Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >
New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Patience is a virtue... Jun 30, 2006

I'm quite curious to see some answers, hopefully clear and concise. The more I think about this whole data collecting issue, and whatever the reasons may be behind it, the more uncomfortable I become.
Regards,
Jennifer

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Temporarily locking the thread Jun 30, 2006

We have gone way off topic here, so I am going to lock this thread temporarily until Henry is ready to post. I will also consult with other modz in order to possibly remove any posts that include personal attacks instead of discussing the "willingness to work again" feature. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Maria

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for your patience... Jun 30, 2006

... those of you who were patient!

I have reopened the thread. Please don't continue the personal exchanges.

I am going to make my post in stages, because there are several topics to cover to really answer the question. Breaking up the post will give an opportunity for anyone who wants to to ask for clarification, or to reply. It will also make it easier to "reply with quote", etc.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Development at ProZ.com, the community and you (part 1) Jun 30, 2006

I have been asked to explain why we are reluctant to offer out/out. But before I do that, let me say that we have decided, based on your feedback, to offer just that. So that there will be no misunderstanding, let me repeat: not only will you not be required to *use* the WWA system (of course, this was always the case), you will also be able to *prevent others* from making private entries that only you would have seen. It will be your choice. All site users will be informed of their options.
... See more
I have been asked to explain why we are reluctant to offer out/out. But before I do that, let me say that we have decided, based on your feedback, to offer just that. So that there will be no misunderstanding, let me repeat: not only will you not be required to *use* the WWA system (of course, this was always the case), you will also be able to *prevent others* from making private entries that only you would have seen. It will be your choice. All site users will be informed of their options.

But I'll get to the choices later. For now, I want to address what some of you perceived as reluctance.

To those who have already read this far in the thread, let me first offer an apology: this has been a long thread, and this is going to be a lengthy series of posts. I feel it is important that I take this opportunity to address not only the specific question upon which this thread has turned its focus, but also to share the thoughts and philosophies that underpin our overall approach to the development of this and all new features.

As I said, I will post in segments. Here is the first...

Part 1: We work for you. Always.

First of all, I'd like to repeat that we at ProZ.com, and I personally, appreciate your membership and that we view it as our job to serve you. You, our members, are our clients, and all of us at ProZ.com work for you. Our mission is to "provide tools and opportunities for translators to network, expand their businesses, do better work and have more fun." Our mission is the first thing that every one of us at ProZ.com is taught (we even include it in our offer packets). It is also what we review each year to see how we are doing. Many of you have answered the surveys in which we ask how we are doing specifically on each promise of the mission statement.

And in addition to the mission, we never forget that maintaining your trust, and your patronage, is critical to our existence in this line of work.

So you can be sure that we are under no illusions there. Understanding that you are our bosses, then, we do not make a practice of imposing anything upon you -- as a group -- that you do not like. We listen to your needs, we field your requests, we offer up ideas, and we refine based on your feedback -- the feedback of the community.

When you -- as a community -- like something, we improve upon it. When you -- as a community -- don't like something, we change it. (And when you really don't like something, we get rid of it.)

The website that you see today is the result of this approach. I hope you can look around this place and see a number of things that you like and that are useful to you. If you can, I trust you know that this can only have been possible with the approach above.

All of which is just to say that we are listening, and that there is no agenda here other than serving you. We are a for-profit company, but we are not stupid; we understand that we make our livings by serving you.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Development at ProZ.com, the community and you (part 2) Jun 30, 2006

Guessing that the last post will not be very controversial, I'll move right into part 2...

The question I have been asked is why we would hesitate to offer you out/out, when technically it would be simply to do so.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer that question...

Part 2: ProZ.com is an interconnected whole, a workplace used by a collaborative community

Some of you have complained that you can not understand why offering an optio
... See more
Guessing that the last post will not be very controversial, I'll move right into part 2...

The question I have been asked is why we would hesitate to offer you out/out, when technically it would be simply to do so.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer that question...

Part 2: ProZ.com is an interconnected whole, a workplace used by a collaborative community

Some of you have complained that you can not understand why offering an option to out out of receiving WWA entries is not as simple a matter as it might seem. You have argued that all you want is personal choice, that ProZ.com is your business card, that you would simply like to be able to control your experience completely.

These are valid requests, of course, and to the extent that it is possible, we would like to offer you as much personal choice as we can (such as your own personal website). But here's the problem, and what needs to be considered...

ProZ.com is not merely something used by individuals acting in a vacuum. It is an interconnected whole, a society, a community, in which the rights and actions of one, influence the rights and actions of others.

The same is true in real-world workplaces. What this means, for example, is that when I turn up the heat to suit my preference, another person might open a window.

In other words, we're all in the same boat. That means that when features are implemented, the questions we must address are not merely questions of individual freedom. We have to consider how a feature meets the needs of a diverse body. Often, there are multiple sub-communities, or camps, with diverse interests and preferences.

I'll explain how that relates specifically to this new feature. But before I do so, let me talk about our approach to these situations. (to be continued...)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New at ProZ.com: Outsourcer "willingness to work again" feedback for translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »