Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >
New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
French to English
Bumped Jun 29, 2006

This thread has been somewhat unconventionally bumped by posting a new thread with a link to it. Hope that keeps it in the public eye (the same thought occured to me yesterday, but I've only acted on it since others seem to share my view).

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:15
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Charlie, but I have removed the bump. Jun 29, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

This thread has been somewhat unconventionally bumped by posting a new thread with a link to it. Hope that keeps it in the public eye (the same thought occured to me yesterday, but I've only acted on it since others seem to share my view).

Thanks, Charlie, I know your intentions are good and I appreciate your willingness to put out word, but I would prefer to close out this discussion among the group that is still here, especially given that the focus is now on our reasons for not (yet) offering out/out as an option. Bringing a new wave of people to the page might detract from that focus.

After we close out this thread, and implement some things technically, we will post again. What is more, our intention now is to send a notice about this new feature, and the options available, to each and every member.

So don't worry, everyone will hear.

Again, thank you.

Henry (still typing that posting, believe it or not...)

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
Local time: 19:15
Thanks, Charlie Jun 30, 2006

I'd like to also thank Charlie once again.

Just to keep the eye on the ball: What's the deal with the future "channel" (whether people opt in or opt out of this proposed function) for tracking translator evaluations?

And, speaking of tracking, I submitted a ticket (#28474) to cancel my membership on Tuesday. I haven't heard a peep (it was assigned to "Cathy").

There is lots of stuff that people should realize here with regard to important changes. A shift
... See more
I'd like to also thank Charlie once again.

Just to keep the eye on the ball: What's the deal with the future "channel" (whether people opt in or opt out of this proposed function) for tracking translator evaluations?

And, speaking of tracking, I submitted a ticket (#28474) to cancel my membership on Tuesday. I haven't heard a peep (it was assigned to "Cathy").

There is lots of stuff that people should realize here with regard to important changes. A shift from a good-natured board to a data-collection company. I heard there's money in that!

All I hear in response is that people should knock it off with the conspiracy theories (although no one is connecting this with the JFK assassination) and people should refrain from providing any legal theories (they should have a lawyer from their country contact ProZ, and then the ProZ lawyers will "work with them"). But not everyone has a lawyer, especially among the unwashed masses here, but more importantly, many members aren't as amicable as Luis.

So ... in closing, I'd like to thank the valued member Charlie, who is a super guy, and unfortunately his good-natured attempt to bring this topic up among people had to be sacrificed to the greater good of having the fee-recipient present the topic in a controlled manner.
Collapse

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
German forum Jun 30, 2006

What's odd is that I decided to post the same topic in the German forum before I read this. Then I read this. LOL

Yeah, it should be kept silent, especially among people who don't feel comfortable in English.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I'm taking over your ticket, MichaelRS Jun 30, 2006

MichaelRS wrote:

You got a response in twelve hours from Patrick. Cathy works part time and with it being the closing days of our membership campaign, she has not yet gotten to it. I took it over (now, one day and 14 hours after you submitted it.)
There is lots of stuff that people should realize here with regard to important changes. A shift from a good-natured board to a data-collection company. I heard there's money in that!

There is no such shift. In fact, I don't even know what such a shift would constitute.
All I hear in response is that people should knock it off with the conspiracy theories

Yes, I would appreciate that.

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
.. Jun 30, 2006

"I'm taking over your ticket, MichaelRS"

I forgot to write above: I can see that. LOL

It's not the end, Henry, believe me.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Sorry not to have responded yet! Jun 30, 2006

Folks, I must apologize. I promised to post today, but once I got writing I wanted to clarify a number of points. I will review my post when I am fresh in the morning, discuss it with the team, and then post.

So I ask for your patience again. This is an important issue and as members and participants in this thread, you deserve a response.

Advanced warning: it's an uncharacteristically long one for me!

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
That's okay, Henry Jun 30, 2006

That's okay, Henry -- you don't translate anymore, you're not used to deadlines!!

[I'm joking, I'm JOKING, already!!]

Although, if this were a translation job, you'd likely get some baaadd feedback on your profile for being late...would you like to opt out?

[Edited at 2006-06-30 04:33]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
LOL, Terry Jun 30, 2006

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D. wrote:

That's okay, Henry -- you don't translate anymore, you're not used to deadlines!!

[I'm joking, I'm JOKING, already!!]

Although, if this were a translation job, you'd likely get some baaadd feedback on your profile for being late...would you like to opt out?

It did feel like those old deadlines... I don't miss them!

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'll say... Jun 30, 2006

Henry wrote:
For those of you who can not make out what just happened, MichaelRS tried to get us to issue a refund on what was a free TGB membership.

This thread has more plot turns than "Falcon Crest"

Henry, looking forward to your uncharacteristically long posting, whenever you get to it...I must say you do know how to work a cliffhanger (I say this with regard)

Buenas noches,

Susana

Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
One more out/out vote... Jun 30, 2006

I hope it's not too late to jump in with my $0.02! This entire thread ran down so fast that I wasn't even aware of it until someone brought it to my attention earlier this evening. Three days, 30+ pages, hundres of opinions, and me working on a translation instead of reading the forum!

Anyway, I wanted to add my vote to the out/out camp, and very strongly so. After spending a long time reading through most of this t
... See more
I hope it's not too late to jump in with my $0.02! This entire thread ran down so fast that I wasn't even aware of it until someone brought it to my attention earlier this evening. Three days, 30+ pages, hundres of opinions, and me working on a translation instead of reading the forum!

Anyway, I wanted to add my vote to the out/out camp, and very strongly so. After spending a long time reading through most of this thread, I simply cannot fathom why Proz would want to collect information that it can never use! There just isn't any good reason at all for doing that, and multiple bad reasons (as many others have made abundantly clear).

Of course, for those who want it, by all means go ahead and implement it and let them use it to their heart's content! Let them have features to highlight their favorite superlative feedback in flashing neon text, 40 points tall, if that's what they want. If it works for them, then great!

But please don't impose it on the rest of us.

Just leave us totally out of it, without collecting or storing any comments from anyone about us. If my clients want to tell me what they think of my work, then they already have my phone number and e-mail address: Why would they need to use Proz to let me know?

One thing I did notice that nobody else seems to have brought up, is the fact that Proz could, in fact, be forced to reveal the infamous "useless-information-that-nobody-wanted-recorded-and-that-nobody-can-see-but-that-we-collected-anyway". How? The privacy statement makes it clear: It says (paraphrased) that Proz will cooperate with legal requirements to reveal all data, so all that you need is a hot-shot lawyer with a convincing reason who manages to subpoena the entire data-base, and all of a sudden that oh-so-secret, never-to-be-revealed information on EVERY MEMBER is out there in the public domain... Not that I think it WOULD happen, but the fact remains that it COULD happen. It's just one more nail in the coffin of WWA.

Count me out. Very out. Out/out, in fact.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I just want to give you my opinion Jun 30, 2006

Of course, for those who want it, by all means go ahead and implement it and let them use it to their heart's content! Let them have features to highlight their favorite superlative feedback in flashing neon text, 40 points tall, if that's what they want. If it works for them, then great!

But please don't impose it on the rest of us.

Just leave us totally out of it, without collecting or storing any comments from anyone about us. If my clients want to tell me what they think of my work, then they already have my phone number and e-mail address: Why would they need to use ProZ.com to let me know?

I totally agree with the opinion I am quoting and with the many other opinions against this feature, for many many reasons.

Please don't impose it!

Angioletta

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
On being a "super guy" Jun 30, 2006

xxxMichaelRS wrote:

So ... in closing, I'd like to thank the valued member Charlie, who is a super guy

Given subsequent events, I'd just like to make clear, publicly, that I have not the faintest idea who MichaelRS is. I wouldn't want anyone reading this thread to think I have had, have now, or will knowing have in future, any association whatsoever with him. Just to avoid getting tarred with the same brush, like.

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
I've got a feeling Jun 30, 2006

...that this post is going to be several pages long

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »