Why is an Italian outsourcer quoting a job in US$?
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Jan 18, 2006

I just had a look at a job posting:

Apart from the usual discussion about low rates offered in the jobs area, I wonder why an Italian outsourcer is quoting a job in US$... we all know who's on the losing side of this deal. I personally have the possibility to do my banking in Euros as well as Dollars, but having said that, I don't think it's appropriate for an Italian outsourcer to pay in dollars. Or maybe the day will come when US outsourcers will start paying un in Euros!

Does anyone else have any opinions to knock around?

[Edited at 2006-01-18 14:16]

[Edited at 2006-01-18 14:51]

[Edited at 2006-01-18 14:52]

[Edited at 2006-01-18 15:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:00
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
One reason might be... Jan 18, 2006

...that he received this job from an American client or agency and gets paid himself in USD. So not to make any mistakes by converting it into Euros or getting a rough deal, he takes the safe option of offering the payment in USD himself.

However, whatever he offers, you can always say that you will just accept payment in Euros and offer a rate in Euros that is roughly the same like the rate in USD, but of course slightly higher.

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Benefit of the Doubt Jan 18, 2006

Maybe he is looking for an American-English translator and assumes that such a person will most likely live in the US and therefore wish to be paid in US dollars. Of course, my first instinct was to say "to make a quick buck on the exchange rate" but I'm feeling (slightly) charitable.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:00
English to German
+ ...
Please edit your posting to comply with the forum rules Jan 18, 2006

Please note forum rule #12:

12. No client discussions

Comments regarding at a specific outsourcer, whether positive or negative, are not permitted.

May I therefore suggest to edit your posting by removing the link to the specific job.

Apart from the usual discussion about low rates offered in the jobs area, I wonder why an Italian outsourcer is quoting a job in US$... we all know who's on the losing side of this deal.

Who is losing? The specifics of the proposed business transactions are clear; obviously, you will need to take the exchange rate into account.

I personally have the possibility to do my banking in Euros as well as Dollars, but having said that, I don't think it's appropriate for an Italian outsourcer to pay in dollars.

Have you considered the possibility that the outsourcer has an end customer who pays in US dollars? Provided that both parties agree, it would be just as appropriate to invoice in Swiss francs.

Or maybe the day will come when US outsourcers will start paying un in Euros!

They do.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Ralf Jan 18, 2006

I did remove the link and you're absolutely right. My apologies, as it wasn't at all my intention to discuss a specific outsourcer, but to hear people's opinions about the Euro/Dollar exchange rate issue, and how it can affect rates.

Maybe I am in the minority feeling that the Euro/USD exchange rate can feel like a raw deal.

As for US outsourcers paying in Euros, I wish I knew one!

My Best Regards-

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks! Jan 18, 2006

Thanks for editing your post.

Maybe I am in the minority feeling that the Euro/USD exchange rate can feel like a raw deal.

Sorry, but I still don't get it.
The EUR/USD exchange rate is one of the most widely-publicised (and freely available) market prices in the world. Given that basically everyone knows what it is (provided they're interested, and have internet access), how can it be a raw deal? Obviously, your pricing in EUR and USD needs to reflect the exchange rate...

Best regards,
Ralf

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
USD ist the default valuta Jan 18, 2006

If one is careless the dollar is used by default when posting a job or bidding for one. Two years ago I suggested to change that, each member should be able to choose his default valuta in his profile and the form should adept to this automatically.
So perhaps there is not more to it than a small mistake by the poster.
Regards
Heinrich

David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
US$ Jan 19, 2006

[quote]JL Baker wrote:

I don't think it's appropriate for an Italian outsourcer to pay in dollars. Or maybe the day will come when US outsourcers will start paying un in Euros!

I have a client in Hong Kong who pays me in US$ and I live in Euroland. It's because my client gets a better rate for the US$ than for the euro. I also have an American client who quotes prices in euros/word which I have to invoice in US$ then I am paid through one of the Internet banking systems in euros.
It's a crazy old world but if you get paid tht's the bottom line.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is an Italian outsourcer quoting a job in US$?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums