Need accurate job statistics from translation agencies and companies
Thread poster: Imad Almaghary
Imad Almaghary
Local time: 23:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 4, 2006

Avery nice warm welcome to proz.com visitors and members and all of you

Actually I am wondering whether translation agencies, as they post jobs here on proz.com, could give this piece of information. For the most part, I need for this piece of information in a study I am doing at the moment.

The statistics part is

How many, in accurate number if possible or in estimate, translators apply to the jobs of: -
English and Arabic pairs
English and French pairs
English and German pairs
Other wanted pairs in the translation market.

So when you post a job how many translators apply for that job?

Yours
Mr. Imad

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:11
German to French
+ ...
How many replies Jun 4, 2006

I think it will depends very much on what the agency is looking for and offering in the first places.

Numbers does not matter. It only matters to get the right translator.

You will have to give a bit more conditions :

If an agencies offers a job to anybody at a very high price (very utopian), much more translators are going to apply than if there are restrictions on the prices offered or on the requirement.

In my opinion really, having a high number of applications does not do any favour to the agency because you don't have the time to go through all the application.

Thus: either the agency restricts the amount of possible translators and get through the few application for a fine tuning or it will have to do the job to go through an awful lot of application and takes the first possible translator even if it is not the best one (because the best one may have been the last and got overlooked).

I remember once, my partner did not give much information for the job and we got more than 75 applications for a translation in 3 pairs. I do remember that for the pair GE-EN we got so many e-mails that he gave up reading them after the 8th or 10th application. That was really not fair but we didn't have the time to go through all of them.

If you don't set more conditions on your study, you will get any possible answer depending on how each agency is proceeding.

[Edited at 2006-06-04 18:15]

Imad Almaghary
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for specific numbers Jun 4, 2006

Dear Yolande Haneder

Actually I got the number of 75 applicants.
My study concerns about how large the translation market is.
In my previous forum question I learnt that proz has 35000 visitors a month according to Henry the proz founder and in that forums I asked about the number of members in proz and I made a survey and learnt that one of the sites gets 47000000 hits for 1000 pages. Well this statisitcs benefits very much.

I am concerned with number of applicants and if it is difficult to give a very accurate number please give it in estimate and I will be thankful for you

Thanks again Yolande Haneder and keep in touch. waving at you and enjoy your time.

Yours
Mr. Imad

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Number of job applicants is not available for all jobs Jun 5, 2006

Many jobs posted on ProZ.com do not request responses via the site, so there would be no way to learn how many people apply for those jobs. Also, a great many jobs are placed by outsourcers who contact ProZ.com members via their profiles rather than by using job postings. Again, no mechanism exists for gathering statistics on how many jobs are placed using that method, since it involves direct contact.

If you search recent forum discussions on jobs, I think you can get a clearer picture of why such statistics would not be readily available.

German to French
+ ...
How many applicants Jun 5, 2006

Maybe you should take the number shown on the bids and multiply it by a factor of 2 or 3 and you get an image of the number of applicants (even if asking a bid on proz, you get e-mails from other translators).

You have however to consider that not all application are valid applications (you can get a picture if you read the line "please do not apply if you meet the criteria" - unfortunately not even taken into account) because there are always an awful lot of application that are just wasting your time with offers for other pairs or some translators translating everything.
You have then to add some agencies that seem to anser EVERY request for quote with standard answer.

I guess no agency won't even get a number because once the job had been given, they don't loose time counting the overflowing of the mail box.

For the pairs you have given, I may say there are more than enough or there is something wrong with the offer.

Imad Almaghary
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It happended to me Yolada Jun 5, 2006

Good morning

It happened to me really when someone contacted me through my profile and I then refused to do the job because I think that is against rules of proz.com

Thansk Yolada and happy translation work for you and for proz members. I appreciate your reply. Take care.

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Starving for 'ethical' reasons? Jun 5, 2006

Imad Almaghary wrote:

It happened to me really when someone contacted me through my profile and I then refused to do the job because I think that is against rules of proz.com

Hello Imad,

which ProZ rule is forbidding to take jobs in any quantity from any source?

You mean for so called ethical reasons you declined a job offer?
I doubt statistics will solve your problems.

H.G. Liepert

[Bearbeitet am 2006-06-05 10:59]

Imad Almaghary
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you sure about it? Jun 5, 2006

Hello Yolande Haneder

You said
"Maybe you should take the number shown on the bids and multiply it by a factor of 2 or 3 and you get an image of the number of applicants "

If this is certainly correct then it helps me very very much in my study.

Enjoy your time Yolande Haneder and take care.
Thanks from the heart of hearts.
Mr. Imad

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:11
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

ProZ.com promotes placing jobs through profiles Jun 5, 2006

On the contrary, rather than having a rule against contacting people via their profile to *do* a job, there are several mechanisms established on ProZ.com specifically to help outsourcers find service providers (translators, interpreters...) by contacting ProZ.com members and users via their profiles. That is why there is such a thorough search function available via the directory. See:

http://www.proz.com/directory

Also, one of the features of ProZ.com membership is the possibility of contacting 100 service providers who fit certain criteria, to *offer* them work.

Note that what is prohibited is using the direct contact functions to *offer* your services as a service provider.

In fact, I rarely respond to job postings myself: most of the work I get through this site comes from people who contact me through my profile.

Imad Almaghary wrote:

Good morning

Thansk Yolada and happy translation work for you and for proz members. I appreciate your reply. Take care.

German to French
+ ...
Can't be of any use for any study Jun 5, 2006

Imad Almaghary wrote:

Hello Yolande Haneder

You said
"Maybe you should take the number shown on the bids and multiply it by a factor of 2 or 3 and you get an image of the number of applicants "

If this is certainly correct then it helps me very very much in my study.

Enjoy your time Yolande Haneder and take care.
Thanks from the heart of hearts.
Mr. Imad

This opinion alone won't help you much. It depends on what the agency is offering. If I convert your rate in USD to my usual rate in EUR, I am nearly offering 4 times as much as you and it is not a surprise that I get many answers (and I am not differenciating between PROZ members and non PROZ members).

Maybe you should start to differenciate between :
- Agencies offering less than USD 0,05
- Agencies offering between USD 0,05 and 0,08
- Agencies offering between USD 0,08 and 0,12
- Agencies offering more than USD 0,12

This may make a basis for your analysis.

Imad Almaghary
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are there any accurate numbers Jun 5, 2006

Good morning Yolande and Yolanda and all of you

You have been really helpful and I appreciate your time when you reply to my topic. Thank you Yolande and yolanda once again. I hope for you the best. Take care.
Just are there any numbers and statistics that are specific with certain memorable past experience.

My admiration goes to proz as well.

Accept my regards please and keep in touch.
Thanks
Mr. Imad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need accurate job statistics from translation agencies and companies

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs