Thread poster: Mikhail Kropotov

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:24
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 2, 2006

I was probably one of many translators who received a letter asking for a quote on a small job from a French translation agency.

Just as I was drafting my quote, I decided to check out the agency's website and other credentials. The website looked just fine. I thought for a moment if I should also go see if they are listed on the Blue Board. I mean, why didn't they post a job? It was a borderline decision but I thanked myself for it immediately.

It turned out that the outsourcer has a LWA of little over 1! It wasn't just that - they are banned from posting jobs on ProZ! Total non-payers with not a single good entry, they have the nerve to be sending out quote requests!

I'm not disclosing their identity per Forum Rules. Those who were contacted probably know who I'm talking about anyway.

Thanks, ProZ, for saving my time and the major headache of dealing with non-paying clients!

Direct link Reply with quote

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
Member (2004)
English to French
Hurray for the BB! May 2, 2006

It helped numerous times too. Also, when I was still unsure, or if the offer sounded fishy, I wrote to the translators listed and got their honest two cents.

Nina

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Absolutely so! May 2, 2006

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

It helped numerous times too. Also, when I was still unsure, or if the offer sounded fishy, I wrote to the translators listed and got their honest two cents.

Nina

Same here. Just a few minutes on the Blue Board BEFORE responding or sending a quote to some shady firm can save you a lot of money and efforts.. I think each and every one of us translators should take a minute to write, upon completion of the project, a LWA for each outsourcer we worked for. This is what this community is about. Thanks again for the BB!

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree May 3, 2006

Totally agree. Usually people complain about things which don't work but don't use to congratulate somebody doing the right thing. BB is a very good way to know who and how is the party we are dealing with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thanks for the Blue Board!

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs