Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
My posting has been squashed by a modator or an admin
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 09:30
English to German
+ ...
May 27, 2006

Why? At a time when newer media were not known or not used, wired lines were a basis. Now I did not request people to contact me on telephone, I had merely said submit your offers through proz.com. Which moderator takes the right to squash. Then the FAQ need be revised. Best Brandis
p.s whoever it was, it is unfair. I shall be sending a copy to the management and also publish amongst all my personal community. This moderator is not wise, my adv. is get rid of him/ her. It doesn´t help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:30
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Dear Brandis May 27, 2006

Your job was removed as a result of consultations between no fewer than 4 moderators.

By posting a job on ProZ.com, you by default agree to observe existing ProZ.com Job Posting Rules. (What do you think of these rules is another unrelated question, to propose improvements is your right, however until they are accepted/implemented, you have to observe the existing ones).

Uldis

Brandis wrote:

Why? At a time when newer media were not known or not used, wired lines were a basis. Now I did not request people to contact me on telephone, I had merely said submit your offers through proz.com. Which moderator takes the right to squash. Then the FAQ need be revised. Best Brandis
p.s whoever it was, it is unfair. I shall be sending a copy to the management and also publish amongst all my personal community. This moderator is not wise, my adv. is get rid of him/ her. It doesn´t help.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with you in a way May 27, 2006

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Your job was removed as a result of consultations between no fewer than 4 moderators.

By posting a job on ProZ.com, you by default agree to observe existing ProZ.com Job Posting Rules. (What do you think of these rules is another unrelated question, to propose improvements is your right, however until they are accepted/implemented, you have to observe the existing ones).

Uldis

Brandis wrote:

Dear Uldis,
A private person posts a requirement like this morning or yesterday or as has been seen often in the past. It is not like a stranger posting. Only my requiremnt is, no tel contatcts, the address has been given and it is a regd. company by german law. Through all this turmoil rules or no rules my purpose is not being fulfilled. How can you or the other 4 moderators take care of this. Does it mean, that all my postings would be equally squashed. You make me turn to other portals in the world, did you know that. I felt I should post here, as I am deriving my advantage from proz.com Pl. tell those moderators that have mutuallly agreed ( there would be some reason to publish) to let their emotions or rules by the side. Does this demarcation or a moderator´s rule in a potetial job issue, make me an outcast. Is that the attempt. I haven´t been using tel. lines for over 5 years. What to do now. What was my posting ?Best Brandis

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:30
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
You can May 27, 2006

choose which of your contact details will be visible publicly and which not (please note that you can not hide all of them), however all required fields have to be filled in and your contact details you have chosen not to be shown publicly, none the less will be on file for ProZ.com Staff.

Hope that helps,

Uldis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The proz.com system offers May 27, 2006

to choose or not to choose. A moderator cannot force me or any other outsourcer. I am not a member since yesterday if you check my record and shall not tolerate this way of handling things. I have solely opted to receive offers via proz.com, is that a trouble ? If you cannot take the posting then don´t take it, squashing is not the best solution, learn now. Now I have no more time. All this sounds like bad and depressed moderator´s music. I shall go for my choices. Good luck. Best Brandis

gad
United States
Local time: 03:30
French to English
Just wondering May 27, 2006

Was a reason communicated to Brandis regarding the squashed posting? Because it seems strange that Brandis would have to start a thread to find this out.

Just an observation from an innocent bystander.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:30
SITE FOUNDER
Chart showing information required for job posters May 27, 2006

Hello Brandis,

Here is an image that shows what information is required for posting jobs, and which information is expected to be shown publicly with job posts and in blue board entries of job posters:

http://www.proz.com/images/job_poster_required_info.gif

I was not involved in the decision concerning your post, but reviewing it now, I see that the condition that was not met is that of having a phone number on file in the ProZ.com database. Your choice of providing a Skype address as an alternative is interesting, and could be considered, but as things stand a phone number is required.

I hope this helps you understand the decision. If this was not communicated to you earlier, I apologize on behalf of the moderator team. I am sorry the information was not put forward to you in the first place... this chart was created recently and we plan to release it soon.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But Henry.. May 28, 2006

Hi! thankyou for interception. But we haven´t been using regular tel. lines for over 3 years, either skype of go for dust networks. How to solve this situation in the future, I mean there are outsourcers I know who use skype very intensively as a medium of communication, document transfers because it is linked with a unique mailid (like a tel number which is unique). For now I have taken care of my issue, I have posted elsewhere and I am getting bids. Best Brandis

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
A question May 28, 2006

Brandis wrote:

But we haven´t been using regular tel. lines for over 3 years, either skype of go for dust networks.

Hi Brandis, I know, this is not the moment, but...
How can you access to internet without a phone number?

Kind regards

Fernando

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is fairly simple May 28, 2006

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Brandis wrote:

But we haven´t been using regular tel. lines for over 3 years, either skype of go for dust networks.

Hi Brandis, I know, this is not the moment, but...
How can you access to internet without a phone number?

Kind regards

Fernando
Every house or an office is equipped with a standrd 16 wired communication line, we take only two of these and connect via RJ-11 Jack to an adapter and from there take a RJ-45 Jack line multiplier, and do not connect a telephone unit. Surely there is a number but no rings at all. Actually the equipment is given and installed by the service provider, sometimes these gadgets look like small white boxes also known as line switches with an external amplifier.Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-05-28 11:01]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Why land telephone numbers are useful May 28, 2006

When I'm contacted by an unknown client I check the address, telephone and web site.

If the address is a hotmail one, the telephone a skype contact and the web site has no contact details I won't feel very comfortable.

If the preson is based in Chile and the telephone number is in Canada it will ring a bell too.

I think that land numbers are useful.

Claudia

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the early days of Translation business May 28, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

When I'm contacted by an unknown client I check the address, telephone and web site.

If the address is a hotmail one, the telephone a skype contact and the web site has no contact details I won't feel very comfortable.

If the preson is based in Chile and the telephone number is in Canada it will ring a bell too.

I think that land numbers are useful.

Claudia
people used to send documents and books via post along with their personally addressing letter indicating what they are and the signature or a seal etc., . Later Courier services and fax machines came, was the technology understandable to a certain extent? How did anybody know who was sending the document, whether the enquiry was serious enough to take up. Now we have email systems, further tools like skype, that make landline numbers superfluous. Many of my outsourcer contat me via skype and I find that very convenient. We have removed tel lines about 3 and a half years back and would probably never be installing. Where is the comfort level, I think it is a matter of habit. Best Brandis

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Claudia and Henry May 28, 2006

I think that phone numbers are necessary.

I use a cable connection to the net, skype, etc., but i also provide my clients with my phone numbers.

Still, some of them prefer a traditional phone call.

Alicia

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Alicia May 28, 2006

I used to provide my customers also with ph numbers a range of them, but we were spending more time atttending useless tel calls from china, USA, Germany that lead to less productivity and the running work was being stalled, or being constantly changed with newer requests. So we stopped with those gadgets. But some of you might be luckier than I am. Additionally I consider skype is a more comfortable tool that links emailids and provides digital transmission while using digital headsets, that reduce the noise as well. The performance is better than phone lines. My requirement here regarding the squashed poster is complete. May be something could be done about the job systems regulations ( for the staff and the management) or else I cannot post any jobs . Best Brandis

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:30
Japanese to English
I think Brandis has a valid point. May 28, 2006

Hello All,

I can certainly understand that having a land line contributes to the 'appearance' of clients/translators/anyone generally seeming more 'authentic,' in that you can check and validate their physical address, however I think that in the near future, like it or not, more and more people will be ditching their landlines and turning towards Skype or similar systems.

I find that these days, I can (and do) more than adequately field most communication with either my mobile phone, Skype, or of course email. Every month when I get my landline phone bill I am dismayed to have to pay "line rental charges" that amount to about 3 times as much as my actual "call usage." It seems like such a waste and I would love to be able to get rid of it altogether. However, this is just not possible at the moment for practical reasons, including some of those mentioned above. Still, I will definitely continue to actively look into getting rid of it at some point!

I think it is worth considering that in this day and age of technological advances, not to mention a time when many people are physically so mobile (particularly in this industry where many of us perhaps have more motivation or cause to travel around), that "virtual" phone systems will become increasingly more common. What about "SkypeIn" - Users can get up to 10 dedicated Skype "phone numbers" (not just IDs) so that Skype non-Users can call them from anywhere in the world (this is not a free service, however). Each SkypeIn number can be based in a different state or country, so (for example) you could have one UK number, one in the US (or wherever your clients are based) and clients could potentially phone you for the cost of a local call, even though you may be on the other side of the world. So the situation that Claudia describes above, "If the person is based in Chile and the telephone number is in Canada it will ring a bell too" could be a very real possibility, without having to necessarily incite suspicion (although true, in that scenario you would assume the person would also provide a Chile-based number....this is just an example.)

Perhaps not this week or even this year, but I do think it is worthwhile considering the possibility of allowing a Skype ID/SkypeIn phone number to be a valid contact method in the future, particularly as an option for regular site users. For non-ProZ users or outsourcers whose postings require vetting, perhaps this option could be removed (or alternatively, validated as part of the vetting process, time permitting...)

My 2 cents. Thanks for the bandwidth.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My posting has been squashed by a modator or an admin

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs