: dot dot dot
Reply: [ghastly silence]

What information do you get from that? What's the point?

If you give someone a 1 or if you disagree with an answer, at least give reasons. 4 or 5 should not necessarily be accompanied with comments, but I'd like to know the reasons for low grades.

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:46
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Nov 18, 2005

Once I gave 1 to an agency and wrote a comment. The result was that I received a very nasty letter from the agency's owner, full of threats. Of course the letter contained a lot of lies but as you know everything in life can be twisted and distorted.
I was very upset. I consulted a colleague who said: Next time, just give 2 and don't write any comment.
That's what I did...

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact a Jobs moderator Nov 18, 2005

Hi Laura,
Once I gave 1 to an agency and wrote a comment. The result was that I received a very nasty letter from the agency's owner, full of threats. Of course the letter contained a lot of lies but as you know everything in life can be twisted and distorted.

Should this happen again - and I don't hope it will - please contact a Jobs moderator. We take such threats very seriously, and act accordingly.

Best regards,
Ralf

John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to English
mandatory is a big word Nov 18, 2005

Walter Landesman wrote:

the poster can be encouraged to do so and reminded of the convenience for colleagues and outsources to have access and read these comments.

Walter

[Edited at 2005-11-18 16:42]

I agree with Walter, strongly encouraged would be much better.

[Edited at 2005-11-18 21:43]

Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe you're right Nov 18, 2005

But we could add "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" next to strongly encouraged!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Added to wish list for the next Jobs/BB release Nov 19, 2005

Hi Nina and all,
Thanks for the suggestions; I have added this to the 'wish list' for the next Jobs/BB release.

Note that I moved the topic to the Jobs systems forum.

Best regards,
Ralf

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I will never grade an agency again if I have to write a comment Nov 19, 2005

It is a very serious legal offence to force someone to write a comment about an agency they are not happy with.

Naturally, it is nice to write a compliment if you have awarded a 4 or 5 and are very happy with the agency.

However, if, after experiencing highly unprofessional behaviour on the part of the agency, you have to grade a 1 or a 2, any comments made in addition to the grade could be a basis for legal action. Therefore, it has to be up to the grader whether they choose to take such a risk or not.

Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It depends of what you say Nov 19, 2005

For example, you could be sued if you said something like: They are stupid or jerks.
But if you say something objective as: Did not pay according to agreement, or did not pay at all, an agency cannot sue if they know that what you're saying is true. I've had my share of problems with non payers and reported it on the BB. They never came against me.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It's not as simple as that Nov 19, 2005

Supposing it is not/not only non-payment that is the problem, but also unprofessional behaviour on the part of the agency, it is very difficult to say anything that is not risky. Even to use the term "unprofessional behaviour" is risky (despite the fact that it is true) - yet it may be the "correct alternative", just to cite an example, to stating that the person at the agency yelled down the phone at you in a quite shocking manner, using extremely unprofessional terminology. That is just one example.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Right that Nov 19, 2005

BB *IS NOT* a payment practices list, but *LIKELIHOOD OF WORKING WITH THE SAID OUTSOURCER AGAIN* list. I myself have a number of outsourcers I would never work for again, and not for payment, but attitude issues.

What would be your LWA towards outsourcer, who's PM would forward you their internal correspondence e-mail, on the top high-pressure plea to take their job, but scrolling down you find undeleted command from the owner: "Then what the f#&k, MAKE them to do it!!!" (This is an actual example, BTW).

Uldis

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Supposing it is not/not only non-payment that is the problem, but also unprofessional behaviour on the part of the agency, it is very difficult to say anything that is not risky. Even to use the term "unprofessional behaviour" is risky (despite the fact that it is true) - yet it may be the "correct alternative", just to cite an example, to stating that the person at the agency yelled down the phone at you in a quite shocking manner, using extremely unprofessional terminology. That is just one example.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggest writing comments be mandatory in the Blue Board

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs